Author Topic: PSR SX600 store custom styles in internal memory possible?  (Read 1390 times)

ACSACS

PSR SX600 store custom styles in internal memory possible?
« on: October 25, 2021, 06:41:34 PM »
Hi, I downloaded some of Jan's dance styles to use on my new SX600.

They work very well while the USB stick is in the socket. Is there a way to transfer these to the internal memory of the keyboard to use without the USB stick in the socket?

Any help appreciated, many thanks.

Offline overover

Re: PSR SX600 store custom styles in internal memory possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
Hi ACSACS,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Of course, you can copy files such as Styles from the USB stick to the internal user drive (or vice versa).

Note, however, that the internal flash memory in which the User drive is located is only 20 MB (megabytes, not gigabytes!) on the SX600. Style files are on average between 50 and 100 KB (kilobytes) in size. So theoretically there would be space for around 200 - 400 Styles.

Please note, however, that the "Expansion" folder is also located in the User drive (to which the Styles, Registrations and Multi Pads from the installed Expansion Packs are automatically copied). The separate Expansion memory (100 MB) only stores the wave samples of the installed Expansion Voices.

For the reasons mentioned, I would rather store/manage all files on the USB stick. This also has the advantage that you can make backups of the USB stick very quickly and you can always carry a "reasonably up-to-date" replacement stick with you.

You could also use a "micro" USB stick that is only a few millimeters long. The stick is thus protected against mechanical stress and could even remain plugged in when the keyboard is being transported. However, many users use a different solution, namely a (short) USB extension cable. This protects the USB socket if the USB stick is frequently plugged in and out.

Please read the chapter "File Management" in the SX600 Owner's Manual, pages 25 - 30 first. In this case, the sections "Creating a New Folder", "Renaming a File / Folder" and "Copying / Moving Files" are important.

Note that you have to be in the correct File Selection display. So if you want to copy Styles you have to be in the Style Selection display, to copy Registration Bank files you have to be in the Registration Bank Selection display, etc.

The basic procedure for copying Styles is as follows:

- Open the Style Selection display (by pressing a Style Category button).

- Select the appropriate tab (Preset, User or USB) which contains the file/folder you want to copy by using the TAB < > buttons.

- Make sure that the copy is shown at the bottom of the display. If this is not shown on the display, press the [lower 8] (File) button to call it up.

- Press the [lower 3] (Copy) button.

- Move the cursor to the desired file/folder by using the cursor buttons, and then press the [ENTER] button. Pressing the [ENTER] button selects (highlights) the file / folder. To cancel the selection, press the [ENTER] button again.

(Press the [lower 8] (All) button to select all files / folders indicated on the current display including the other pages. To cancel the selection, press the [lower 8] (All Off) button again.)

- Press the [lower 7] (OK) button to confirm the file/folder selection.

- Select the destination tab (User or USB) to paste the file/folder, by using the TAB < > buttons. If necessary, select the destination folder by using the cursor buttons, and then press the [ENTER] button.

- Press the [lower 4] (Paste) button to paste the file/folder selected in step 4. The pasted file/folder appears on the display at the appropriate position among the files in alphabetical order.

- Finished! :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:48:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

ACSACS

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
This is SO helpful - thnaks very much!

It's easy when you know how to do it!

I have so much to learn on this keyboard, but things are coming back to me from about 10 years ago when I had a PSR S900. Lots of similarities.

Thanks again.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
You're welcome, ACSACS! :)

I am very happy that I was able to help you with my tips!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)