Author Topic: Layering three voices  (Read 2370 times)

Layering three voices
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
Hi Genos team,

Is it possible to layer three voices above the split point? For example, R1, R2, and R3? I can't see a way of doing that. Here's what I need.

Left hand - B3 organ
R1 - Sax section
R2 - Sax voice
R3 - Brass voice

After setting these up, I would use the Pan controls to create a nice stereo effect. When I try to add the R3 brass voice, R3 replaces the R1+R2 voices instead of just layering them. Any ideas most appreciated. Thanks!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Layering three voices
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
Hi Genos team,

Is it possible to layer three voices above the split point? For example, R1, R2, and R3? I can't see a way of doing that. Here's what I need.

Left hand - B3 organ
R1 - Sax section
R2 - Sax voice
R3 - Brass voice

After setting these up, I would use the Pan controls to create a nice stereo effect. When I try to add the R3 brass voice, R3 replaces the R1+R2 voices instead of just layering them. Any ideas most appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a split point problem. Ensure your R3 split point is the same as R1+R2.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
Hi Lee,

There are 3 different split points: Style, Left and Right3.

By default, the Style and Left split points are set to the same note (e.g. F#2) and the Right3 split point exactly one semitone higher (in this example G2). Then the Style control and the Left area go up to F#2, and from G2 the Right1/2/3 parts can be played layered.

If the Right3 split point is set higher, the Right 3 part can only be played from this higher note. In your case, the Right3 split point is probably set only slightly higher (e.g. to G#2 instead of G2). Then the Right1 and Right2 parts will only sound on a single note (namely G2) when the Right3 part is activated, and only Right3 will sound above.

Please refer also to the section "Setting the Split Point" in the Genos Owner's Manual, pages 49/50.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:58:56 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:54 PM »
I have my Keyboard to give me three right voices and a Left voice.
My split is set to Style G2 Left G2 Right3 Ab2. Works as you want it to.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I'll give this a try and report back. I knew there had to be a way. It only took the kind and wise words from my fellow Genos-ites  :D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
Hi Lee,

Here are a few additional notes:

The current split points are always automatically saved in Registrations (Style and Left split points with the "Style" tick, Right3 split point with the "Voice" tick).

If you always work with the same split points or want to avoid that the split points are changed by Registrations, you can check "Split Point" in "Menu > Utility > Parameter Lock". Settings can of course still be made directly in the Split Point display (press "Direct Access > ACMP").

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:27:55 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 05:44:26 PM »
Right, I thought as much Chris. Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 03:15:53 PM »
Okay, that worked folks! I went into Menu > Split and Fingering > R3 section. I rotated the wheel a few notches counter clockwise and all of a sudden the keyboard was set up as R1+R2+R3. I now have three voices with which to play. I can set the pans, reverb, and other neat stuff.

Thanks ;)!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »
Thanks for the detailed feedback, Lee!

P.S.
Don't forget to use "Parameter Lock" (as described before) if you have previous Registrations that may have stored different Split Point settings.

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 08:34:06 PM »
Got it, thanks Chris.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
H Lee
Also tune similar sounds, so they do separate instead of occupying the same space
ATB
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
Good idea, John! Thanks.