Neophyte playlist/registration crash and burn

Started by Rich Z, October 23, 2021, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronbo

Thanks for asking that question Eileen

I think you may have the answer there.

I will on occasion try to load what I want from the registration files. That could be the problem.I guess I confused playlists for registration files.

I have heard here on this forum that playlists are registration files.

I'm not disputing that, nor will I take it literally.

I will eliminate the Tyros 5 MF from my registration files as you recommend

Thanks, Eileen.. That was most helpful

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Fred Smith

Ron,

A Playlist is a list of registrations. Each entry in the playlist points to a registration file.

It makes no difference whether you load the registration yourself, or whether you get the Playlist to do it.

We should track down wat the Genos is checking for, as I'm sure it's bloody annoying waiting for it to finish. Do you have Playlist entries that point to registrations on a USB stick? Is the USB stick inserted when you power on the keyboard.

And maybe, how big is your biggest playlist file?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Ronbo

Hello Fred

The tyros 5 MF list is something like 148 pages
My playlists are all on the user drive,not on Usb

That list from tyros is huge for sure.

Thanks for your questions; we'll get to the bottom of this yet

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Fred Smith

Quote from: RONBO on November 06, 2021, 07:43:48 PM
Hello Fred

The tyros 5 MF list is something like 148 pages
My playlists are all on the user drive,not on Usb

That list from tyros is huge for sure.

Thanks for your questions; we'll get to the bottom of this yet

regards

Ron

I would delete the T5 playlist (after backing it up). See if that helps. It's easily put back afterwards.

What about your registration folder — how many files in it?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Ronbo

Fred

I had and just got rid of a Tyros 5 MF file in the registration folder.

I don't think I will miss it

There's 25 or so files in my registrations. Not many for sure but a admit I was shying away from using regs altogether.  I just might have a handle on the use of them now that I have a better view overall

Thanks for your help . Much appreciated

regards

Ron

Proud Genos2 owner

Rich Z

Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

EileenL

Yes I started the new thread with the download link on it as I felt it would be found easier than in the middle of an existing file.
Eileen
font]

Rich Z

BTW, I am getting this exact same "Checking." problem when I was looking at the MIDI files I have on my USB stick.  In one folder, the Genos actually gave an error message to the effect that there were too many files to process.  In another instance, I wanted to look at a folder with a LOT of subfolders, and although it did take a long time, it did eventually display the list of subfolders.  I haven't counted the files or subfolders involved, as I brought the USB stick back over to the house so I can beat them into submission to comply with the Genos's wishes.

So apparently this problem really has nothing at all to do with actual registrations or playlists.  It is something to do with just files and folders themselves, that for some reason Genos is "Checking." So what could it be checking for in registration files, MIDI files, and folders?

EileenL

Make sure you don't have to many files in one folder or Sub Folder. The Max is 500 but I keep it a little below this.
Eileen
font]

Fred Smith

Quote from: Rich Z on November 15, 2021, 05:17:15 PM
BTW, I am getting this exact same "Checking." problem when I was looking at the MIDI files I have on my USB stick.  In one folder, the Genos actually gave an error message to the effect that there were too many files to process.  In another instance, I wanted to look at a folder with a LOT of subfolders, and although it did take a long time, it did eventually display the list of subfolders.  I haven't counted the files or subfolders involved, as I brought the USB stick back over to the house so I can beat them into submission to comply with the Genos's wishes.

So apparently this problem really has nothing at all to do with actual registrations or playlists.  It is something to do with just files and folders themselves, that for some reason Genos is "Checking." So what could it be checking for in registration files, MIDI files, and folders?

Genos, like all Yamaha keyboards, searches sequentially in a directory of files. If you have a lot of files in a folder (regardless of the type of files), it can take the keyboard a while to find (or even worse, not find) a file.

Check the number of files in each of your folders on a computer. Keep the number below 500, but splitting into subfolders if necessary.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Rich Z

Well gee, the above mentioned MIDI folder that failed to be read by the Genos had 6,760 files in it.  Just a few too many??   ;D

I broke it up into alphabetical folders.  I seem to be doing that a lot lately, so I created a template of empty folders on my PC that I just use when needed by copying it to the USB stick and moving files or subfolders as needed to them.

So is the Genos really checking anything when it pops up that "Checking." message, or just reading the files to load them into it's internal file name listing display routine?

Speaking of number of files, so is this statement made by Yamaha just pie in the sky marketing talk?

What happens when you've filled up all ten? Well, you can save those together as a Registration "Bank," and you can have an almost unlimited number of Banks. You can then create a folder (or folders) to store your Registration Bank files.
[/quote}

Source: https://hub.yamaha.com/keyboards/k-how-to/genos-power-playing-using-registrations/

Or should the phrase be added that says "..if you should happen to live long enough to see it complete the internal 'Checking.'"

Fred Smith

Quote from: Rich Z on November 15, 2021, 08:11:23 PM
Well gee, the above mentioned MIDI folder that failed to be read by the Genos had 6,760 files in it.  Just a few too many??   ;D

I broke it up into alphabetical folders.  I seem to be doing that a lot lately, so I created a template of empty folders on my PC that I just use when needed by copying it to the USB stick and moving files or subfolders as needed to them.

So is the Genos really checking anything when it pops up that "Checking." message, or just reading the files to load them into it's internal file name listing display routine?

Speaking of number of files, so is this statement made by Yamaha just pie in the sky marketing talk?

What happens when you've filled up all ten? Well, you can save those together as a Registration "Bank," and you can have an almost unlimited number of Banks. You can then create a folder (or folders) to store your Registration Bank files.
[/quote}

Source: https://hub.yamaha.com/keyboards/k-how-to/genos-power-playing-using-registrations/

Or should the phrase be added that says "..if you should happen to live long enough to see it complete the internal 'Checking.'"

Yamaha's statement is accurate, as long as you keep a reasonable number of files in each folder.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Rich Z

Quote from: Fred Smith on November 15, 2021, 09:46:48 PM
Yamaha's statement is accurate, as long as you keep a reasonable number of files in each folder.

Cheers,
Fred

Well, one of the MIDI folders I opened up on the Genos has 459 subfolders in it.  I didn't time it but it took a pretty long time to clear the "Checking." screen and bring the Genos out of zombie mode.  I am pretty sure there will be a practical limit to where the "Checking." delay becomes unbearable and impractical to work with,  so I am taking that "unlimited" claim with a reasonably sized grain of salt, IMHO.

Fred Smith

Quote from: Rich Z on November 15, 2021, 10:44:33 PM
Well, one of the MIDI folders I opened up on the Genos has 459 subfolders in it.  I didn't time it but it took a pretty long time to clear the "Checking." screen and bring the Genos out of zombie mode.  I am pretty sure there will be a practical limit to where the "Checking." delay becomes unbearable and impractical to work with,  so I am taking that "unlimited" claim with a reasonably sized grain of salt, IMHO.

As you wish,

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

EileenL

I have hundreds of folders on my Genos and Also an underside USB which acts as my backup.
  Have followed Yamaha's instructions and never had a problem with having to wait for a file to be found. Good house keeping needed.

Eileen
font]