Author Topic: Volume Pedal Polarities - how to save different settings in one bank  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Runner4Fun

Hi all,
hope I'll find an answer on a finding today.
I know, it is possible to save the polarity of a volume controller pedal in a registration.
It is also possible, to assign the polarity to a single RIGHT-voice.
I now have an 8-button-registration-bank (all buttons with voices on RIGHT 1, 2 and 3) of which button 3 and 4 has a RIGHT 2 strings voice.
With "-" (minus) polarity setting on Pedal 3 (=FC7 volume pedal) I am able to fade in the strings voice (means pedal goes from down to up level) whilst using reg.-button 3 (or 4) with voices RIGHT 1 and 3.
In all other Reg.-buttons (1,2 and 5 to 8) polarity for RIGHT 2 should remain "+" (plus) for RIGHT 1, 2 and 3.
So a mixture of polarities of the volume pedal in different reg.-buttons should be applied.
I noticed today, if I change the pedal polarity it remains for the whole Reg.-bank.
Is this normal ?
Is it not possible to save different polarities within a reg.-bank ?
Or has my Genos a technical bug ?

I appreciate your answers vey much. Thanks

Best Regards
Klaus
... with his Genos2

Offline EileenL

Re: Volume Pedal Polarities - how to save different settings in one bank
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »
Why would you want to save different polarities to registrations. Just tap pedal and Direct Access and now just tick the sections you want the pedal to operate and save to registration buttons.

The following users thanked this post: Runner4Fun

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »
Hi Klaus,

The parameter "Pedal Polarity" can not be stored in Registrations, but only in the System Setup. I. The currently set polarity for each pedal is automatically stored in the System Setup when closing the Assignable display.

In Registrations, only the parameters "Foot Pedals Function" and "Foot Pedals Detail Setting" can be stored. A change of pedal polarity via Registrations is not provided. See also the attached picture (from the Genos Data List, section "Parameter List").

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:34:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Runner4Fun

Offline Runner4Fun

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks the both of you (especially to Chris), who answered above.
In so far I have to change my registrations and have to go a different way in that bank I talked about.
I thought a bit it could be a system setting which doesn't allow saving different polarities.
It is like it is and I am happy to have the explanation for this behaviour.
... a new experience ...
Best Regards
Klaus
... with his Genos2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 03:52:18 PM »
If you set the pedal's up in  the assignable page and at the bottom of the page remove the ticks from all except R2 you will have what you want and can save to your registrations. You can then set up your other registrations in that bank how you want them by selecting and ticking what you want. 

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
Hi Eileen,

I think you didn’t understand Klaus’s question correctly. He is not interested in activating/deactivating the volume pedal for certain Parts, but would like to operate the FC7 pedal with reverse polarity (so that the volume decreases the further the pedal is depressed) and save this setting in a Registration. Unfortunately, this is not possible because the current polarity of the pedals can only be saved in the System Setup.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:28 PM »
It could be volume but another situation where you need the same pedal to reverse polarities is if you use it to control pitch bend. If you use it sometimes for swell (volume) you normally want down to be an increase, but on pitch bend you want down to be a pitch decrease. So it needs to reverse polarity.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »
Hi Chris,
  My set up is the heal down to floor Very soft and toe down towards floor loud.
Is this not what he want's.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »
Not necessarily all the time as he indicated in his original post, and there can be other situations such as the example above.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 05:44:40 PM »
Hi Chris,
  My set up is the heal down to floor Very soft and toe down towards floor loud.
Is this not what he want's.

Hi Eileen,

This is the usual configuration for a volume pedal, as it is mostly used by Klaus. But in some cases he would like to reverse the function of the pedal.

If the FC7 is already connected before the keyboard is switched on (which is recommended), the polarity of the pedal is automatically determined during booting and set so that the full volume is achieved (or the MIDI value 127 is transmitted) when the pedal is fully depressed (toe down).

Saving the pedal polarity in Registrations or changing the polarity via Registrations (to reverse the function) is currently not possible with Yamaha keyboards.

Best regards,
Chris