Author Topic: Switching between registrations issue  (Read 2362 times)

Switching between registrations issue
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:23:18 PM »
New problem...here's the scenario.

I'm playing with Reg Bank 1. Button 1 has a setting with the Style running but the entire Accompaniment section is muted because I just need the Harmonizer for the right hand voice.
That song finishes and I switch to Reg Bank 2 and press Button 1, just to play a piano voice on all 76 keys.

Problem: When I start to play the piano voice saved to Reg Bank 2, Button 1, the default Style is running. Why doesn't the Style cancel when you switch Reg Banks?? This is EXTREMELY annoying and a major issue to performers.

The only way around this is to have the Harmonizer engage WITHOUT the Style in Reg Bank 1 running but that doesn't work because of a major delay in the attack versus application of the Harmonizer. Any ideas or work arounds? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline johan

Re: Switching between registrations issue
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
You can set the style volume to zero in the second bank.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 10:03:27 PM »
Good point, Johan but that means I would have to go through mounds of other registrations and set all the style parts to 0. I shouldn't have to do that. I think this is a serious oversite of the OS.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »
Hi Lee,

The Style will only start automatically if you have saved the Style Sync Start in the relevant Registration. If the Sync Start is not saved, you would have to press the Style Start/Stop button for the Style to start. In order to avoid that the Style is audible if the Start/Stop button is accidentally pressed, you would have to, as already suggested, set the Style volume in the relevant Registration to zero and thus save it.

By the way: If you don't need the Style anyway, you can switch off ACMP. But note, however, that the Style's Drums will still be played if you press the Start/Stop button (or if the Style Sync Start is "accidentally" activated). To control "Keyboard Harmony" with your left hand, it is sufficient to switch on the Left part. If you don't want to hear the LEFT Voice, just set the Left Volume to zero.

Important: In order for the ACMP status (On/Off) and the Left Voice settings (and also the Left Split Point) to be saved in Registrations, the "STYLE" checkmark must be set.

P.S.
It is by design that the Style does not stop when switching Registrations. This is the only way you can switch between the Style variations via Registrations or switch to another Style. In order to STOP a possibly running Style by activating a Registration, you could save the Ending #1 in this Registration (and also save the Style Volume set to zero).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:21:19 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: GaryZ

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:51:26 PM »
Hi Lee ,

I know how you feel as i just made a song and practicing It and if you do not silence some tracks like me, there's a pad that would not stop after switching registrations.
Chug Chug ChugGGGGGGGGG!! ;D.
We figure it out in the end though after a brainstorm.
For ages i could not fathom out why changing registration glitches kept happening until finding out that if you match the sound levels of a similar style the glitches stay away and all is fine.
There is a few things on the Genos i wished Yamaha sorted out like the not being able to step record with a user style  and a lack of voices when trying to make pads.
Padmaker does offer a lot more choices and that is the way to go. Maybe if i try that style unlocker i may get some luck.
We will keep battling on .
After a long time i now have mixed Going Loco as that was a hard  learn curve and with Ozone i will try to master only making small moves.
The trouble learning mixing is that i tended to change things a lot and kept going around in circles.
With the Genos you can forget gain staging in Cubase a that can destroy the songs feel after a lot of meddling.
A Genos recording is in the ball park for about 14 to 18 Luf's, so only minor adjustment only have to be made.
I was listening to that Pro mixer Warren Huart and he does not gainstage if he knows the output of his gear. It is only done when people send him music that is over or under cooked.
With Neutron, like Ozone it is quite eay to learn and the  Ozone Tonal balance plugin  helps you get your song totally balanced through the Low, Mids  and highs.
Also finding that the $20 Klanghelm metering is great for putting accross all tracks. It is worth the money and also lets you adjust mids, side.
I'd rather look at a meter than numbers flashing about.
So i am hoping soon to get music done a little quicker when coming out of my shell ;D

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:56:10 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the great help, guys!

I will try your suggestion, Chris. I don't need the Harmonizer all the time but I just learned a song that has a lot of string backup lines. Using the Harmonizer will give the song extra body.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
Chris, I saved Reg Bank 1 with the Sync Start off. When I switch to Reg Bank 2 and select Button 1, the rhythm still runs. Your idea doesn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong. The Memory button is set to memorize everything except MIDI Song, Audio Song, and Text. I don't need those saved.

Any further ideas? Thanks...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »
Chris, I saved Reg Bank 1 with the Sync Start off. When I switch to Reg Bank 2 and select Button 1, the rhythm still runs. Your idea doesn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong. The Memory button is set to memorize everything except MIDI Song, Audio Song, and Text. I don't need those saved.

Any further ideas? Thanks...

Memorizing SyncStart has no effect if a style is running when the registration is loaded.

If a style is running when a registration is changed, it will continue running.

The only way to stop a running style is to memorize an ending (with volume set to zero if you don't want to hear it).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 07:19:30 PM »
Right said Fred!!

Chug Chug!!  "get that volume down" ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
Lee, if you want to do what you describe you need to ensure first that a previous style is not running. This may not be particularly "iffy" since if you are performing you will presumably have used an ending or at least been in the habit of manually pressing start/stop at the end of the previous song anyway. Then if you ensure the piano registration saves start/stop in the off position no style or rhythm will be activated when it is used.
As Fred says, setting the style rhythm to zero (or all style parts if you insist  :o) would be an extra precaution in case "the worst" happens ;) ;)
John
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:39:07 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Fred, I think I see what you're saying. I must set up Reg Bank 2, Button 1 to play the muted Ending 1 as soon as the button is pushed and that will cancel the style? I think Chris tried to get that through to me and my aging brain cells. I see now. I'll give that a try.

Many thanks again :D!