Author Topic: move song from USB drive to DGX-650  (Read 2714 times)

Offline dr4sight

move song from USB drive to DGX-650
« on: October 18, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »
Usually after I record a song on my DGX-650 I process the wave file using Audacity and save it to the cloud as an mp3 file.

Today, just for kicks, I thought I'd transfer one of those mp3's to the piano and play it back (rather than just listening to it on my PC).

Apparently the piano doesn't recognize the mp3 file. 

What am I doing wrong and can moving the song to the piano be done so that I've added to the User Song list?

Thanks.

Larry

Offline Fred Smith

Re: move song from USB drive to DGX-650
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
Usually after I record a song on my DGX-650 I process the wave file using Audacity and save it to the cloud as an mp3 file.

Today, just for kicks, I thought I'd transfer one of those mp3's to the piano and play it back (rather than just listening to it on my PC).

Apparently the piano doesn't recognize the mp3 file. 

What am I doing wrong and can moving the song to the piano be done so that I've added to the User Song list?

Yamaha keyboards can handle only certain specs for MP3's. The specs will be in your manual. Typically, it's 44.1KHz, 16-bit, stereo.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: johan

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
The DGX650 does not support playback of mp3 files. You will need to convert to WAV format if you want to play the file on your keyboard.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Hi Larry,

Yes, Johan is right: As can be seen from the specifications (e.g. in the DGX-650 Owner's Manual, page 80), the Audio Recorder of the DGX-650 is only compatible with the .wav format (playback and recording).

By the way: If you convert an MP3 to the .wav format (e.g. because you no longer have the original .wav file), you should use the following target format:

.wav 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, stereo

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:12:40 PM »
This is easy to do in audacty. Import the file, change to waw and export.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
The DGX650 does not support playback of mp3 files. You will need to convert to WAV format if you want to play the file on your keyboard.

I used Audacity to change the file to a WAV format file.  It plays fine on my PC using the VLC player but when I plug the USB drive into the piano I don't see any way to either play the file or to move it to the piano's memory.
Any advice on how to do it (assuming it's possible)
Larry

Offline dr4sight

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
Hi Larry,

Yes, Johan is right: As can be seen from the specifications (e.g. in the DGX-650 Owner's Manual, page 80), the Audio Recorder of the DGX-650 is only compatible with the .wav format (playback and recording).

By the way: If you convert an MP3 to the .wav format (e.g. because you no longer have the original .wav file), you should use the following target format:

.wav 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, stereo

I was able to locate the original wave file and processed it in Audacity.  Then somehow (don't ask me what buttons I pushed and in what order) I got it into the piano and voila, I was able to hear it thru the 650's speakers.  And yes, it sounded better there than on my PC speakers which are nothing to write home about.
thanks for all the help everyone.

Larry

Best regards,
Chris

Offline johan

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »
You need to press the SONG/AUDIO button until audio is selected. You should then see the list of wav files that are on the usb. They need to be in the correct format as Chris has mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:35:50 PM by johan »
SX700 and S670

Offline johan

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »
Ok. Glad to see it worked!
SX700 and S670