Author Topic: Challenge: Create a compressor side-chain kick effect on Genos  (Read 1644 times)

Offline chony

Challenge: Create a compressor side-chain kick effect on Genos
« on: October 18, 2021, 05:59:13 AM »
Challenge:

In EDM music there's a common effect where the kick drum compresses the sound of a synth. So that if you have 4 kicks on a 4/4, it creates a pumping sound on the synth. Here's what that would look like if you drew it as automation in a DAW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv6zyluxslcvjzg/CubaseSS.png?dl=0

Can anyone figure out a creative way to get this effect on a Right Hand lead voice on Genos.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- ARPEGGIO: I had hopes for the gate section but there are a few problems. The main one being that the time of the ARP is not triggered by the 4/4 consistency of the beat, but by when you place your finger on the key.
- VOICE ATTACK SETTINGS: Doesn't work for same reason as ARP.
- INSERT EFFECTS: The closest thing I came to it was a WAWA tremolo effect but still not what I'm looking for.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Challenge: Create a compressor side-chain kick effect on Genos
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »
I don't know if it's possible. Since Side Chain volume is controlled by another track.
But on cubase it's easy. And there are presets for it.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 05:45:15 PM »
I don't know if it's possible since Side Chain volume is controlled by another track.

Right on the money, Norman.

The UNI COMP DSP algorithm has four parameters for side chain: on/off, EQ Q, EQ freq, and EG gain. it is the same algorithm as Montage/MODX, except Montage/MODX provide a way to connect a part to the side chain input. It's in the Montage/MODX user interface and effects engine.

The Genos (PSR, Tyros) legacy XG effects engine doesn't have such a feature, i.e., using a part to control a DSP effect parameter.

This is another item for the Genos development team.

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 12:12:09 AM »
Just noticed another issue with the UNI COMP compressor as implemented on Genos.

The Montage/MODX Universal Down Compressor -- AKA "UNI COMP" on Genos -- has 17 parameters. Genos and the rest of the PSRs are limited to 16 parameters max.

The 17th parameter is the side chain input level -- kinda vital for making a side-chain effect.

This limitation pops up elsewhere. The Genos ROTARY SPEAKER 2 effect is missing two parameters which are supported on Montage/MODX: Slow-Fast Time of Rotor and Fast-Slow Time of Rotor.

Yamaha's DSP engineers are making effects which need more than 16 parameters. Yamaha developers???

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:13:18 AM by pjd »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 12:52:02 AM »
I think there would have to be a side chain (controller) arp (like on synths) which is created by CC11 Expression, and maybe sometimes combined with Filter.  Using CC11  is how it's done for the style Parts.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html