Author Topic: Finger snap effect.  (Read 1796 times)

Offline RobertM

Finger snap effect.
« on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:10 AM »
Hello everyone,
I see that "finger snap" is listed in the drum/sfx/standard kit1 on the G0 key, but playing that key sounds quite different, maybe a snare drum.
Like to make a pad loop for "Fever" and "Moondance".
I've tried a lot of other kits including those in Legacy and all 61 notes without success.
Can't find a suitable style which includes the effect either.
Any thoughts? Thanks,
Robert.

Offline EileenL

Re: Finger snap effect.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
Multi pad Snare Play 2 Has finger snaps on pad3.

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
... I see that "finger snap" is listed in the drum/sfx/standard kit1 on the G0 key, but playing that key sounds quite different, maybe a snare drum.
Like to make a pad loop for "Fever" and "Moondance".
I've tried a lot of other kits including those in Legacy and all 61 notes without success....

Hi Robert,

The lowest C on a 61 note Yamaha keyboard is called "C1".

To play lower notes, e.g. "G0" use the "Upper Octave -" button to transpose the keyboard one or two octaves down. (Press both "Upper Octave" buttons at the same time to quickly switch back to the normal octave setting.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:18:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Many thanks again, your knowledge is so valuable to the forum.
Hi Chris,
That answer didn't even occur to me having never played an 88. ☺. Thank you too.
Best wishes,
Robert.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 08:37:36 PM »
Hi Robert,

Here are some additions:

The MIDI note range comprises 128 notes (note # 0 - 127). However, with the previous Yamaha keyboards (e.g. PSR-S/SX, Tyros models, Genos) the drum kits use a maximum of MIDI notes # 13 - 91.

There is also a difference in the octave designation between "MIDI note" and "Keyboard note", as you can see from the "Drum/SFX Kit List" in your keyboard's Data list. But if you transpose the keyboard two octaves down (or up), you will definitely reach all available drum instruments, e.g. when creating Multi Pads or your own Styles.

By the way: If you cannot reach the desired octave with the "Upper Octave" buttons, the octave for the keyboard part you are using is probably not set to zero. Call up the display "Menu > Voice Part Setup" to check (or set) the octave position of the individual keyboard parts. (See also the attached pictures.)

P.S.
The new PSR-A5000 is currently the only model that can use all 128 MIDI note numbers in drum kits.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:06:30 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 02:59:30 AM »
Hi Chris,
Always enjoy reading your additional notes, gives an understanding rather than just a solution. Always add them to my own PSR FAQ file too.

I use voice edit quite a bit, the last was to create a set of tibia clausa voices, 16,8,4,&2 from a single 8 foot voice by octave shift and rename.
Have a feeling it might be a bit crude as I've no doubt a sample for each pipe would be more accurate, but seems to work quite well in combination.

Thanks and best wishes,
Robert.