Author Topic: Changing a preset style in the sequencer step record to a user style???  (Read 2168 times)

Offline ugawoga

Hi
I have managed to make a style chord track with all the fills and main changes  and sounds great but in the step record section it will not allow me to change the preset to a user style which has me stumped.
I expanded the file and put in Cubase and all i got was one System exclusive track.
Cul de sac's everywhere it seems.
I was going to change my bass guitar to open pick bass if i could not use a user style and do volume changes to match the user style.
So i have got my chord track finished but cannot put my user style. It is frustrating :P

Any experts out there ??? appreciated :) :) :)

All the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Changing a preset style in the sequencer step record to a user style???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 10:23:20 PM »
Copy the style first. Then work on the user style.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 11:16:04 PM »
Hi Fred

I copied the style and in that changed the bass to my liking on a intro lead in for two bars in main C  .
I open up the sequencer and go to step edit and all you are allowed is preset styles .
I tried copying my new style but it would not accept it, only presets.
If  you do a quick recording and go to step edit, it always shows Sky Pop in step edit, so use wheel  to get to presets , but try getting a user style . Not on. Even tried sticking in the favourites to no avail.
Cul-de -sac again.
So now i have a whole track with style recorded , but cannot have my re- engineered style. Gives me the grumps!! :) :-X
It looks like it has to be the one take method now.
All i am trying to do is get the drum track and fills , breaks etc recorded and i do the rest. It would save me multiple efforts on the buttons and pedals

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:03:24 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »
Have you tried using Chord looped to play your chords. You can record in small sections which makes it easier if you make a mistake. You only have to re-record that section. When finishes you can select your style to play it back and record it just adding fills where you need them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
Hi Eileen
I will have a look at that.
Today busy making some pads and Padmaker is very good. You have more choices to sounds because again you are limited once again on the Genos.
Thinking Of Wim from the Netherlands his post was in 2017 and  i believe the same problem of not being able to user user styles in step mode goes back a way.
I would of thought Yamaha would of sorted that out. It would of been better than chord looper.
If you can just get a drum track down with all the fills etc that would be great, then you can just concentrate on playing instead of being a contortionist..
I have got through a lot of songs in one take  and experimented just using the drum track in the sequencer muting everything else and playing through registrations changes  and it works great and more relaxing on those twitching fingers ready to pounce on a fill or break or ending or a left foot missing the pedal!!! ;D.ouch!! >:(

All the Best
John :)

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 11:36:42 PM »
Hi John

Watch this video, I create chords in it with ChordLooper and then I use it to record SONG. USER rhythms can also be used.
https://youtu.be/-BljSgJEB6w

But I have an even better idea of what you need. Recording Step REC but with USER rhythm. I am making a new video in which I will show the procedure.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:11:31 AM »
CKobu

I will have a watch and look forward to your new video.
i have found that keep going for buttons all the time is annoying.
As i said previously,  just having a drum track with all the fills etc takes a load off the actual playing and i can concentrate on the feeling of the song more.
Midi can be funny sometimes especially if you change  something like  a piano to a Brass instrument and all you hear is a refferee's whistle and some latin bongo's going at 100mph!! ::) ;D ;D. Yes the fun of the early days!! :( ::) It was bad enough trying to get a tune out of the ZX Spectrum, beep' beep'

All the Best
John :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I open up the sequencer and go to step edit and all you are allowed is preset styles .

Hi John --

Yes, this is still a regression from earlier arranger keyboards which did allow a user style in chord step edit. Several users (myself included) have complained about this limitation and yet, no action by Yamaha.

For nerds: I think the sequencer is such old code that Yamaha treats it like a black box and is afraid open it. There are probably other instances of Pandora's box in their legacy software.

Still waiting -- pj