Author Topic: Favorite speakers for performing  (Read 6762 times)

Offline guitpic1

Favorite speakers for performing
« on: October 11, 2021, 08:08:49 AM »
For those of you that play out in public with your Genos…

What is your favorite/best sounding PA system for playing in public?
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline ckobu

Re: Favorite speakers for performing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »
It depends on how many people you need the sound system for. My performances are usually for 100 guests and I am very satisfied with the LD MAUI28 G2. Best value for money.
https://youtu.be/BnKySDROL0Q

If you play for more people, you can always add components. Here, along with MAUI, a couple of subwoofers are playing. Outdoor gig and about 300-400 people were present.
I made a comparison of the same song with a different sound system, the speaker characteristics are written on the video.
https://youtu.be/74NjQHLcU8M
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, MadrasGiaguari

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:51:54 AM »
I have the Bose L1 compact. Very satisfied with it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »
Dear Casper,

very interesting.

I know that column PA systems usually deliver better sound than traditional PA system. But my question refers to the absence (in 1 column setup) of stereo pan. How do consider this factor? Are you anyhow happy with it, as I assume?  Any detailed comment would be very welcome!

Thank you,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »
Hi Angelo
I rarely use just one column but I’ve tried that too. The sound is good and there is no lack of stereo. Of course, you need to properly connect the box with the two cables. Some musicians turn on the STEREO (00:38 video) switch when playing with only one column. That is completely wrong. This is one video in which I showed the difference in such a setting.

https://youtu.be/0Ph-tcxSoJU

I only use one column when there is no room for another, and that is very rare. MAUI is easily transmitted, set up quickly, and the sound that comes out of it is always of the same quality. When playing quieter, the room is full of sound, when the MAUI is amplified to the maximum, there is still no distortion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:47:29 AM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 01:29:19 PM »
Thank you Casper for your clear and complete explanation.

I'm doing a search for a good single column PA system, and your post fully answered to my questions. As a matter of facts I was oriented to get an LD Maui, because of the quality/price ratio and of the many positive reviews. But your few words say more and better than the reviews I have seen!!!

It is very impressive the difference of sound quality when setting mono/stereo as you show in the video. Does LD show that in the user manual?

Have you also tested smaller LD? No good enough?

Ciao,

Angelo
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
I use two Bose L1 Compact speakers. They only go down to 65 Hz, but for most of my venues, that's fine. When I need extended bass, I use a 15 inch subwoofer of my own design.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
guitpic1

I don't play out but I have 2 Bose L1 compacts. The sound is amazing and nearly blows the roof off the house if I turn them up. You do need a fairly good sized room to get the most out of them. I understand that they are good for crowds of 150 people.
People do use just one gigging, and the only time you really need two is for playing the piano, which is stereo. Most instruments are not stereo.
I bought one at first and was a little disappointed with the piano sound not being stereo, and my wife was nice enough to buy me a second one for my birthday.
You will have to listen to them yourself to make sure, because all Bose speakers have great highs and lows, but the midrange to me is a little weak, which is easily fixed in the EQ.

Rick D.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Thx for the replies. 

I’m looking at one of these right now:

https://youtu.be/LbKCm5NLNvg

I’m not really performing regularly anymore, so my thoughts are for a home speaker but something I could use when I do perform.

Thx all

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:54:56 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 06:00:32 PM »
Rick,

I did have a pair of Bose compacts back when I had a psr 970…sold them but wish I hadn’t.

Though the new L1’s have Bluetooth and I think a bit better sound.
guitpic1

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
Playing with one column and stereo images with MAUI is not a problem. All MAUI systems have two inputs on the mixer and connect L and R from the keyboard. One columne reproduces the stereo signal. The sound impression is not exactly the same as when played on two column, but at least the stereo signal is not lost.
The BOSE systems mentioned in the topic have only one input and we can only connect a MONO signal from the keyboard (MAIN L + L / R) to it. The RCF EVOX J8 / Jmix8 or Yamaha STAGEPAS 1K models have the same "problem".
When only an acoustic guitar or piano is played, this may not be a problem. But if we play on an arranger like the PSR SX, then we should know that the MONO signal can never sound as good as STEREO because we have panoramas on the accompaniment channels, panoramas on the DRUM elements and finally, there are stereo effects on the keyboard that are useless in the MONO.

It is very impressive the difference of sound quality when setting mono/stereo as you show in the video. Does LD show that in the user manual?

Have you also tested smaller LD? No good enough?

Ciao,

Angelo

The user manual describes how to properly connect a STEREO signal to only one column. The problem is that people don’t read the instructions so they misunderstand the MONO and STEREO status I showed in the video.

I also tested a smaller version, MAUI 11 G2 and the sound quality is quite similar to version 28. The only important difference is the power so I could recommend it for all those who play up to a maximum of 100 people. Given the price, it is better to buy two MAUI 11s than one MAUI 28.

I would like to give advice to all those who are in a dilemma. The only real test of what is best can only make your ear and your impression. Let them combine two different brands at the same time in the store. Listen for the difference in sound and amplify a little above what is pleasing to your ear. Then you can better hear which product is of better quality.
And don’t get confused because sometimes a twice as cheap product can sound better than one that is more expensive.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:06:16 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »

It depends on how many people you need the sound system for. My performances are usually for 100 guests and I am very satisfied with the LD MAUI28 G2. Best value for money.

https://youtu.be/BnKySDROL0Q

CKobu

Great setup . . . . . it looks neat and very professional.    what is the model for your keyboard stand ? i like it a lot . . . . also, the mic extension to the stand . . . . and i see you can also attach an iPad to the stand . . . can it support a 12.9 inch iPad in both portrait and landscape mode ? also, with that stand, can you play both standing up and seating down ?

thanks a lot in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
Thanks for the nice comment. The keyboard stand is Spider Pro
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/column-stands/18860-keyboard-stand-spider-pro-anodized-aluminum

An optional microphone stand or iPad stand is available. I made this holder for my Tablet alone because I wanted it to stand a little to the side.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »
Dear Casper,

The BOSE systems mentioned in the topic have only one input and we can only connect a MONO signal from the keyboard (MAIN L + L / R) to it. The RCF EVOX J8 / Jmix8 or Yamaha STAGEPAS 1K models have the same "problem".

Just to make sure I understand your advise, Yamaha Stagepas 1K (see user manual on Yamaha web site) has also a stereo input (channel "ST", with 2 jack inputs, with a mono/stereo mode switch in the mixer panel): you think that it does not work fine as the LD?

I'm posing the question because the Yamaha 1k looks quite interesting for quality/power/price....

Thank you for your patience,

Angelo

Angelo

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
guitpic1,

I just checked out the new Compact L1 Pro 8. I can see where if you were playing out, it would be nice to have the Bluetooth capabilities to be able to adjust the levels from anywhere in the room you are performing in. The Pro 16  looks awesome too, but a little pricey for home use, not to mention overkill  power wise! I have always been a big fan of Bose since I bought my first Pro 4 AA headphones back in the 70's. I like the highs and the bass on all Bose products. I have had several Bose products over the years, but the new Bose 700 headphones have blown it out of the water. They are amazing.

Hope you end up liking what you decide on.

Rick D.

Offline michael

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
HALLO we use 2 Bose F1 and 2 sub it´s sounds amazing we uppgrade from 2 Bose L1  and it´s giving us a little more power and little more traditional settings with the speaker in front
 of us  and then we have two bose s1 for hearing
Michael
Genos Bose F1   Band   No Name

Offline ckobu

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 01:07:34 PM »
Dear Casper,

Just to make sure I understand your advise, Yamaha Stagepas 1K (see user manual on Yamaha web site) has also a stereo input (channel "ST", with 2 jack inputs, with a mono/stereo mode switch in the mixer panel): you think that it does not work fine as the LD?

I'm posing the question because the Yamaha 1k looks quite interesting for quality/power/price....

Thank you for your patience,

Angelo

Angelo

You have well noticed that there is a stereo input on the StagePass K1. However, when the switch is set to the STERO position, the L channal will be played on that unit, and the R channel will be forwarded via the LINK connector to the other unit. You must have a second column for STEREO.

I am glad that you ask such questions because you are the only one on this topic who thinks correctly about playing STEREO or MONO. I studied all the systems well before buying. I tried most of the companies mentioned here and after three years of using the MAUI system, I did not regret the choice.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Thank you Casper, now I know I got the stereo switch matter.

Your posts (and your videos...) are always VERY useful!

How would you rate the Yamaha Stagepas 1k, compared with your LD (price is quite different....)?

Ciao

Angelo

Offline ckobu

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »
Angelo, the Stagepass K1 should be compared to the MAUI 11 G2. I listened to K1 in the store and was not satisfied. But I will repeat, it is best to make a comparison of the two systems under the same conditions. This is the best way to estimate what is best.

Watch my video channel

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »
I live just east of Toronto. According to the MAUI website, there are no dealers within 200 km of me. Any Canadians here using MAUI speakers? Where did you buy them? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
LD is a factory in Germany, and all production is in Germany. Probably because of this it is not well presented in the US market.
https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/

This is their top model produced a couple of years ago.
LD MAUI P900
https://youtu.be/lp00VMi2_B0

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »
That explains it. It's amazing how Canada and the U.S. are economic giants and yet there are so many good products we just can't get. I waited for my Genos an extra 5 months after they first arrived in the U.S. I live 50 kms from U.S. soil!! Canada is always the toilet of the world when it comes to getting new products.

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 03:47:18 PM »
Hi,
I use my Tyros 4 through a BOSE L1s system with a B1 bass woofer, It sounds awesome!
It's lightweight and easy to set up. I also have the Yamaha stagepass 400BT system(My back up) which is also very good but not as the depth of the Bose.
Hope this helps
John.

Offline fine

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 04:26:14 PM »
Hello ckobu

Everything you mention around the stereo image is correct, however we can have the same result if we connect ONLY the L-MONO of the instrument in the speaker with one cable.

What you say is true, but only to equipment that don't have L/MONO as an option, for instance, CD-players - PHONO - DJ's e.t.c

I own 2 Stagepas 1k and the switch MONO-STEREO does whatever it does to the MAUI.

In addition, if I was to buy a PA now, I'd buy the MAUI.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »
Hi fine

I agree with you. Ultimately, devices that have only stereo outputs can be connected to one column if we use a cable that combines two channels into one mono.
Listening to and playing a stereo instrument in the mono variant is always a bad approach.

But if we are talking about proper playing a keyboard arranger that has a lot of stereo instruments, two column should always be used. It is better to have two weaker / cheaper column than one strong one.
Watch my video channel

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the nice comment. The keyboard stand is Spider Pro
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/column-stands/18860-keyboard-stand-spider-pro-anodized-aluminum

An optional microphone stand or iPad stand is available. I made this holder for my Tablet alone because I wanted it to stand a little to the side.

Ckobu
Thanks a lot for the info on the keyboard stand . . . . looking into this . . ..

The holder you created for the tablet looks very smart . . .  it looks like you installed a hinge so that it can move to the side(s) .. . . . very clever . . . . .

Not sure that i would be able to produce the holder . . .. do you happen to know if the spider pro stand has attachments for the mic and also for the ipad holder that can both be used at same time ?

Thanks and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ckobu

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 07:43:00 PM »
Al Ram,

The Spider has an original tablet and microphone holder. You can take a look at the manufacturer’s page I posted in a previous post.

My stand is made of metal and in the pictures you can see the dimensions and pictures showing how I used it while playing Tyros4.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »
Ckobu

thanks for the info on the spider.  I can see they sell separate attachments for the mic and for the iPad.

However, the iPad or computer is right on the center . . . . not too good for me.

Your idea is superior because you can move the ipad to the side which would be my preference.   The iPad attachment you made looks very strong and professional . . . .  what type of skills are needed to do that . . . ?  very well thought out and you even got the black knob thing to tighten or loosen up . . .. great job.  Congrats. . . . .

Thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ckobu

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 09:42:25 PM »
Al Ram
It’s not complicated, but you have to know how to do locksmith work. It is best to take it to a master and show my draft. It would not be complicated for him. I know how to weld so I made this myself. I used a screw from some old stand from before.
The stand is made of iron and is quite sturdy but it looks elegant and easy to mount on the Spider. Only the side metal bar is removed before transport.

But let’s not go too far from the main topic, here’s a price comparison for column in the same range. The last one on the list, HK Polar 10, is very interesting. I haven't tried it, but judging by the older Elements series, it could be an interesting option. I will emphasize again, the only measure of quality is what your ear hears.

Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Al Ram

iainmcguire

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »
I have used two bose L1 compacts but I found them underpowered and you can easily hit the limit when playing keyboard .I now have two Bose pro 8's which have the power and quality .
I run this with a QSC touchmix to get  stereo and good effects with two mics keyboard and guitar I tried plugging them into the pro 8's and found this a pain to use the app for volume and with one reverb sounded a bit thin on vocals The pro 16 is a step up but with 16 speakers its top heavy and has a issue with bad contacts and stability.

Mike2

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2021, 08:52:47 PM »
I guess I have been a big critic of other peoples choice for speakers.  I understand that sound is very subjective. Even myself, I have had with my Genos, the Lucas Nano, the Bose L1, and the Bose S1 and a few more. With all this being said, I have settle for the Yamaha GNS-MS01 Speaker System. At first it was always about pleasing my audience. Playing in rather small venues of 500 to 800 max, I am am pleased to say, that with the GNS-MS01 speakers, my audiences cannot believe the sound. I play mostly liturgical music, in a church during the celebration of the Mass. Yes I'm a proud Catholic. The other thing is that, the GNS-MS01 on my Genos, tilted towards the middle on the keyboard is the best monitor for myself that i could ask for.  Believe me I know the difference between doing gigs, and needing Pa coverage. Enjoy this Keyboard, There is so much more to learn, and discover each and every day. No need looking forward to another keyboard. This one is awesome.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
Thanks to all of you for replying.

Here are the systems that I have used in recent years.

Bose L1 compacts-two-sold

Maui nanos-two-sold

JBL Eon One- single speaker…multiple inputs-donated to my church

Bose S1 compacts-two - I still have these

Yamaha DXR(original 10 in) - still have this one

JBL Eon One Compact - still have this.

All produced a fairly good sound with my Genos.

As a side note:

The best piano sound I have heard yet is from my DGX 670…6 watt speakers - $800 keyboard

The next best piano sound I have gotten is Genos + Bose - $6,000 😊

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:32:15 PM by guitpic1 »
guitpic1

Offline Dnj

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 07:05:59 PM »
I love my EV Evolve 50 speakers great sound and projection for LIVE performances.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:47:39 PM by Dnj »

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »
As many have read from my posts, I purchased an L1 Pro 8 for my Genos.

I have been surprised as to how well this unit works as a home PA.  It’s very full sounding even at play-at-home levels.  Best sound I have ever heard from my Genos.

In the next few weeks I hope to be trying the Pro 8 out in different situations.

Gotta say, I am VERY impressed with the Pro 8.

😊

guitpic1

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
As many have read from my posts, I purchased an L1 Pro 8 for my Genos.

I have been surprised as to how well this unit works as a home PA.  It’s very full sounding even at play-at-home levels.  Best sound I have ever heard from my Genos.

In the next few weeks I hope to be trying the Pro 8 out in different situations.

Gotta say, I am VERY impressed with the Pro 8.

😊
Same here, Guitpic. I own two but had to wait one week for the second one to arrive.

While having just the one, I patched the two Main outs of the Genos to the first and second mixer channels on the Pro 8. It sounded excellent, but when you add the second Pro 8, the sound is amazing! I've only performed one show with them and the setup wasn't ideal. My music partner and I played in a seniors' home. The room was 25 feet by about 45 feet. We were in the middle of the length side, shooting across the 25 foot span. Fortunately, the Pro 8s cover 180 degrees. I don't think horn speakers would have been suitable at only 120 degrees of coverage. The Maui specs that ckobu posted don't specify the coverage. If the tweeters are inline, they may also only cover 120 degrees max.

Ckobu is absolutely right when he says the final measurement lies in the human ear. If you like the sound and your audience enjoys your show, you've got the right gear!

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 01:59:45 AM »
My 2 cents worth . Based on the recommendation of guitpic and Lee  I just upgraded to the Bose L1 Pro from the Bose Compact that gave me quite a few years of service. Like Guitpic I'm not gigging as much as I would like to.    I'll probably be using the L 1 Pro 8 more at home studio at least for the immediate future.  I like the bluetooth feature to be able to make adjustments remotely.  I too agree with Ckobu the final measurement is your own ears.

Ckobu nice looking set up you have!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks