Author Topic: Eq-Gold settings,  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Colin D

Eq-Gold settings,
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »
Hi Folks,

Can someone share a copy of the EQ Gold settings for the Genos please, and any other usefull Eq please,

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Tony09

Re: Eq-Gold settings,
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »
I tried these and they were awful. Gone back to the on board ones.

Offline Dalo1970

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:31:54 PM »
Hi.
I want to ask ....
Can't set the equalizer when playing mp3?
Well thank you.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:37:06 PM by Dalo1970 »
Genos 1
Previously owned: PSR-S970, Tyros 4, Tyros 5-76, SX700

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:55 AM »
Hi.
I want to ask ....
Can't set the equalizer when playing mp3?
Well thank you.

No, the master section (EQ and Compressor) has no influence to audiofiles.
Cheers, Joe

Genos | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Korg PA4X | Mainstage

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
Colin,

EQ settings are just a starting point, everyone's tastes are different as well as the room, the room size and the speakers you use. Just experiment with some of the onboard settings and tweak them to your preference. Don't be afraid, you won't change any factory settings, they are saved as USER settings. Have fun experimenting!

Rick D.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
A major factor is also the quality of the listener's hearing and if the listener is in the habit of playing with hearing aids in or not. The large amplification given to the latter usually to improve detection of speech can have a huge effect on how sound is perceived. In my case earlier this year (normally using  a basically Flat EQ) I needed to reduce the db somewhat on the 1.8,3.6,5.6 Hz ranges to avoid hearing excessive treble and associated reverb while wearing hearing aids, which I want to do since they do enable me to appreciate the higher frequencies (much muted to me when the aids are removed) when the EQ is properly matched.

John

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
jwyvern,

The Genos sounds so dead on flat EQ, have you tried other built in settings? I think you will be amazed at the difference.

Sorry to hear about your hearing problems.

Stinks to get old!

Rick D.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 07:24:53 PM »
Hi Rick,
Thank you for your condolences ;)
But I wasn't looking for sympathy for a problem special to me. I believe the majority of keyboard owners are of an age that will be affected by hearing loss to varying degrees which has to be added in to those factors that affect the perception of sound.
Over the years I have tried the various "popular" and designer types of EQ setups including the Gold but the latter gave a far too aggressive result for my setup. Not surprising looking at the settings.
I use Yamaha HS8 speakers which in themselves produce a fairly flat response,  (unlike my ears! ) , and have found a flat master EQ sets the scene for the overall quality I am after for live playing for my own enjoyment of  large bands or orchestras. Blending many voices together to get just the right effect often requires more adjustment than just relying on Master settings and this is done where necessary by adjusting part EQ, DSP, and other individual voice parameters as well as playing technique of course.
I have often wondered how other keyboardists beyond a certain age play or listen ie. with or without hearing aids in place. We can adjust settings so we hear what might sound perfect at home but if we then record and post the "perfection" for others to listen to we have little control over the quality they will actually hear...............

John
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:27:19 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:56:30 PM »
John,

No hearing aids for me, I am only 66. I was around loud construction equipment my whole life but took the necessary precautions from an early age. I do tend to listen to music on the loud side and with all the concerts I’ve been too, I’m surprised my hearing is still good. If I am in a crowd, then it is difficult for me to hear people talking. And of course there is always the selective spouse hearing loss, LOL.
Like I mentioned in my previous post EQ settings are a personal choice.

I think if we live long enough we will all need some help to hear. My friend just got some new hearing aids controlled by his iPhone and he is happy with them, compared to his older pair. I heard Bose just came out with some hearing aids, and people,are raving s out them.

Rick D.

Offline Dalo1970

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
On the SX700,900, the EQ can be changed when playing mp3. Genos can't do it. I'm sad about that  :'(
Genos 1
Previously owned: PSR-S970, Tyros 4, Tyros 5-76, SX700

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »
On Genos you can record (while you are playing directly or if you are playing a midi to convert it to audio) with whatever master EQ settings you want. So EQ "corrections" can be reflected in the audio itself (rather than make adjustments on playback).
John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:02:14 PM by jwyvern »

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »
On the SX700,900, the EQ can be changed when playing mp3. Genos can't do it. I'm sad about that  :'(

Hi Dalo1970,

Where did you get that information? According to the SX900/700 Reference Manual, these models behave exactly like the Genos:

- Audio Link Multi Pads (.wav) are affected by Master Compressor and Master EQ.

- Audio Songs (.wav, .mp3) are NOT affected by Master Compressor and Master EQ.

SX900/700 Reference Manual, page 103:
"Master EQ cannot be applied to an Audio Song, the audio input via the AUX IN jack, or the metronome sound."

SX900/700 Reference Manual, page 108:
"Master Compressor cannot be applied to an Audio Song, the audio input via the AUX IN jack, or the metronome sound."

Please also note the attached picture (SX900 Block Diagram).

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:13:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dalo1970