Author Topic: Saving & retrieving adjusted voices  (Read 2900 times)

Offline JanCK

Saving & retrieving adjusted voices
« on: October 09, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »
After I adjust the sound of my CFX Piano voice to my liking in “voice edit”, I save it in the voice User file/folder (whichever it’s called).  Then I use it in many songs, and all is well.  But then later, I discover an improvement to that original adjustment and I save it to that same User voice, keeping the same name, thinking that it will then be the updated voice to all songs that use that name.  The new change works great when I add it to a new song.  But why does it not change it to the newly adjusted voice in the older songs?  If I want the new version of the voice to play in older songs, I have to go back and change it in the registrations.

Clearly I don’t understand the big picture of how saving voices works, so I welcome your input.  It seems I’m on a never-ending journey of finding the specific piano sound I’m looking for  The good news is that it’s getting closer, but it would be great if I knew how to make the change easier in the older songs.  I have a Mac so I can’t use the Murray’s Best program to make the change easily, even if it did switch to the new version in old songs.

Thanks!

Offline overover

Re: Saving & retrieving adjusted voices
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 03:36:14 PM »
Hi Jan,

you are obviously talking about Registrations. And here the behavior you described is normal:

When you call up a previously saved User Voice, then these Voice settings are loaded for the selected Part (e.g. Right 1).

When you then memorize the current Panel settings to a Registration button, all current Voice settings are directly written into the Registration. The Registration also remembers the name of the (Preset or User) Voices used in the Keyboard Parts, but it is not possible to change the Voice settings of Registrations by editing the originally used User Voices afterwards.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline JanCK

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Thanks, Chris.  Sorry for being thick on this, but I’m still not understanding.  I thought that only the pathway to the voice is what is stored into the registrations.  So I deduced that the registration would follow the pathway to that newly adjusted voice, since the adjustment is stored in the same place as the old settings. 

You wrote:  “When you then memorize the current Panel settings to a Registration button, all current Voice settings are directly written into the Registration.”  I’m not sure exactly what that means.  To me that sounds like the voice settings are saved within the button, and not as a pathway to the settings.

So, okay, I’m mistaken and have to manually change my registrations every single place that I want the new piano sound…what a bummer.  But would you mind trying to give me more clarity to that quoted sentence?  Maybe there isn’t any other clearer way of saying it, I’m just not grokking it yet.  Or maybe I’m just struggling to accept that I have to manually change so many registrations! 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 04:59:57 PM »
Chris said it well. I will try to further clarify what is happening and how the problem can be solved.
Registration does not memorizes your modified CFX Piano saved as USER Voice (CFX Piano01). The registration memorizes its original sound (CFX Piano) and all the parameters you changed. You can check this as follows. Delete your USER Voice (CFXF Piano01) and activate Registration. You will see that the same characteristics will appear with the deleted CFX Piano01.
Such is the principle with other things you store in USER (VH2, EFFECT ...).
The solution is to make a new CXF Piano02 and add it to "old" registrations. I agree, it’s a little complicated but it’s a Yamaha.
I hope this helps.
Watch my video channel

Offline JanCK

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
Thank you to overover and ckobu.    Guess I have a lot of registration buttons to manually re-set.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
Thank you to overover and ckobu.    Guess I have a lot of registration buttons to manually re-set.

You should check out Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager. It can make changes to a batch of registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline JanCK

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »
I have a Mac.  My understanding is that Murray’s Best is just for PC’s.  Would be great if I’m wrong or if there was something like it for Mac.  I’m not finding Genos to be that compatible with Macs, but that could easily be because of my technology skill level, though.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
Hello,

You are correct in saying Murray Best's registration program will not work on a Mac.

In fact, most if not all the fine utility programs available will only work on PC's.

That's the way it is.

I keep an old laptop equipped with a windows OS to be able to use them.

I love my Mac so I use it most of the time for other things that are offered on this fine forum.

You could consider buying a windows program and installing it on your Mac hard drive to perhaps enjoy the best of both worlds on your Mac computer

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos