Author Topic: Importing registrations to SX900 from S950  (Read 2531 times)

kevinmc

Importing registrations to SX900 from S950
« on: October 06, 2021, 10:20:40 AM »
After several months on backorder, I finally received my new SX900 yesterday!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out, I have lots of registrations saved on my PSR-S950 that I would like to transfer to the SX900, how do I go about this?  I can't find anything in the manuals.  I know that I may need to go in and tweak some of the registrations, but I have about 400 registrations saved and would like to avoid having to start over from scratch to create registrations for all of my songs.

I appreciate your assistance!

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline johan

Re: Importing registrations to SX900 from S950
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:17:57 AM »
You can normally just use your registrations directly on the SX900. You can then finetune them to make use of the extra features of the SX such as new styles and voices. If you want to make modifications in batch, I strongly recommend the yamaha registration manager program of Murray Best.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

matrix1999

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
Can you use a USB Flash drive to transfer the registrations over to the SX900?

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 05:40:03 PM »
Indeed you can do the transfer via usb stick.
SX700 and S670

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:50:38 PM »
Can you use a USB Flash drive to transfer the registrations over to the SX900?

Hi matrix1999,

you can use Registrations directly from the USB stick. Alternatively you can copy the Registration Bank files (.rgt) from the USB stick into the internal User drive of the keyboard.

But, as I said, the latter is not absolutely necessary. You can have all your files on the USB stick. (Please do not forget to make regular backups on your computer and / or other USB sticks!)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

kevinmc

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, I'm glad to hear that it is possible to transfer registrations from the S950 to the SX900. 

I have been trying to figure out how to do this, with no success.  I did a regular backup to my S950, and saved it to a flash drive (a .bup file), hoping that I could somehow extract registrations from the flash drive into the SX900.  It doesn't look like this method will work, unless I'm missing something. 

So my remaining questions are of two parts:

1) how do I save registrations from a S950 to a flash drive?

and

2) how do I access those and transfer into the SX900?

Once again thanks for your assistance, this process is new to me!

Kevin

Offline johan

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 10:39:55 PM »
You can save them on tje 950 as you normally do but you just use the tab button first to save on usb. Recalling in the sx900 is by selecting "registrations" on the top of the menu screen and then selecting usb.
SX700 and S670

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 10:41:33 PM »
I had the same problem transferring Tyros 4 registrations to the SX900.   Most of my styles are not Yamaha factory styles.
 When I Used the USB method described earlier in this thread I lost the link to the style.  I'm sure there's a better way but I finished up copying the style to the SX and then rebuilding the registrations.  It's a long winded fix though.

Vic

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
Hi Kevin,

please first read the chapter "File Management" in both S950 and SX900 Owner"s Manuals.

Copying Registration Bank files from the S950 to a USB stick:

- Make sure you are in the Regist Bank File Selection display (press Regist Bank + and - buttons at the same time).

- Navigate to the desired drive (e.g. User), and if needed go into the desired folder.

- Press Copy, then select one or more files or folders and press Ok. You can also press "Copy > All > Ok" to copy all Registration files and all subfolders containing Registration files (starting from the current location).

- Navigate to the USB tab.

- If desired create a new folder on the USB stick now and select this folder to open it.

- Press Paste to complete the copying process, i.e. paste the previously copied files and folders at the current position on the USB stick.

By the way, copying Style, User Voice, Multi Pad or MIDI files (or entire folders containing the relevant file type) works in the same way. You just have to be in the respective File Selection display (in the case of Styles, for example, in the Style Selection display).

- Connect the USB stick to the SX900 now.

- Open the Regist Bank File Selection display (same as described for the S950).

- Press User > USB

- If needed navigate into the desired folder and select one of the Registration Bank files to load it.

- Press one of the data-filled (illuminated) Registration buttons to load the relevant Registration.

- Play as usual. :)

P.S.
If external files (e.g. User Styles, Multi Pads, MIDI files) are used (linked) in your S950 Registrations, these files must be present at the same drive/folder on the SX900. Otherwise you have to re-link the correct files to the Registrations. Or you use the PC program "Yamaha Registration Manager" to edit the file paths in the Registrations. (If only Preset Styles/Multi Pads are used in your S950 Registrations, everything should work as described above.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 11:32:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

kevinmc

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »
Thanks Chris, it worked, your clear instructions were very helpful!

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 09:03:19 PM »
Thanks Chris, it worked, your clear instructions were very helpful!

Thank you for your kind feedback, Kevin!

I'm glad to could help you! :)

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
That's a thank you from me too Chris for providing a clear and concise set of instructions.

Appreciated.

Vic