Author Topic: Silent Bar At End Of MIDI Song?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Silent Bar At End Of MIDI Song?
« on: April 27, 2022, 06:51:36 AM »
I have a MIDI song loaded into my Genos. I have looping turned on for the song.

When I play the song, it plays though to the end. Then there’s one bar of silence before it starts playing from the beginning again.

How can I get rid of that one bar of silence and instead have it play off the end directly onto the beginning?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline AndyT

Re: Silent Bar At End Of MIDI Song?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 11:48:43 AM »
Hi,

You can probably do something on the Genos, but others would have to help as I don't have one.

There are no doubt several ways to do this, but I personally rely on MixMaster by Etienne
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,61876.msg474181.html#msg474181

In MixMaster, I drop the midi on the app then I use list view to see the notes and the durations. I suspect that you might have a very low (or 0) volume instrument that has a length greater than the end of the penultimate bar. This would cause another bar to be shown. Importantly this might not be in the penultimate bar, but it could be a few bars back with a huge note length. I have seen that a few times. It is very easy to change. Right click and then "Edit a Selected Event" from the context menu.

Alternatively you might just be able to delete the note, but check to see if there are any volume events that reduce over times as you will delete the whole thing.

I have also used notation composer, but found that can give several problems when you make a small change and resave. You can also probably use cakewalk or other utilities, but as I say, MixMaster is brilliant. It is a very powerful tool.

Hope this helps

- Andy

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
Andy makes sense.

I've created scores in Cubase where I had 25 tracks and the song would play one more bar, and yet I couldn't see any data on the screen. I found out there was a note in one of the tracks that extended past the last bar by a duration of only 1 cent. That's all it takes. I shortened that note so it fit into the previous bar and that settled it.

One way to fix it is to quantize the last bar to a sixteenth note (for example). That will pull the "hanging bit" back into the last bar where it belongs with the rest of the score.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:18:37 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:51:07 PM »
@Michael,

Andy and Lee already gave you a few solutions and remarks what could be the problem.
Perhaps it is best to make the midi file available (as attachment or via mail), so we can figure out what would be the best solution to solve the problem.
Without the midi file we can only guess.

My mail is visible beneath this topic.

Regards
Etienne

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:05:06 PM by vlbrgt »
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 04:10:00 AM »
Thanks, guys. That was the problem.

I just opened the MIDI file in Cubase, and it was pretty easy to see what was wrong and fix it.

I also discovered the marker feature described on page 93 of the Genos Reference Manual. Adding SPJ-01 and SPJ-02 markers allow me to have an intro, a repeating section, and an ending for my MIDI songs.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 02:18:04 PM »
Good to hear, Michael.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.