Using SX900 Registrations On Genos

Started by Leading Edge, January 29, 2022, 04:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Edge

I have an SX900 and would like to use a friends Genos to play some of my registrations using a USB stick.

I would be grateful for any advice as to how to do this.  I believe I cannot just copy the SX registrations to a USB stick and use them because the styles link will be missing.  Is that correct?  None of the registrations I plan to use make use of Yamaha factory styles that came with the SX900.  They are all imported 3rd party styles that are loaded on to my SX900 in a user style folder and linked to the appropriate registration.

Lastly, will my SX global settings, split point etc. interfere with my friends Genos settings after I have  finished using the Genos and removed my USB stick?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Vic

johan

The genos cannot read styles from sx700 and sx900. You would have to use Murray´s program to convert your registrations first but not sure if it is worth the effort.
SX900 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463, SX900

overover

Hi Vic,

To make SX900 registrations compatible with Genos, you  have to use the Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM) version 5.1.1 "Special". (You first have to install v5.1.1 and then follow the instructions to update to the "Special" version:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

By the way, Registrations can change hundreds of parameters of an instrument. Only parameters locked with the "Parameter Lock" function cannot be changed by Registrations.

Note that parameters changed by registrations are of course NOT reset to the original settings when the USB stick is removed! Before you load your registrations on your friend's Genos, you should make a system backup of the Genos, i.e. a .bup file on a USB stick. I also recommend backing up the "System" and "User Effect" setup files to the USB stick. This is because you don't know if your friend has created own Setup Registrations that will reset the Genos to the original status later.

I gather from your explanations that the styles used in your registrations are in the User drive of the SX900. In order for the registrations to work completely from the USB stick, it is NOT enough just to copy the styles to the stick, you either have to re-memorize each registration (with the style from the new storage location), or you adjust the file paths with the mentioned Registration Manager (YRM) in all registrations. (You can do this in Batch mode if desired.)

Best regards,
Chris
● Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that, and - just did it.
● Never put the Manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

murrayb

Vic

You will also  need  to  create  a folder  on your  USB with the name STYLES.  Copy all your  styles or style directories from the SX900 to this  folder.  If you  have  used folders for your  styles  on the SX900, the USB structure must be exactly the same for the  registration to find them.

In YRM you'll  need to change  the device  code in the registration banks from C: to I: assuming  there  will only  be one USB plugged  into  the  Genos, by using the Find/Replace function of the program.  This can be done in batch to all your registrations at once.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

overover

Quote from: murrayb on January 29, 2022, 09:48:12 AM
Vic

You will also  need  to  create  a folder  on your  USB with the name STYLES.  Copy all your  styles or style directories from the SX900 to this  folder.  If you  have  used folders for your  styles  on the SX900, the USB structure must be exactly the same for the  registration to find them.

In YRM you'll  need to change  the device  code in the registration banks from C: to I: assuming  there  will only  be one USB plugged  into  the  Genos, by using the Find/Replace function of the program.  This can be done in batch to all your registrations at once.

Murray

Thanks for the additional hints, Murray! I wanted to wait for an answer from Vic first before mentioning these details. ;)

By the way, I think the internal system folder for styles in the user drive is called "STYLE" (not "STYLES"). So a "STYLE" folder would have to be created in the root directory of the stick if you only want to change the drive letter in the Registration Banks (from C: to I:).

Best regards,
Chris
● Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that, and - just did it.
● Never put the Manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Leading Edge

Thank you Johan, Chris and Murray for your help with my query.  I really appreciate your detailed replies that have answered all my questions and enabled me to move forward with the idea.  There is certainly a wealth of knowledge on the forum when a member needs help and advice.  I appreciate your taking the time and trouble to write the helpful instructions for me.

Thank you

Vic