Author Topic: Organ sounds severe limitation  (Read 25300 times)

Online Amwilburn

Re: Organ sounds severe limitation
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2021, 12:07:22 AM »
I can't recall if this was mentioned before, and I am too lazy to read through the entire thread to find out, but this is an interesting writeup about this Yamaha Leslie emulation problem.  -> http://sandsoftwaresound.net/tag/yamaha-genos/

That's literally pjd's website, who's already replying as quickly as he can in thread  ;D
And yes, Paul *really* delves into the hardware, like no other!

Incidentally whey I purchased the Live Organ pack from Easy Sounds, they hadn't released the "Organ Sessions" version, hence why I only mentioned the Live Organ pack from them at the top of this thread. But yeah, even back then, what I heard from them was fairly impressive (although I'm absolutely blown away by the iPad B3 app Paul found from IK)

Mark

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2021, 01:55:30 AM »
I actually did go ahead and purchase a few packs from Easy Sounds since they had that sale in effect.  Haven't gotten around to trying them out yet, however.  One of them I purchased was the "KApro Legendary Tonewheel Organ" pack. Little on the pricey side but it has some pretty impressive demos for it. I really liked the Leslie transition effects provided. It comes with an install manual that I have been browsing through, when I came upon this little nugget:

4 Registration Banks, which were used for the recording of the four demo tracks,
  • "Gimme The Proof" with six (6) Registrations
[used for the Funk demo "Gimme The Proof"],
  • "Hush" with two (2) Registrations
[used for the Rock demo "Hush"; together with an external rotary effects unit],
  • "Nickel And A Nail" with six (6) Registrations
[used for the Blues demo "Nickel And A Nail"],
  • "With A Little Help From My Friends" with six (6) Registrations
[used for the Rock demo "With A Little Help From My Friends"; together with an external rotary effects unit]
[/list]

Emphasis added.

Well, WTH?  So two of the most impressive demos actually are using an external rotary effect unit????  Honestly I am not sure what to expect when I finally do install this pack.  Besides being relatively complicated to install, if that install guide is accurate, I believe it will use up something like 500 mb of limited expansion RAM. It would be worth it if what I can get from the pack is just like the demo tracks I listened to.  But if not...  I sure as heck do hope that those demos were not misleading and I got sucker punched.  I bought this package specifically because of what I heard in those demo tracks and the two in question were what really caught my ear with the Leslie tone cabinet effect ramping up and down in the transitions.  Ah well, we will see, I guess. Wish there was a way to actually listen to these packs without going through the process of installing them via YEM.  Or is there?
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline DerekA

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
Rich, sorry to sound pessiistic but - the only way you can get the leslie speed up / slow down effect is via a DSP or an external processor. Expansion packs never include updated DSP. So, the sound you're liking is either coming from an inbuilt Genos DSP or an external processor. It's not coming from a new sample.
Genos

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2021, 07:52:09 PM »
Once again, thanks to all who contributed to my post. There are two elements involved: the Genos organ samples and the DSP effects.
Here are my conclusions:
  • The Genos organ samples aren't bad but could be improved. They are usable in a band situation because there is so much more going with other sounds that it's hard to say, "The B3 sounds are terrible." They're okay and will get you by. The DPS Leslie emulator is also alright for common work.
    Price $0.00 You already own a Genos :).
  • The Genos organ samples are good enough but would be improved by using a dedicated external effects unit like the Neo Ventilator or Lester G.
    Price: $300 - $900 Ouch! Is it really worth it?
  • Buy a dedicated Hammond B3 keyboard like the Nord 5D
    Price: thousands.
I'm going to try working with the onboard sounds in the Genos and see if an external effects unit is any better. My local music store will let me buy one and trial it for 30 days - no conditions.

Further thoughts?

Edit
Our good friend, Soryt posted a comparison of the Genos organ sounds out of the box versus using the Lester K effects unit. I think the Lester K makes a big difference. I'm sure many of you have listened to his comparison. Thanks, Soryt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FHdjg5A7wE

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:11:46 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
Dear friends,

I inquired IK Multimedia Support team about Hammond B3X, and here is their answer:

"Hello ANGELO,
Thanks for your patience while we got back to you.

No, Hammond B3X is not available for Android.

The app can be controlled via the touch screen on the iPad; if you are asking regarding the desktop version you can control this via mouse or midi controller. "

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.