Author Topic: Any one who runs Cubase with The Genos  (Read 2289 times)

Offline ugawoga

Any one who runs Cubase with The Genos
« on: December 07, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »
Hi

Well , If you run Cubase with Genos have a look at the Sound theory  website as their EQ is going for a great price still.
Also look at the You Tube video's
https://www.soundtheory.com/home

This EQ is 100%  35% discount

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Re: Any one who runs Cubase with The Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 12:36:16 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, John.

I spent the winter of 2020 dodging Covid and learning how to marry the Genos to Cubase for recording. It was like teaching a pig to walk on stilts! Cubase is well suited for recording VST instruments but as for the Genos... ::). I still maintain that Yamaha needs to come up with some sort of way to record the Genos into any DAW seamlessly.

Having just joined an R&B band, I intend to spend this winter leveraging my Genos toward their needs. Perhaps when I get brave again, I'll do some more Cubase stuff.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 01:43:49 PM »
Hi Lee

To start with in Cubase after switching to your sound device eg Focursrite, get your ins and outs right . Can be tricky if you do not no what your devices does.
For Genos you do not need as you know a sound device, only a Yamaha midi driver

Once you want to work on a midi file from the Genos make sure yor inspector settings are---------

input routing          NOT CONNECTED
                                    output routing       YAMAHA GENOS WORKSTATION

This way gives you a more stable playing field to do edits with . Do not put ALL MIDI in the Input field.

All the best
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 02:55:17 PM »
Thanks, John.

I find that recording into Cubase can work when I use the settings you described. The only difference is, mine reads Digital Workstation 1, which is probably a difference in naming because I use the Steinberg UR-44 sound interface. I've always used the All MIDI naming for the Input and it's always worked. Go figure!

The problems start when I want to re-record parts of a track. I don't remember where because it's been a while since I recorded with the Genos but I remember having to go into the Voices on the Genos and toggle them from one voice to another to get the original voice back again. It's as though Cubase doesn't remember which instrument I was using and it needs to be reminded. Too complex and clunky - typical Yamaha software thinking. I wish they would smooth this out. The Genos is such a wonderful tool but interfacing with any DAW is like mixing oil and water. The only thing they have in common is they are both liquids.

Someone mentioned that Cubase is designed mainly for VST recording. I agree. The developers make it possible to record any arranger but they are just humoring us with their convoluted paths and absolutely no documentation from Yamaha or Steinberg. The Genos manuals provide diagrams and MIDI implementation charts but no instruction on how to route things into Cubase. They should provide simple instructions for this because they own Steinberg and it would help sales of Cubase. I honestly believe Yamaha is more interested in providing recording instructions for their synths and NOT the Genos. Why is beyond me. They all think we just sit at home and play the Genos for the fun of it. Some of us earn a partial living with it and recording could be a huge part of that.

Several on this site have said, "It's easy - just record the MIDI on the Genos and import it to Cubase and edit from there." No, it's NOT that easy! You must still set up things in Cubase so the Genos tracks play back correctly. Nope! Too many nonsense hoops to jump through  >:(!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »
@Lee, you are absolute right. @John, I have spent a lot of time to work with cubase and it is like learning  new complex software (like learnig Word or Excel at the beginning).  Cubasr is a dedicated piece of software, which I like and use as standalone soft music equipment. The combination with the Yamaha integration is still far and far away for common use. Allthought they are both Yamaha products, it seems that Yamaha,s policy is to seperate the use of both music devices, which has each their own users at this moment. Maybe, just maybe a future integration with the Yamaha arrangers will follow, but then we have Genos 3 and Cubase 15  :D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
Hi Lee

By putting Not Connected stops strange anomalies happening like track with orchestra eg, sounding like tom toms and whistles.
By doing this for me has stopped a lot of strangeness.
I put a track into Cubase to tidy up and it does it perfectly. My lead track with program changes  is recorded and then split into different wave tracks. Also you can split the drum track to separate channels to work on before recording.
Workstation 1 seems ok if it is not Focusrite
Workstation 1 is what I use for VST instruments.

All the Best

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
Thanks, John. I may give it another go this winter while waiting for the better weather to arrive in Canada :)!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 12:47:53 AM »
Hi Lee
I just Just Purchased Gulfoss EQ and wow , it lifts your music out of the gloom.
Works great on Genos recordings.
Tommy recommended it a year or so ago and It was being offered at a great price .
The only Black Friday deal i could find. What a bargain.
It listens to your recording on master bus and from there you apply some easy tweaks.
Comparing before and after, you can tell the sunny difference

All the Best
john :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:20:07 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
That looks interesting, John. I'll get a look at the website. Thanks.