Author Topic: Recording PSR SX900 onto smartphone...I'm flummoxed...UPDATE  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Jeff_M

Recording PSR SX900 onto smartphone...I'm flummoxed...UPDATE
« on: October 01, 2021, 03:38:49 PM »
I'm trying to record my keyboard with my smartphone without using the mic on the phone.  I using TWO Android phones, both with Android version 9 which I'm using for demos.  I use a 1/4" phone cable out of the L/R output of the PSR into the phone, and therein lies the problem (I think).  I've bought numerous adaptors and splitters and can get nothing to work.  I've used the headphone/mic jack (using a TRRS>TRS adaptor) on both phones and have tried using a TRRS>USB C adaptor.  The problem seems to be getting the phone(s) to recognize that a mic (or in this case, keyboard input) is being used.  I've watched over a dozen videos and have canvassed various Android forums all to no avail.  It appears it would be more straightforward if I had an I-phone but I have Androids.  At any rate, I guess I've hit the wall on this one.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:51:31 AM by Jeff_M »

Offline ckobu

Re: Recording PSR SX900 onto smartphone...I'm flummoxed
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
Watch this video, do as described. A nice shot can be made with an Android phone.

https://youtu.be/xAwNxSbPLSQ
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 06:32:43 PM »
I did exactly as that video described.  Nuthin.' 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 06:41:20 PM »
What exact phone model are you using? Is the Open Camera app used?
Watch my video channel

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 10:25:29 PM »
I'm using either an LG ThinQ or a Kyocera Duraforce Pro 2, both which have Android version 9.  I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't record on either of these phones. 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »
1. Install the OpenCamera App on LG
2. Be sure to close the Open Camera
3. Connect the cables as I showed in the 03:30 video
4. Launch the Open Camera App
5. Set the settings as in the video 11:00
6. Press recording

You have to follow this order, it is important to turn off the application and then connect the cables. I hope it works out.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Jeff_M

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »
I'll give it a try and report back.  Thanks so much. 

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 11:55:27 PM »
Tried with both phones, no go.  I'm using these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095K4V7NQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLGYW3H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Open Camera app set up as instructed.  It doesn't seem as though either phone is recognizing the mic and the Kyocera shows a headphone icon which reinforces my opinion.  Seems to me it must be a problem with one of the connectors.   These items are cheap enough that I'll probably just try two different ones.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:56:30 PM by Jeff_M »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 12:14:46 AM »
These are not the connectors you need.
The first link is for the Samsung iPhone, that adapter may not work on Android. The second link is definitely not what you need.

Take a closer look at this moment in the video (06:13). TRRS has 4 pins, it needs to be inserted into the cell phone. The last two TRRS connections are responsible for the keyboard input signal.

This is a cable that should be good for you.
https://amzn.to/3A5u4PI
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Jeff_M

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 01:07:17 AM »
Wrong connectors.  Well, I guess that's a relief.  I'll order the correct ones promptly.  I certainly appreciate your help, ckobu.  :-)  May I be so bold as to ask your recommendation on the 3/5mm-1/4" adaptor??  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:18:45 AM by Jeff_M »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »
The problem is that TRRS connectors are not standardized.  :( There are different dimensions but also different pin layouts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TRRS_3.5mm_-_2_length_variants.jpg
With phone, this is further complicated because the manufacturers did not write the exact specification for each model.

It is important to know that when recording in phone via the TRRS connector, the recording is always MONO.
This is because the input to the TRRS is intended for an external microphone, and one microphone can only be recorded by MONO.

Therefore, the cable (TS TS - picture 01) from the keyboard should be connected to MAIN L/L+R. At the other end, an adapter with 6.3 to 3.5 mm (picture2) is placed, which you continue on TRS to TRRS (picture 3). Don't be confused by the fact that there are TRS names, you will only use TS connections, in fact a mono signal.
What I have described is shown in the video from 03:13.
https://youtu.be/xAwNxSbPLSQ?t=188

I hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick, Jeff_M

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 11:29:51 AM »
Proper connectors have been ordered.  I'll report back when they arrive, probably four or five days.  Thanks again! 

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »
Presuming you are trying to record a video of you playing the keyboard and want the entire keyboard sound to be captured clear,

This is what I do.
- Insert a USB into the keyboard and set to record the audio.
- Set up the "Camera" for video.

Start the camera, Push Record in the Keyboard .. Play the keyboard.

Once done, take the video from the "Camera" Take the Audio from the USB.
- Process the audio to your taste.
- Trim and edit the video to your taste.

Finally, mute the Original Sound from the video and add your processed audio.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 01:07:31 AM »
Presuming you are trying to record a video of you playing the keyboard and want the entire keyboard sound to be captured clear,

This is what I do.
- Insert a USB into the keyboard and set to record the audio.
- Set up the "Camera" for video.

Start the camera, Push Record in the Keyboard .. Play the keyboard.

Once done, take the video from the "Camera" Take the Audio from the USB.
- Process the audio to your taste.
- Trim and edit the video to your taste.

Finally, mute the Original Sound from the video and add your processed audio.

Literally what I do as well. However, I've started adding a 'clapboard' clap (I just bring my hands in a clap vertically for the camera to see) in order to sync the video and audio properly (I obviously trim that out). I used to just use the moment I pressed the 1st key as a time sync, but sometimes it's more than 1 frame, which becomes guesswork

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »
Mark, I guess you would have be using a mic to make the clapboard thing work? Maybe you could achieve the same thing without a mic by hitting one note hard with an exaggerated movement a few seconds ahead so its clear on the video, then trimming that out.
Mike

Offline ckobu

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 12:05:02 PM »
Synchronizing video with audio and specially recorded audio is very easy. I described this in another video and this is the moment where you just need to visually align the audio signal.

https://youtu.be/Ehoq_vQM5Ko?t=298
Watch my video channel

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 12:14:08 AM »
Mark, I guess you would have be using a mic to make the clapboard thing work? Maybe you could achieve the same thing without a mic by hitting one note hard with an exaggerated movement a few seconds ahead so its clear on the video, then trimming that out.
Mike

Yes, you're correct... when I have a mic plugged in (and I'm recording vocals). I *don't* do the clapboard thing if I'm just recording the keyboard which is when I discovered it's not always easy to tell which frame should be synced to the first detection of audio.

I should probably include a mic, even for keyboard recordings, but most of the time, if I'm very quick on the "Rec Start" I can see the exact frame I start recording, and then I can usually sync from that point on. The clapboard style is more for when I'm singing; as you know, any video/audio sync issues are especially apparent when speaking/singing!

Mark

Offline Jeff_M

Re: Recording PSR SX900 onto smartphone...I'm flummoxed...UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 01:57:01 AM »
After purchasing the proper connectors recommended by ckobu I'm pleased to announced than I am now recording.  Doesn't work with the older LG phone, seems that the the headphone socket is worn and loose.  Works well on the Kyocera, enough that I quickly batted out a tune and uploaded it for your perusal/enjoyment/ridicule.  It has some degree of overmodulation (you have to be VERY careful with your volume setting) but by and large works well.  I'm pleased and future recordings will sound better, even though it's still only mono.  Thanks again, ckobu.  :-)       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhAfmHv0YE

Offline ckobu

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 08:09:37 AM »
Great musical number and nicely played.
In the moment (01:50) there was a slight distortion. You should slightly reduce the main volume on the keyboard to prevent this from happening.

This recording method is convenient for Live streaming because it does not require any additional equipment. He is a Mono and part of the quality is lost there, but he is definitely better than recording on a cell phone microphone.

Offline johan

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 09:31:23 AM »
I really like this performance, Jeff. Very well done! To avoid distorsion, it might help to put the mobile in flight mode.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463