Author Topic: Can Adding Expansion Packs Mess Up Registrations?  (Read 459 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Can Adding Expansion Packs Mess Up Registrations?
« on: February 17, 2024, 04:30:19 AM »
I just added a new set of expansion packs to what I already had in my Genos2 via a .cqi file. so far, it seems to have worked just fine.

But I wonder if this might possibly cause trouble with registrations I previously created. Is there a chance that adding new packs moves the old ones around in some way so that previously saved registrations don’t link to the proper styles?

I have not done anything specific about that in this process. I just added the new packs to my YEM setup, created the .cqi file, and loaded it from USB flash drive.

Thanks…
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline BogdanH

Re: Can Adding Expansion Packs Mess Up Registrations?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 08:32:45 AM »
hello Michael,
I don't think that registrations could for some reason link to wrong style: it will either use the right one, or none (in case that style is missing).
That is, if registrations use styles from currently installed expansion pack, then when you add new content with .cqi (or .pqi), you need to make sure that relevant styles are also selected.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 09:42:43 PM »
If you're worried about it changing the bank LSB, the quick installer only adds *new* LSB assignments (unless you modified LSB's intentionally on a non-Yamaha pack,or deleted a non Yamaha pack from your YEM and then loaded a new non-Yamaha pack in its place)

For Yamaha's own packs, that doesn't change bank LSB/MSB at all; so no worried. For non-Yamaha packs, the only way it could mess anything up is if you duplicated a bank LSB on top of one you already had previously installed on your keyboard (with a different pack), which quick installer won't allow anyway.

If you look at YEM, any new pack you install is assigned to a new LSB, and that doesn't even matter for Yamaha packs (only matters for 3rd party).

So, no, it won't mess up your registrations.

What *will* mess up your registrations is installing, creating registrations (using 3rd party packs) and then re-installing those 3rd party packs to a *different* bank LSB in YEM and then re-installing to your kb again.

So take note of which 3rd party sounds & styles you use (if any) and make sure you make a note of where they are in case you ever delete and reinstall the same pack; it needs to go back into the same LSB in order to leave registrations unaffected. If you use only Yamaha packs, then you don't even need to worry about this.

Mark

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 10:33:54 PM »
The quick answer to your question is no.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff