Author Topic: equalization and compression questions  (Read 1561 times)

Offline chuckeys123

equalization and compression questions
« on: September 28, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
To my ear, I have noticed that as nice as my 770 sounds at home, on stage in a band it seems like there is a thin quality to many sounds, like piano, clav, many organs, horns. If I listen to korgs and rolands, there seems to be a totally different character to them, seemingly more of a midrange thump to them. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me, and if so, have any suggestions on how to use equalization, and perhaps compression to get better results? Or perhaps point me to any good resources on the web? I know so little about compression and equalization that trying to achieve results without guidance I am like a monkey on a typewriter trying to write a book

Offline ckobu

Re: equalization and compression questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
My experiences are completely different. The Yamaha on stage sounds much more compact and better than the Korg or Roland. It is very important what kind of sound system is played. If only two 12 "speakers are used and they belong to the middle price range, the difference in sound can be in favor of Korg or Roland. If a more serious sound system is used that can reproduce everything Yamaha gives, then there is no dilemma.
Watch these two videos, they will probably help you understand some basic things about EQ and Compressor.

Settings Master equalizer (EQ) on Yamaha arrangers
https://youtu.be/vPzkYHt80jQ

Use of Compressors in Yamaha arrangers
https://youtu.be/MlgO9oSXkDY

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 06:12:18 PM »
Much of this will depend upon your sound system, the size and configuration of the venue and audience density. However, you still must set up your EQs and compression in order to get that full, robust sound, which in my opinion, Yamaha provides far more latitude than the competition. Keep in mind, there is no hard, fast rule with setting the correct EQs - every venue is different and must be treated as such. If you are doing a lot of on stage performances with a band, I would suggest taking a good look at the Bose L1 PAS system with a single subwoofer - it really rocks for this type of work.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 03:05:49 PM »
I really like the sound of linnear array systems. You really need a full range system to recreate the sound of so many instruments from the arrangers. I have a pair of jbl eon 1's, and love them