Author Topic: Chord looper and odd numbers of bars  (Read 1413 times)

Offline musicteach

Chord looper and odd numbers of bars
« on: September 24, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »
I am a music teacher and I just got a Genos.  It is an amazing tool.  I am trying to do some chord loops with songs that have six measures, and I  can't get it working.  I have been looking in the manual etc.  Is there something I am missing?  Please point me towards a tutorial if there is a good one.  I haven't found one yet.  Many thanks in advance.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Chord looper and odd numbers of bars
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:05 PM »
I am a music teacher and I just got a Genos.  It is an amazing tool.  I am trying to do some chord loops with songs that have six measures, and I  can't get it working.  I have been looking in the manual etc.  Is there something I am missing?  Please point me towards a tutorial if there is a good one.  I haven't found one yet.  Many thanks in advance.

You need to provide more info. Your subject says "odd number", but the body says "six".

What part of "can't get it working" can't you get working?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline musicteach

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »
I try to record a six-bar phrase, and I am getting an 8 bar loop.  I meant six as an odd number of bars for music...not a mathematically odd number :)

Offline BartW

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:14:19 PM »
If you are using the sequencer aka chord looper, it is possible to record any "odd" number of bars. For example, using a 4/4 style, I just recorded a 5-bar loop. This loop is 5 chord changes (one per bar) and then after bar 5, it starts to bar 1.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:46:38 PM by BartW »

Offline musicteach

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 05:35:09 PM »
Thanks Bartw, I am glad it works with any number of bars. I tried inputting the chords with sync/start, but I can't even get a 2 bar phrase.  It is always doing 4 bars.  But I will continue to experiment with it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
Bartw - the question refers to number of measures, ie bars, not number of chord changes.
Mike

Offline BartW

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
Bartw - the question refers to number of measures, ie bars, not number of chord changes.
Mike

I edited it for clarity. I answered the question. It is possible to record an odd number of bars AND/OR chord changes IF there is one chord change per bar, for example. It is also possible to record an odd number of measures/bars if, for example, there are two chord changes per bar. In my example, a 5 bar loop could have 10 chord changes if I made two chord changes per each bar.

Musicteach - I never use the sync/start - just record it live doing the chord changes on the fly and press record in chord looper when done. Note, you should try to time the first chord on the first beat in measure. This way, I believe you can record a loop of any length (with probably some limitation as to max # of measures). All of this is with Firmware 2.02 for reference.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:55:26 PM by BartW »

Offline musicteach

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 08:14:58 AM »
Hi guys and gals.  I figured out what I was doing wrong.  The accompaniment patterns are 2 or sometimes 4 bars long, and it seems you can't start the loop over in the middle of an accompaniment phrase.  I noticed on the screen it says which bar of the the phrase you are on.  2/4 for example.