Author Topic: Hello! Just got my new Genos two days ago.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Rich Z

Hello! Just got my new Genos two days ago.
« on: September 23, 2021, 01:35:17 AM »
First off I will admit that I am a terrible keyboard player.  71 years old, retired 10 years or so ago.  Located near Tallahassee, Florida.  Played in top 40 bands in my younger days using a Hammond B3, MiniMoog synth, and at one point a Mellotron that was owned by the bass player.

Quit the bands and sold my equipment many moons ago when I found that playing 6 nights a week and working a full time job during the day was just a killer and I had to choose one over the other.  I guess when I went to a bank to get a loan to buy the B3 and the loan officer asked me about my employment, and I told him a musician in a band and he wrote down "UNEMPLOYED", that made a real impression on me.  :)

Anyway, bought various keyboard to play at home over the years.  Still have a Kurzweil PC3x, that hasn't seen daylight from under the dust cover since I bought the Korg Kronos.  Hooked up a Roland BK-7m to the Kronos to give me a sort of semi-arranger capability, but it was never very satisfactory.

So enter the Genos.  Haven't spent much time with it yet, but after fiddling with the EQ settings and pumping the sound through my modified home theater sound system, it sounds really decent now. Luckily I live in the middle of the woods, otherwise the neighbors would be threatening me with bodily harm. Heck, they STILL might hear me. I guess if they put up with the joker in the pickup truck who blasts his stereo while driving up and down the road, they certainly can put up with me. But the wife and I have a reputation for being the crazy people with snakes and guns, so probably no worries there.

I will likely be interested in buying the offerings here for more styles and MIDI implementations.  Sooner or later, any way. Don't want to get too bogged down when just trying to get my feet wet with this new keyboard.  Actually I was lucky to find a Genos offered for sale, as it seemed like most places I looked were sold out and had them on backorder.  I debated between the Genos and the Kork PA4x but I just felt that the styles sounded much better to my ears on the Genos. There were some functions on the PA4x that the Genos didn't have, but I weighted the sound of the styles pretty heavily.

Oh well. Enough already. I am a pretty fast touch typist so I can get wordy sometimes.  :(

Just saying "HEY".
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Hello! Just got my new Genos two days ago.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 03:41:51 AM »
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new Genos keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains 101,564 song titles in 2,634 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Online overover

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:55:35 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Rich!

I wish you a lot of fun and joy with your Genos!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations on getting the Genos. You will derive great pleasure from it and get a lot of help here if you get stuck. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 11:15:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum Rick - and congrats wth your Genos!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
Dear Rick,

your story and the way you tell us about, are both very nice and enjoyable!

I'm about your age and Genos is a precious companion of my days. I moved to Yamaha after 20 years of Korg worships (the latest I had was an excellent Pa3x), the main reasons being the quality of sounds (Revo Drums are just unbeatable...), and the superior usability of the Styles, together with that huge touchscreen that makes everything much easier and faster.

In my personal case, instead of searching additional styles, I preferred to customize the many (real many!) available by default.
I first made a long work (not yet completed at all) to modify all the styles of my interest (all saved in a directory I named "MyStyles").
Then I started to make so called "song styles", by further adjusting the styles of my choice to each particular song (these have been saved in a dedicated directory, that I named "Repertoire"). So far I got more than 200 song styles, increasing every day. That gives me the chance to access immediately to songs I like to play and helps to develop creative fantasy.

I any way you will use your Genos it will definitively provide real happiness.

This Forum can be a tremendous companion to understand the wide world of genos capacities, often much better than the owner and reference manuals. Wellcome!

Angelo  :D
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 09:54:40 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I was playing around with the Genos today, and got a really odd feeling.  I thought the Genos would be a really good arranger, but wasn't expecting it to be THAT good.  I am humbled.  I will never be a good enough keyboard player to do this thing justice. Whoever coined the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" was much more accurate than I care to admit. At least in my case, anyway.  :(

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »
I really, really HATE that saying. Old dogs learn new tricks all the time, and so do humans! The brain is flexible, and the more we use it the better it gets. The wonderful Yamaha arrangers inspire us to evolve as musicians. I never learned to play, but am doing it anyway😀 Enjoy your Genos and have fun, tons of fun😀😀😀
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:35:16 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 11:05:12 PM »
Yeah, some sayings can be a problem, whether there is some truth behind them or not. For instance, my mom (before she died) REALLY regretting saying to me, "Richard, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."   My wife (Connie) regrets that phrase too whenever she walks into my den or workroom.  :)

And my garage.  Lordy, my garage.  I am a tool-a-holic of epic proportions. I have tools I have forgotten what they are for.

Sigh, does this quality for being "off topic"? I write like I talk with people. The conversation can change direction at any time.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »
Tool-a- holic. LOL😀😀 Best not to look at your keyboards as tools, or you will end up with 50😀😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.