Author Topic: Accelerando or ritardando  (Read 1947 times)

Offline jcm2016

Accelerando or ritardando
« on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:17 PM »
Is there a way to smoothly change the tempo of a style from one to another?  I know I could have a registration at say 100, and then the next at 80, but it will be sudden.  How can I make it smooth?   I was wondering if an expression peddle could do it, where it is set to control tempo.  I don't have an expression peddle (and have never used one), but from reading on here and watching YouTube, it makes sense to me that it would work.   How about one of the live control knobs (just thought of that as I'm typing!)?

Thanks as always

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Accelerando or ritardando
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:22:34 AM »
Is there a way to smoothly change the tempo of a style from one to another?  I know I could have a registration at say 100, and then the next at 80, but it will be sudden.  How can I make it smooth?   I was wondering if an expression peddle could do it, where it is set to control tempo.  I don't have an expression peddle (and have never used one), but from reading on here and watching YouTube, it makes sense to me that it would work.   How about one of the live control knobs (just thought of that as I'm typing!)?

I change tempos a lot with registrations, and have always been happy with the way the style changes.

If you don't want to go directly from 80 to 100, as in your example, use more than one registration to go from, for example, 80 to 90 to 100.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 11:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the response

I tried the live control knob and it worked.  The only is like any of the assignable buttons or knobs, it changed back once I changed the registration, so I'll need to update that. 

Offline ticktock

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:56 AM »
Hi jcm2016,
I'm curious. How could you do it with the knob, and what KB model do you use?
Thanks, Ted

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
On Genos you have six assignable knobs and you can set one up to change your tempo whilst playing.

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
Ted

I went to the Menu and selected Live Control. That brings up the two knobs.  I pressed the box with the orange highlight, on the left scrolled down to Overall, and on the right selected Master Tempo.   It does exactly what I was looking for - allows me to smoothly adjust the tempo of the style.   It will take some practice to integrate that into a song.  Good luck.

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »
Sorry for being late.

Will Tap tempo work for you?
Have sold off my S975 so no way of verifying.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
.....Will Tap tempo work for you?....
That could never be practical, if you wanted to tap in a smooth tempo reduction while live playing using this you would need to tap in absolutely accurately several tempos in small reduced steps, all while still playing. Not possible, the time taken to tap would likely exceed the time available to achieve small smooth steps, and in any case no one can tap tempo this accurately. Not to mention how hard it is to tap a new tempo while the old one is still playing.
Mike

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:50:47 PM »
Assuming the PSR works like Genos a simple way to alter tempo (without excessive jumps in values sometimes experienced when using live controls) is to press the tempo + and - buttons simultaneously. This immediately brings up the standard Tempo screen from which you can make small or large adjustments as required. If the tempo does not stay long enough on screen to make the adjustments while playing you should be able to extend the display time in the settings.
John