Author Topic: running backup task  (Read 2956 times)

Bonzai99

running backup task
« on: September 22, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
I have a questions.  I regularly run back ups of my Genos. Suddenly now when I try to run a back up I am getting an error message
"Too many files in one folder to back up".   The most recent registration folder that ive added songs to only has 150 files. I have always had other folders with many more files than that that never posed a problem .Any help here would be appreciated ,thanks

Offline Dave Nuttall

Re: running backup task
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »
It might be helpful to know what software is being used to create the backup.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Online ckobu

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 02:03:42 PM »
I have a questions.  I regularly run back ups of my Genos. Suddenly now when I try to run a back up I am getting an error message
"Too many files in one folder to back up".   The most recent registration folder that ive added songs to only has 150 files. I have always had other folders with many more files than that that never posed a problem .Any help here would be appreciated ,thanks

The same problem happens to me although I am 100% sure that no Folder has more than 250-300 files. The only solution is to create a Partial Backup. I described that in this video.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk

It might be helpful to know what software is being used to create the backup.

Full Backup is done from the Keyboard Menu. There is no specific software for this action.
https://youtu.be/qiAZ8Yowqk0
Watch my video channel

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »
The same problem happens to me although I am 100% sure that no Folder has more than 250-300 files. The only solution is to create a Partial Backup.

Check to see if you have a folder with more than 250 files. Yamaha keyboards used to have a 250 file limit, so maybe this is a limit they forgot to update in their backup procedure. Remember, to Yamaha, a subfolder counts as a file.

Cheers.
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online ckobu

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »
Check to see if you have a folder with more than 250 files. Yamaha keyboards used to have a 250 file limit, so maybe this is a limit they forgot to update in their backup procedure. Remember, to Yamaha, a subfolder counts as a file.

Cheers.
Fred

With Genos and SX, there can be a maximum of 2,500 files in one Folder. When files are stacked in subfolders, data is easily accumulated. So it happened to me at the Style folder. I deleted the unnecessary folders and now everything is OK.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Bonzai99

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 08:19:50 PM »
Sorry I cant find the exact video on you channel.  Can you send a link perhaps that will walk me through the whole process of backing up my Genos the my windows PC?  Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
the whole process of backing up my Genos the my windows PC?  Thanks

If you're going to back up to a PC, it's easy.

1. Connect your keyboard to your PC using a standard printer cable (USB to host port on the keyboard, USB port on the PC)
2. Power on the keyboard in USB storage mode (Power on + Playlist button); the User drive will look like an external hard drive to the PC.
3. Copy whatever you want using File Explorer.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Bonzai99

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 09:02:34 AM »
Thank you sooo much this is a big help.