Author Topic: Are there any Buyer's Guides for used Keyboards?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline John UK

Are there any Buyer's Guides for used Keyboards?
« on: September 21, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
Been looking around the various sections of this forum and the website, but haven't found any buyer's guides for used keyboards. Has anyone ever written one for the Genos or Tyros 5?
I have checked all the keys and most of the buttons,sliders, dials work, and the lights/LEDs work when buying a synthesizer, but wondering if there are other specific things to check on these keyboards.

Offline Colin D

Re: Are there any Buyer's Guides for used Keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Some of the Tyros range are suffering from missed keys, and the rubbers need replacing or a faulty circuit board, this is easy to spot by pressing each key several times,  obviously mechanical damage, also look what is installed, is it full of imported stuff in the user section, look for wear on the buttons and sliders, they are obvious a sign of a lot of use.

The Genos black finish is easily worn by touching, also the button numbers can wear off too easy, mine has on Reg button 1.  Look if the latest firmware is installed too,

That's all I can offer, Tyros is great,  Genos is brilliant,

Cheers,

Colin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:51:31 AM by Colin D »
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 06:13:16 PM »
Used keyboard guide? I don’t think such a thing exists. You can check the obvious - like you listed on the synths- but beyond that not much can be said. Buy from a dealer you trust, ask him if he has checked it out, is probably best.
Mike

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 12:10:18 PM »
No, no such guide exists. At least not in the UK, and I'm not aware of any elsewhere in the world.

As with used organs, you need to check every key for correct operation, with the touch response enabled. Press every button and see if they all work. Play it loud and see if there's any distortion. Plug in headphones to make sure that socket works. Look at the power supply block. Is it, and the cables, in good order. Does the power lead fit well in the socket. Check the screen - certain models were known for having problems. It should be clear, no odd colours, lines or blotches. If you can, and you know how, check that the USB socket is OK, load and save something. If the keyboard's old and has a floppy drive, be wary, replacements may be unobtainable as some are non-standard.

If you can, take someone along who knows what they are looking at. If in doubt, walk away.

Buying from a dealer will cost you more, of course, but you do have recourse if there are any problems.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com