Author Topic: Time To Sell?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline guitpic1

Time To Sell?
« on: September 19, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
This is a bit of a rambling message…so bear with me. 😊

I bought my Genos new in Jan 2018.  I used it for gigs for two years, with my last gig in Dec. 2019. I have not gigged with it since.

It’s not likely that I’ll gig with it in any near future as I broke my foot and can’t haul equipment… probably for many months to come.

And at age 72, I have lost the interest in hauling equipment to the gig.

The Genos doesn’t owe me any $$$ as my gigging paid for it.

I could keep it to play at home, but here’s the issue….

A couple of months ago I got the Yamaha DGX 670….amazing piano and playing just for myself that’s my go to keyboard.  My Genos has been gathering dust for over a year now. The Genos is much too good a keyboard to gather dust.

Thoughts?

😊

guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Time To Sell?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:50:03 PM »
Given what you said, I’d sell it. You’ll get a good price for it, as it’s in high demand, with very little supply.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
guitpic1. Your comments rang my bell because due health problems, this week i part-exchanged my Tyros5 76 for the DGX670. The few Tyros styles I tested did play fine. Certainly the Keybed is very good.
A new learning curve to challenge my 84 aging brain.

Any further input from you being a DGX670 owner about the plus things and minus things  please they would be helpful.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:30:22 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
The DGX670 certainly isn't a Genos (using the sx600 chipset) but it *is* still really good, with it's 88 keys and 4 way speakers. If you're not using your Genos, now is *definitely* the time to sell since demand is really high.

Just keep in mind you wont' have access to revo drums/ rhythms, Super Articulation 2 voices, and any sample library downloads (like regional voice packs or new piano sounds).

If you're *not* going to use any of those features? You should definitely look at a DGX670. Heck, I have an s970 and a CVP309, I'm still considering swapping those 2 for a Genos and a DGX670 combo; although more likely a Genos + (P515 or Modx8) combo.

Mark

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 11:54:12 PM »
Thx all for the comments.  I’m in no hurry..just thinking.

At one time, I midi’d my Genos with a Roland RD2000…double stacked on a guitar stand.  It worked well but I didn’t enjoy it all that much and it would never work for gigging
guitpic1

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
The Genos is much too good a keyboard to gather dust.

Every night I put on my beloved Genos a perfect (and good looking) dust cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Stretchy-Keyboard-Keyboards-GKC-1540/dp/B0002CZTIE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gator+gkc1540&qid=1632138493&sr=8-1

that fits perfectly to Genos (it has an elastic adjustable string), and looks still new after one year.

....and do weekly surface dust removing with a soft cloth.

Obviously these actions do not prevent 100% dust, specially for what goes inside trough the faders openings. But much better than nothing.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »
If your playing depends much on styles, and you love the s.art effects, keep the Genos.  If you are mainly a pianist, consentrate on the DGX, with  the 88 keys and great key action.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
Roger,  You sound a bit like me i.e. switching keyboards.   I'm keeping my Genos even though I'm not gigging nearly as much as I used to.  I was on the fence about buying a DGX670, I like many things about it but since I don't really need the arranger functions I've opted to order a Roland RD88.  The RD88 gives me 88 keys and a way to keep my piano chops alive. If need be I can midi the RD88 to my Genos.  My steady gig now is a 2 hour piano solo gig every week in the lobby of a hospital where they have a grand piano.   I just ordered the RD88 from Frankieve @ AudioProCt.     
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
If your playing depends much on styles, and you love the s.art effects, keep the Genos.  If you are mainly a pianist, concentrate on the DGX, with  the 88 keys and great key action.
Fully agreed. If money is not an issue, keep the Genos. Between the two keyboards you have the best of both worlds: playing as a pianist or keyboardist.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 09:42:08 PM »
There will never be enough keyboards! Here the number is growing :) I would never dream of selling my Genos, but that is me :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »
Keep the Genos and start to learn how to create your own custom song styles with your extra time. Learn something new and keep your Brain working until your foot heals and the world get back to sanity.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:34:06 PM by DrakeM »

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »
I think keep it is the sage advice.  😊
guitpic1

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
I bought mine in November 2019...and only gigged with it 3 times and then the SARS-COV2 arrived :( since then i only have it to play at home and that's an investment that i haven't recovered but i don't want to sell it neither. I took the time at home to fill it with styles, editions and samples samples and samples, now i have a Triton Extreme, D-50, DX7 and a big latin pack of sounds inside but i haven't been able to play out :( I'm younger than you...only 32 years old, It's a shame what happened to your foot but i hope you can gig someday. If i was you i wouldn't sell my Genos, there are a lot of things you can still do with it..I think it's the perfect keyboard.

Best wishes

Luis Miguel
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.