Author Topic: NO DATA message  (Read 1920 times)

Offline tyros2009

NO DATA message
« on: September 19, 2021, 03:46:00 AM »
I was using a blank USB (formatted on PC) and was able to save to USR. on the USB stick, I see USER folder and inside this folder a file USER01. I save USR again, now I get USER02. That works fine so far.
Then I recorded a few AUDIO songs, they are stored in the USER folde, that's great.
Then I bring the USB to PC , copy the WAVE files recorded to PC, copy a few styles I downloaded from this forum.
My EW410 (same E463 with 76 keys) does load a few style files on this USB stick, and these styles play well on the keyboard.

EVERYTHING IS AS EXPECTED UNTIL:
I copy more styles to the same USB stick (at the root), put the USB back in the keyboard.
From this point on, any attempt to access any file on the USB stick result in a "NO DATA" message.
I reformat this USB stick and one more (2GB) on a PC, plug in the keyboard, the same issue persists with both of these USB sticks. The ONLY thing I can do with these USB sticks is to do AUDIO recording and the WAV files do end up on the USB stick.

How to I get my 2GB USB to work properly on my EW410 again ?
Helps are greatly appreciated.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline johan

Re: NO DATA message
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
1. format the stick on your keyboard
2. do not place too much styles on it
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »
I wish I could get to the Format choice.
The issue is: I hold down the Function button, the screen shows "Load SMPL", then use category << and >> buttons to get to the next item, I get "no data" message instead.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 09:52:19 PM »
Did you already try a reset of the keyboard?
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 03:15:39 AM »
Doing a reset will cause the keyboard to wipe out all my registrations !!!
I have saved my registrations on my PC (and USB).
If keyboard reset does not solve the problem, I will have to recreate my all registrations again.
Some day I will try.
For now, I can still record audio on USB and that is great.

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 03:18:19 AM »
I will explore the possibility to "fix" the "no data" issue by connecting the keyboard to my PC using USB cable.
Then download a few things to the keyboard.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 03:31:55 AM »
Doing a reset will cause the keyboard to wipe out all my registrations !!!

That is not true, and never has been. Do the reset.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »
Clearing or resetting the Backup memory will erase any User Songs, Registrations, and User Styles from the system backup memory, but it won't erase anything from the internal flash memory.

Clearing or resetting the Flash memory will erase any files that were transferred to the internal flash memory using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader, such as MIDI song files and style files, but it won't erase anything from the system backup memory.

A full factory reset would require doing both types of resets, but if you don't need to do a full factory reset then you can reset either just the backup memory or just the flash memory.

Either way, before resetting you should save anything you don't want to lose.

Before resetting the backup memory, you can either save the memory to a User File on a USB drive, or save it to a Backup File on a computer using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader.

Before resetting the flash memory, you can save any files that were transferred to it by transferring them back to a computer using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader.

The irony is, if you need to reset the backup memory to fix an issue caused by corrupt data within the memory, you will most likely just revert back to the corrupt data if you restore the backup memory after resetting it.

On the other hand, if you reset the backup memory and it doesn't resolve the issue, then you know the problem was not in the backup memory's contents, so you can safely restore the backup memory.

Now, having said all that... I'm not sure where you're getting the "No data" display, but one thing to be aware of is that the keyboard will say "No data" if you try to select one of the User Style slots that hasn't had a style file loaded to it yet. Basically, it means there's no style data in that particular User Style slot-- although that isn't entirely true, because Yamaha actually puts a "minimal" style there that is empty except for having a drum beat on each beat of the measure, sort of like a metronome. So if you're seeing "No data" when trying to select a User Style, it's not actually a problem, just an "empty" User Style slot.

But if you're seeing "No data" when trying to read the USB drive, that's something else entirely.

By the way, a couple of years ago I created a "No data .sty" file by saving a User File that had some empty User Style slots in it, grabbing the bytes that contained the "empty" style data which Yamaha uses for those slots, and saving them to a style file. I did that so people who wanted to "clear" an individual User Style slot could load the "No data .sty" file into that slot. So if you happen to have that style file on your USB drive, you'll see a "No data" style when browsing the USB drive for a style file to load-- although you should also still see any other style files that are on the USB drive.

Not trying to confuse you, just checking whether you do actually have a problem or not. :)

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 10:39:05 PM »
Today, I decide to go check the "no data" issue again.
This time, the File function does a proper job. I can walk thru various item, and save again another USR (USR003) , and this works. Then I tried again, now get "no data" message !!!

IT TURNS OUT THAT I WAS ON DRUG !!! Instead of using the Categories << and >> buttons, I hit - or + keys instead without even thinking about it.

Anyway, thanks so much for members to try to help. I was a bit confused last week as I acquired two new keyboards just one day apart, a new Genos and this EW410 (for my wife and other students to practice on).
Going between the Genos and the EW410 got me a bit dizzy.