Author Topic: Timpani roll multipad and Multipad volume  (Read 1586 times)

Offline casper

Timpani roll multipad and Multipad volume
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »
Dear all

I hope someone could help with the following queries on multipads in the PSR-SX series keyboards:

1. Is there a preset multipad with a one-shot timpani roll?

2. For a custom (i.e. self-created) midi multipad, is its resultant volume dependent on the original volume I set for the voice when recording the multipad? In other words, at the same mixer volume, is a custom multipad recorded at volume level 20 louder than one recorded at volume level 10?

Thanks and regards
casper
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:09:14 PM by casper »
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Timpani roll multipad and Multipad volume
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:47:35 PM »

2. For a custom (i.e. self-created) midi multipad, is its resultant volume dependent on the original volume I set for the voice when recording the multipad? In other words, at the same mixer volume, is a custom multipad recorded at volume level 20 louder than one recorded at volume level 10?

Don't have a PSR, so can't help you with #1.

On #2, loudness is a function of two factors. First, how hard you hit the key (called velocity in a midi file), and the volume setting. Each setting is a number from 0 to 127.

So, within a multipad, you can have a velocity of 50 for one note, and a velocity of 100 for another. The second note is twice as loud as the first.

Once  you've created the multipad, its overall volume is controlled in the mixer.  A volume of 100 is normal (no change from the recorded loudness). A volume of 120 is 20% louder, and volume of 50 is half as loud.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline casper

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:44:41 AM »
Don't have a PSR, so can't help you with #1.

On #2, loudness is a function of two factors. First, how hard you hit the key (called velocity in a midi file), and the volume setting. Each setting is a number from 0 to 127.

So, within a multipad, you can have a velocity of 50 for one note, and a velocity of 100 for another. The second note is twice as loud as the first.

Once  you've created the multipad, its overall volume is controlled in the mixer.  A volume of 100 is normal (no change from the recorded loudness). A volume of 120 is 20% louder, and volume of 50 is half as loud.

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks, Fred, for your speedy reply.

Let's assume that I have recorded a string voice multipad at velocity 50 and volume 80, and another with the same velocity (50) but higher volume (120). Having been created, will both sound different at the same overall mixer volume level? Or are all multipads recorded at a default recording volume of 100 regardless of the level set before the recording?

As for the timpani roll, does your keyboard model have such a multipad? If yes, can you please let me know the bank name so that I could explore it in my SX900? Otherwise, do you know of such a multipad shared in the PSR Tutorial site?

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate your spending time to help clueless members like me here, lol.

Regards
casper
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 05:46:04 AM by casper »
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 08:21:45 AM »
Hi Casper
A multipad with a volume of 100 should sound louder than the one with 80, but that also depends on the dynamics with which you played it. Anyway, it can further adjust the volume. Watch this part of the video but don't add a new control but just set the value to Volume.

https://youtu.be/UYvol2fThG0?t=187
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: casper

Offline casper

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
Hi Casper
A multipad with a volume of 100 should sound louder than the one with 80, but that also depends on the dynamics with which you played it. Anyway, it can further adjust the volume. Watch this part of the video but don't add a new control but just set the value to Volume.

https://youtu.be/UYvol2fThG0?t=187

Thank you for this insight.

Regards
casper
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
I didn't find any good Timpani, look only in the group Legacy > Precussion > Timbales / Tom - 3 Pad.

You can very easily make your own Multipads from any MIDI using PadMaker MIDI. Watch the video.

https://youtu.be/LrMD7Qm2Rsk
Watch my video channel