Author Topic: Genos firmware upgrade  (Read 1778 times)

Offline tyros2009

Genos firmware upgrade
« on: September 18, 2021, 02:24:23 PM »
I have downloaded Genos firmware version 2.02 from Yamaha Website, and read the instructions carefully.
It seems to be quite straight forward to upgrade, including backing up some user setups before and restore them after.
I like to ask Genos community before taking this "major" step.
1) is it worth to do the firmware upgrade
2) has anyone run into any trouble with this firmware upgrade
3) if the upgrade fails for any mysterious reason, will Genos ever quit working ?
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Genos firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 03:05:56 PM »
I have downloaded Genos firmware version 2.02 from Yamaha Website, and read the instructions carefully.
It seems to be quite straight forward to upgrade, including backing up some user setups before and restore them after.
I like to ask Genos community before taking this "major" step.
1) is it worth to do the firmware upgrade
2) has anyone run into any trouble with this firmware upgrade
3) if the upgrade fails for any mysterious reason, will Genos ever quit working ?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Don’t know, as it’s never happened to me.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »
Yes of course you should do the upgrade as it adds more functions like Chord Looper for one.
  Have never heard of anyone having problems with it.

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 04:00:19 AM »
Thanks, I did and it works.
In my career, I have done tons of firmware upgrade for the products which I wrote firmware for.
In some rare case, it fails for unexpected reason (lost of power as someone walk over the power cable). 
But there is way to recover and redo the firmware upgrade. That is not something a normal user could do to recover.
That is why I asked the question. Happy to hear that no one ever had trouble with firmware upgrade on Genos.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »

Hi.
I think Yamaha has made the the OS / Firmware upgrade more or less 'bulletproof', and if it fail during the operation, just start over again. 😊

Quote from the Firmware Installation Procedure Guide:

1) The power supply was cut off or the USB flash drive was removed during operation.
    A complete reinstall is necessary. Perform the operation again from the beginning.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: Pauljones

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 08:13:39 AM »
Hi.
I agree that the upgrade was done well. You can also revert to the old version or repeat the process for the same. I had a message athat the extinguishing did not go well. After the second ignition, everything was fine. All USER data was deleted, so I returned it without any problems. Making the entire Backup is mandatory before such a procedure.
https://youtu.be/cQueM4rfQwU?t=214

You should be made only Partial Backup because the BUP file from V 1.9. will not load in 2.0. I hope you already know that but it’s good to repeat.
https://youtu.be/W0GhgoXf3gk
Watch my video channel

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
"Making the entire Backup is mandatory before such a procedure."

This is a good reason to keep a backup on USB.