Author Topic: Connecting SX900 to piano with MIDI  (Read 1291 times)

Offline jcm2016

Connecting SX900 to piano with MIDI
« on: September 18, 2021, 01:08:52 PM »
I have an SX 900 and also a Feurich piano with a silent system attached (meaning I flip a lever and turn on the system, and the hammers no longer hit the strings, so the piano is effectively a keyboard).  I'm trying to connect them so that I can play the piano with its 88 weighted keys and it comes through the SX900.   

The directions for the Feurich are awful.   It shows that there are two MIDI ports - one on the front of the control panel and one on the back.  I've attached photos.  There's also a USB slot, but the control panel itself and the directions don't say that is MIDI - they say it is storage.

The SX900 has MIDI DIN ports on the back for in and out.

I think I want a cable that goes from one of the MIDI ports on the piano to the MIDI DIN in port in the SX 900.

But I can't figure out what type of connector I need for the piano.  I've looked online and none that I've seen seem to match up.  I want to simply connect them and have it work.  I have no expert with DAW or computer music software, and don't have time to get into that (what little I have goes into the piano or the SX900).

I presume I'm missing something here!

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you

Offline jcm2016

Re: Connecting SX900 to piano with MIDI
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
And here is a doc with photos of the front and back of the piano control panel.  Thanks in advance for any help!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 09:27:35 AM »
It seems to me (I'm almost sure) that on the plastic only write MIDI, but those connectors are not used to midi. The upper is HDMI, and the lower is USB mini connector.
If you have more information about that piano, I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t have a built-in MIDI.
Watch my video channel

Offline MikeS

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Manual  https://bospianoservice.nl/media/pdf/handleiding_feurich-premium_en.pdf
Feurich  https://www.feurich.com/en/innovation/silencer-systems/

Manual shows that the rear HDMI like port is for optional Midi cable - appears to be a proprietary cable, see p28 of manual.
Front USB Host port (Type A) for USB Memory. May be able to use USB to Midi converter on this port.
Other mini USB port Connects with PC through USB. (USB MIDI, System Upgrade). You may be able to connect a USB to midi converter to this port. You would need to contact Feurich to determine if this is possible and then what USB to Midi converters are compatible.

There are 2 Feurich silencer systems, do not know which one you have. You need to contact Feurich to get the rear Midi cable or if USB to Midi is possible. Feurich link has a contact link to get more info.

The following users thanked this post: sardonyx

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Thank you both for the responses.  In some ways I'm glad it isn't so simple (makes be feel like I didn't miss something obvious), but also means this has a low chance of working out easily.  Regardless, thank you again for your time.