Author Topic: PSR-E443 how to save Registration banks (and user data)  (Read 2836 times)

Offline tyros2009

PSR-E443 how to save Registration banks (and user data)
« on: August 07, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
I just got a PSR-E443 (second hand), and spend sometimes to setup my registration banks, so each will call up a Styles + Voices + tempo. I like to save all these to an USB thumb drive.
When I hold down the FUNCTION button, only one option shows up: "Load STY"
The Categories "+" and "-" buttons do not change to other options.
Did I do anything wrong ?
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline SciNote

Re: PSR-E443 how to save Registration banks (and user data)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 05:55:19 AM »
Okay, I did some experimenting with my PSR-E433, which should work similarly to your E443 as far as USB functions go.

When you held down the FUNCTION button, did you have a flash drive plugged into the USB slot?  Because I found that on my keyboard, if no flash drive is installed, then I only get the options of Load STY and Exit after I hold down the FUNCTION button.  Once I insert the flash drive and give it several seconds to recognize it (the USB symbol stops blinking on the display and shows steadily on), then I can access the other functions, such as to save and load USR files.  I don't know if it matters or not, but I always try to make sure that the keyboard is NOT in the file-handling mode when I insert or remove a flash drive.  After it recognizes the flash drive, then that is when I enter the file-handling mode by holding down the FUNCTION button.

And of course, when you are attempting to select different USB/flash drive functions, make sure you use the Category (+) and (-) buttons, not the (+) and (-) buttons at the numeric keypad.

Another possibility could be the way you are powering the keyboard.  The USB file-handing functions may not work if you are running the keyboard on batteries, so if you are running it on batteries, then you may want to try using a compatible AC adapter to power the keyboard.  However, the manual for my keyboard says that there would be an error message if the batteries could not supply enough power for file-handling functions -- so, I would think that if you are not getting the error message, then you should be okay, but using a compatible AC adapter would still be something you might want to try.

If you have a flash drive plugged into your keyboard's USB slot and you're using a compatible AC adapter, and you still only get the Load STY function, then I'm not sure what could be wrong.  I would guess maybe one of the following:

1.  The flash drive is loose or not plugged in all the way
2.  The flash drive is defective
3.  The flash drive needs to be formatted (just remember that, if you format the flash drive, it will erase everything stored on it)
4.  A defect in the keyboard

If you get it all working, keep in mind that (if your keyboard works like mine), there is no function to save just the registrations to the flash drive.  You would use the Save USR function to save a User file, which includes all of your registrations, your multi-track recorded songs, and any styles you loaded into the keyboard's user style slots.  Accordingly, remember that if you do save such a User file on to a flash drive, then later load that User file back into the keyboard, you will lose any registrations, recorded songs, and styles that were already on the keyboard and they will be replaced by what you are loading from the flash drive.

Let us know of your progress and if you have any more questions.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 06:12:14 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

The following users thanked this post: tyros2009

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 05:38:02 AM »
Thanks for your very detailed explanations and suggestions.
I have Tyros3, PSR-S910, SX600 and have done a lot of USB saving/loading with thumb drives on these keyboards.
I happen to buy a second hand PSR E443 for pretty cheap (mainly for beginner students to practice on).
All that said, I tried a few USB thumb drives that I have at hand, reformat them (so they are blank).
No matter what I tried thru numerous times, include powering up the keyboard after the thumb drive is plugged in.
The keyboard still does not recognize the thumb drive.
My conclusion is the (device) USB port on this keyboard is defective.
I was just trying to save all my setups, so they won't accidentally get lost.
Other than this issue, the keyboard performs quite well and sounds pretty good.
For recording multiple songs (when teaching students), I simply use my portable recorder connected to the OUTPUT of this keyboard. And use a head phone plugged to my recorder to hear what I am playing and recording.
The onboard recording works but does not help as I cannot export it to the thumb drive.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »
Yeah, it seems like you've got the bases covered and that you know what you're doing.  These keyboards were introduced in 2014, so they are getting up there in years.  And of course, as it was purchased second hand, you may not know what kind of treatment it endured over the years.  The only other things I can think of are:

1.  Try a keyboard reset (which, of course, will erase everything you have stored on it)
2.  See if you can transfer the data to a computer using the USB-to-host port -- but of course, that's a lot more cumbersome than just using a flashdrive
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 10:37:54 PM »
"transfer the data to a computer using the USB-to-host port" , I understand that this only transfer MIDI data and not audio data like the E463 which is the newest model for E-series. I have not tried this.
So, it looks like I should be happy that it plays well, sounds pretty good for this low price and at least the REGISTRATION works. I just need to make sure these registered setups are not accidentally erased for some reasons.
Registered setups and pretty good sounds are strong points of this keyboard compared to olders one such as PSR-275 / 280 or YPT-300 which I have owned at one time.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 01:47:48 AM »
I always wait until AFTER I've turned on the keyboard and it's finished powering up before inserting a USB drive. I also unplug the USB drive BEFORE turning the keyboard back off. I know that some people think it should be the other way around-- insert and remove the USB drive while the keyboard is powered down-- but IIRC, the procedure given in the manual is as I've described-- insert and remove the USB drive while the keyboard is powered up.

The one thing you need to watch out for with this procedure is to always wait for the keyboard to finish writing to or reading from the USB drive before removing it.

Offline casiokid

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 08:55:04 AM »
Yes, either wait for the keyboard to fully power up before inserting a USB drive or insert it before switching on the keyboard.  That's the GOLDEN RULE.  -Never insert or remove a USB whilst powering up or shutting down
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:58:07 AM by casiokid »

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 05:42:44 AM »
I find out that my E443 keyboard simply does not recognize any USB drive (even freshly formatted on PC).
The USB drive is plugged in with keyboard power off. Power up the keyboard, once the keyboard is ready, the USB symbol on the screen flashes over and over non stop. This indicates it could not see the USB drive, (its USB port is damaged ???)
The same thumb drive works fine on a friend's E463.
I am wondering if a keyboard reset (if there is one) would fix the issue. If it does not, I will lose all my registrations for nothing.

Offline johan

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 07:17:58 AM »
Try first to use another usb stick. The e463 is more recent and possibly allows more kind of stick then the e443. Preferably a small stick like 8GB or so.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline SciNote

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 03:09:41 AM »
You know, I didn't even think about the size of the USB flash drive.  I do believe that with some older equipment, using flash drives that are too large can confuse the equipment.  I have been using an 8GB flash drive with my PSR-E433 for years with no problem.
Bob

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 03:19:19 PM »
I have a 2GB  SanDisk stick, this works well on a friend's E463, but not on my E443.
My last resort: check the USB port for bent pins and fix it. I have nothing to lose here.

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »
Hi tyros2009,

I recommend that you use the internal Test Program of the E443 to ensure that the USB sockets and the USB flash drive used are working properly.

For details you can contact me via PM (personal message).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:40:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)