Author Topic: Rhodes and/or keyboard sound for Keep Forgetting by Michael McDonald?  (Read 3051 times)

I found someone had made some Rhodes samples and was selling them for around 60 Euros. I also own a Nord Electro that has some nice Rhodes sounds. Any pointers on closely approximating Keep Forgetting by Michael McDonald?

Offline overover

Re: Rhodes and/or keyboard sound for Keep Forgetting by Michael McDonald?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
Hi SingerSongwriter,

I suspect Michael McDonald is playing a "Wurlitzer" electric piano (possibly an "A-200") on this song:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdyVvb_gAA

Peter Schips (CMS Sounddesign) offers a free Wurlitzer A-200 Pack (.ppf format) here:
>>> http://cms-sounddesign.de/page103_en.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:55:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 08:28:37 AM »
There are several different keyboards being played on this track. I didn’t hear anything extraordinary about the one being played by the vocalist. Seemed middle of the road electric piano to me. His sharp technique probably matters more to capturing the overall sound. The other keyboards being played on some of the riffs and fills had more distinctive sounds that could be harder to duplicate.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 08:46:24 AM »
Just a second thought here… I had never heard this track before but my reaction is this is a brilliant arrangement, played by top class backing band, and of course Michael Macdonald has a wonderful and unique voice. To me the exact sound of his piano is insignificant in the whole effect.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
Hi Mike,

Have you listened to the sound demo of the "Wurlitzer A-200" Pack on the CMS sound design page I linked? I think that sounds pretty similar to the beginning of the YT video I linked (0:28). :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:54:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:33:28 PM »
I do agree that Wurlizer A-200 sounds like it! I have seen other forums debating this and some said it was both Rhodes and Wurlitzer at different points. If you watch the live performance, McDonald is playing 2 stacked keyboards.

I guess I have to figure out how to install that voice...

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:22:23 PM »
I do agree that Wurlizer A-200 sounds like it! I have seen other forums debating this and some said it was both Rhodes and Wurlitzer at different points. If you watch the live performance, McDonald is playing 2 stacked keyboards.

I guess I have to figure out how to install that voice...

Hi SingerSongwriter,

Thanks for your feedback!

To install Expansion Packs (.ppf or .cpf  format) you first need to install the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) program on your computer. Export the Instrument Info file from the Genos to a USB stick, then connect the stick to the computer and import this file (.n27) into YEM (under "Install Target").

Then import one or more Packs into YEM, select the desired Pack(s), click on your Install Target and use "Save as Pack Install File" button to save your original Pack Installation file to the connected USB stick. Then connect the USB stick to the Genos and use "Pack Installation" function.

If you have any further questions, just get in touch here!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: SingerSongwriter