Author Topic: some "good" things about Genos  (Read 1882 times)

Offline tyros2009

some "good" things about Genos
« on: September 15, 2021, 06:55:40 PM »
I just post "some not too good" on Genos. Here are a few good ones compared to my previous T3.
1) 9 slider to control volume of each part during live play. Tyros has 8 sliders for the same purpose but the screen has to be in the proper "screen" to use them. The 9 sliders on Genos are always there to control volume no matter what.
2) the 6 assignable knobs are great to change things on the fly such as Reverb, Chorus, etc...  independent on what's on the screen.
3) 10 registration buttons instead of 8.
Of course, the voices on Genos are way superior Tyros3's voices. That is the main reason for me to upgrade to Genos.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Toril S

Re: some "good" things about Genos
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
Here are some more goods😀 Sleeker design, 76 keys instead of 61, much better speakers, a search feature that works great, more realistic drums, linux operating system with a great touch screen.   I Can go on and on!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
Yes, Genos have so many good things , a never ending list, to mention.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 03:26:53 AM »
One of the good thing I like (for live gigs) is the "tempo reset" button that force style playing to go back to beat 1.
This is useful to re-sync with singer who sings off beat !!! Also help to play a 2/4 or 3/4 bar within a 4/4 song.
KORG has this feature since their lowest end model PA-50. Yamaha only gets this on SX and Genos !!!
This feature is so easy to implement in firmware (my main career is on firmware design and development).
Why can't Yamaha retrofit this feature via firmware upgrade for older boards such as S-serie, Tyros-serie.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 09:23:22 PM »
One of the good thing I like (for live gigs) is the "tempo reset" button that force style playing to go back to beat 1.
This is useful to re-sync with singer who sings off beat !!! Also help to play a 2/4 or 3/4 bar within a 4/4 song.
KORG has this feature since their lowest end model PA-50. Yamaha only gets this on SX and Genos !!!
This feature is so easy to implement in firmware (my main career is on firmware design and development).
Why can't Yamaha retrofit this feature via firmware upgrade for older boards such as S-serie, Tyros-serie.
Because they'd never get it past the Marketing Gods. They decide everything.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »

For most questions in any field starting "Why cant ..." the answer is simply that they could if they wanted to, but they just don't want to ... either because they have a different point of view, or it's not worth the inconvenience compared to what they would get in return.
Genos

Offline maartenb

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 01:52:31 PM »

Theoretically they can. But the question is: Is it economically feasible for Yamaha to do so? The answer probably is no.

With the Tyros series Yamaha "only" fixed bugs and did new features in the new Tyros models. New models came out every three years (with some exceptions) and people bought these costly instruments. I did.

Now with Genos, the situation appears different. The number of players are shrinking and the economy is different. I haven't seen new high-end keyboard models from other vendors as well.

It seems Yamaha have chosen to give the Genos a longer life. By updating the firmware (v 2) even new features have been added. Also packs with new voices and styles have been provided for free. All in all, this makes the Genos an awesome deal.

Personally I love this strategy. The sound is still amazing (best in the market) and the fun of playing has not diminished one bit.

To be clear: I have no insider knowledge. I just interpret what I see happening. I might be completely wrong.

Maarten