Author Topic: Chord lopper question  (Read 1454 times)

Offline tyros2009

Chord lopper question
« on: September 22, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
I do a quick test on Genos chord looper by selecting a 3/4 style, enter chord recording, play a sequence of chords.
Then save this in slot#1 of the chord bank.
Playing back the chord looper, it plays as expected.
Now, I select a 4/4 style, play the same chord loop. Surprise, it still plays in 3/4, I expect it to play in 4/4 time.
Did I do something wrong ? or did I expect too much ???

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline vlbrgt

Re: Chord lopper question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:09:57 PM »
A chordlooper file is a sequence of chords that will be played at a specific time, defined when creating the chordloop.
What does this means :
You play a 3/4 style and record the chords.
Let say that each first beat of a measure you play a chord.
First chord will be at 0. The next chord will be 5760 ticks further in the sequence (5760 = 3 x 1920 PPQN).
The following chord will be again 5760 ticks further ....

Using this chordloop with a 4/4 style will not change the ticks between the chords.
This means that the first chord at 0 is correct but the next chord will fall on the 3th beat of the first 4/4 measure (5760).
But in a 4/4 style it should be at tick 7680 (4 x 1920 PPQN).

Each beat in a x/4 time signature counts 1920 ticks.
For a x/8 time signature each beat will be 960 ticks.

Solution 1 : re-record chordlooper for a 4/4 style
Solution 2 : try to create the chordloop on PC with MixMaster (Only cld)
See topic :
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52968.msg413104.html#msg413104

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 06:04:30 PM »
Waste of time
Take your time and learn to play both hands
It is easier than playing a piano, because you do not have to coordinate so much and later in life if you are a late starter, you have time on your hands or not ;D All depends on the Grim Reaper ::)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline BartW

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:12:04 PM »
Waste of time

Except when you need two hands to solo over chord changes (e.g. Jazz). I use the chord looper exactly for this function. Record the chord changes and this frees my left hand for soloing. It is a very valuable tool. Also, when using a synth solo, it is nice to have the chord changes done automatically by the band so you can use your left hand for the joystick.

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 01:10:16 AM »
Waste of time
It is easier than playing a piano, because you do not have to coordinate so much and later in life if you are a late starter, you have time on your hands or not ;D All depends on the Grim Reaper ::)

Perhaps that is just the way he WANTS to learn or do something. Not everyone does everything the same way everyone else does.
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 02:09:04 AM »
Perhaps that is just the way he WANTS to learn or do something. Not everyone does everything the same way everyone else does.

AGREED 100%.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:34:21 PM »
Tyros2009...way off topic here, but I love your cat pic! It looks like my daughter's recently deceased cat. Beautiful colors! His name was "Milo."
Sorry to digress from your question :o.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.