Author Topic: MIDI FILES  (Read 5971 times)

Offline dinapoli

MIDI FILES
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:24:25 PM »
Hello,
Does anyone know why my midi files play correctly in my Genos but the drums play with a different instrument in VANBASCO?

Offline overover

Re: MIDI FILES
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 03:55:33 PM »
Hi dinapoli,

Have you properly connected the Genos via (USB-)MIDI to the computer on which the vanBasco player is running?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »
Thank you Chris,
The Genos is not connected to the computer.
The files are on a portable drive and I play them with Vanbasco.  The files play well in yamaha keyboards.
I guess the question is more about the Vanbasco player.
The Vanbascol player is a very popular midi player, in the past many on this forum suggested it.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:17:11 PM »
Thank you Chris,
The Genos is not connected to the computer.
The files are on a portable drive and I play them with Vanbasco.  The files play well in yamaha keyboards.
I guess the question is more about the Vanbasco player.
The Vanbascol player is a very popular midi player, in the past many on this forum suggested it.

Hi dinaoli,

If you want the MIDI files played on the computer (e.g. in vanBasco) to sound exactly as they are played directly on the Genos, you have to connect the Genos to the computer via (USB-) MIDI (and of course in vanBasco as the MIDI output device choose). The simplest option here is the USB-MIDI connection (USB type AB cable from the USB-to-host socket of the Genos to the computer). In addition, the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver must be installed on the PC.

By default, a MIDI file played in vanBasco is played back via the "Microsoft GS Software Synth". However, this is not compatible with Yamaha XG and is generally only suitable for playing / previewing MIDI files for musicians to a very limited extent.

One way to get a reasonably acceptable playback sound for MIDI files without a keyboard connected to the PC is to install the "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" including one or more XG/GM/GS compatible .sf2 Soundfonts (all available free of charge):
>>> https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I currently have 11 different .sf2 Soundfonts installed in the Coolsoft Synth, between which I can switch as required. ALL these Soundfonts produce (in connection with e.g. vanBasco, MixMaster, Midifile Optimizer, PSRUTI or several DAWs) a much better "MIDI file sound" than the Microsoft software synth, but all 11 soundfonts mentioned sound DIFFERENT. There is no sound font that contains all the Voices of e.g. Genos or Tyros5. At the latest when S.Art or Mega voices or Revo Drums are used in MIDI files, it becomes critical. But also in all other cases the sound will differ more or less strongly from the sound generated by the keyboard's tone generation.

P.S.
I always use the vanBasco Player for live performances, but always with the Genos or Tyros5 connected to the PC (notebook/netbook) used via USB-MIDI.

To quickly listen to MIDI files at home, the sound via vanBasco plus a suitable Soundfont is sufficient, as described. In order to edit MIDI files, the keyboard must be connected to the PC in any case. (Unless you would adapt all your MIDI files to a certain Soundfont. Then these versions of the nasty but played on the Genos/Tyros would sound "different" again ... :) )

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:30:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 03:15:22 PM »
Thank you Chris,
I was not talking about to let the files sound the same as when played on the Genos.  I know it's impossible
I was trying to say the Vanbasco player plays some drums on channel 10 with a guitar sound even if it lists it as STANDARD.  Only some files the others are played correctly.
I also started using the Kanto player it plays the sound correctly.
Lately I started using some karaoke MP4.  Some songs sound just like the original without the vocalist!

I'll try a new sound font.

I never connected the Genos to a computer, I use a laptop to display lyrics and chords and music.

Thank you
Gino

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
Hello Chris,

I downloaded cool soft and selected it in Vanbasco, I selected GS, midimapper and different options.  It didn't work out for me.  I also loaded the file in PSRUTI player/editor same problem.

I tried to attach one of the files that doesn't play correctly, to this, but it will not allow me to attach it. It's a midi file.

I whish there was a way for me to post it for the members to see.

Note, I just play this file in Kanto player it plays correctly, I can definitely hear a drum.

Thank you
Gino

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »
Hi Gino,

Please try the following:

Load the relevant MIDI files, one by one, into PSRUTI (it is best to use the current version 8.21). Then click on the "Optimize XG" button and save the file with "Save as ..." under a new name. Normally the drums should then be played correctly in vanBasco. I also recommend setting the "Reset mode" to "GS" in the vanBasco settings. (See the attached picture.)

By the way: You could also "XG optimize" all files of a folder: Start PSRUTI, but don't load a MIDI file yet. Click "Optimize XG" button and select the desired folder.

Regarding Coolsoft VirtualMidiSynth:

You probably haven't loaded (and activated) a Soundfont yet. However, this is absolutely necessary for Coolsoft to work. I'll post detailed notes about this here later.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 06:33:24 PM »
Thank you
the on ly difference is you have a virtual synth #1  I have coolsoft midi mapper

Online Duurduur

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
I think you have downloaded and installed the wrong program. You should download this program: CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.11.2.exe
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 11:35:54 PM »
Thank you
the on ly difference is you have a virtual synth #1  I have coolsoft midi mapper

Hi Gino,

you definitely have to select "VirtualMIDISynth #1" in vanBasco as MIDI output device. The "MIDI Mapper" of VirtualMIDISynth is only there to set the standard MIDI output device under Windows (for MIDI programs that do not have their own setting options for the MIDI output device, such as Windows Media Player or Michael Bedesem's MidiPlayer).

Theoretically you could select "VirtualMIDISynth # 1" in the settings of the VirtualMIDISynth (at least in the upper dropdown box in the "MIDI Mapper" tab) and then select "MIDI Mapper" in vanBasco. However, it is much better to select "VirtualMIDISynth # 1" DIRECTLY in vanBasco (to avoid looping through the MIDI mapper).

In order to work with the VirtualMIDISynth, as already mentioned, you have to import at least one Soundfont (.sf2 format) and activate it for playback (green "LED" in front of the corresponding Soundfont entry). See the attached picture.

Here are some links to download free Soundfonts:

TyrolandSFXfix (unzipped 851 MB):
>>> http://soundfonts.kor.ninja/stgiga%20specials/TyrolandSFXfix.7z

Yamaha Genos XG_GM_GS 2019.sf2 (376 MB)
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/76drziwmweogkzx/Yamaha%20Genos%20XG_GM_GS%202019.sf2?dl=0

JJazzLab-SoundFont.sf2 (340 MB)
>>> https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/1036

MuseScore_General.sf2 (205 MB)
>>> https://download.musescore.com/soundfont/MuseScore_General/MuseScore_General.sf2

Timbres Of Heaven (XGM) 3.94.sf2 (unzipped 416 MB; self-extracting archive file!)
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lJvl9jO8e7YRmq2dZ59Dz_SdsQKQBgfC/view

Edit:
A new version (4.00) of the "Timbres Of Heaven (XGM)" soundfont is available here:

Timbres Of Heaven (XGM) 4.00 .sf2 (unzipped 419 MB; use >>> "7-Zip" to unzip the .7z archive)
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cwBWZIYYTxFwzcWFaoGA7Kjx5SEjVAa/view

Have fun!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:08:19 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: johan, balcino

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »
Thank you Chris,
Finally I got it! 
This bags the question:  Are Soft-synth that you pay for much better then the free one?

A long time ago I used Sonar do you know if those Synth work for this?

In this process I learned a few things.  I took a second look at Kanto player, not only it plays midi but it also plays mp3 and mp4 etc.  It will also display the chords of the midi file as it is playing, very useful for those who want to play along a midi file.

As time permits I'll work more on this, some midi files sound better than the same file in MP4.

Thank you again

Offline johan

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
This is really nice, Chris. I like Coolsoft VirtualMIDIsynth very much and I was using already the “Timbres of heaven” and “PSR S970 - D'ACADEMY VERSION”  soundfonts but I will add the other libraries from the list that you have provided. Many thanks!
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline johan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »
Chris, one more comment: I think that the "Yamaha Genos XG_GM_GS 2019" in your list is just an old version of the Timbres Of Heaven soundfont.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
Chris, one more comment: I think that the "Yamaha Genos XG_GM_GS 2019" in your list is just an old version of the Timbres Of Heaven soundfont.

Hi Johan,

Yes, you are right: The Soundfont "Yamaha Genos XG_GM_GS 2019" is obviously 100% identical to "Timbres Of Heaven GM_GS_XG_SFX V 3.4 Final.sf2". The two files have the same file size, and even when loaded into "Polyphone Soundfont Editor" I couldn't find any difference.

Thanks for your watching. I hadn't noticed that before ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 06:05:54 AM »
Hi all,

A new version (4.00) of the "Timbres Of Heaven (XGM)" soundfont is available here:

Timbres Of Heaven (XGM) 4.00 .sf2 (unzipped 419 MB; use >>> "7-Zip" to unzip the .7z archive)
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cwBWZIYYTxFwzcWFaoGA7Kjx5SEjVAa/view

Have fun!

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: johan