Author Topic: Psr-sx900 multi recorder weird behaviour  (Read 2780 times)

yul2000

Psr-sx900 multi recorder weird behaviour
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:36:35 AM »
Hello! I am trying to use the recorder but there are some weird things going on.

The main issue now is that it does not record the correct style element sometimes.

I then delete and execute, rerecord using a new element but its the previous one that is still there.

There are also a few glitches (example changing instruments after the fact) that need constant saving and exit etc.

Am I the only one? My OS is up to date afaik..

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:38:14 AM by yul2000 »

Offline mikf

Re: Psr-sx900 multi recorder weird behaviour
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
I think it's most likely that you are not going through the correct steps. Multi recording can be a bit tricky because you have to correctly select what voices you record, send them to the correct channels, save etc. It's easy to get it wrong and I suspect that is what is happening rather than a glitch.
Hard to be specific without knowing exactly what you are doing, but start out by going through each step carefully and I am almost certain you will  find you have missed something. We all do it.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »
With Multi Tracking it is usually best to select track one for your recording so you must also make sure that your recording channel is set to R1 You must do this each time you select a new channel to record on.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
There are a few video tutorials online. Try this one. It's for Genos but it works the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gOd4498dw
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
A common common mistake is to not properly select the channel you are recording to and the voice you record to it. And to remember to turn off everything you want to keep so it is not recorded over.
Typically as Eileen says the individual parts are recorded using R1 and recorded to any channel from 1-8. Except for style parts which are normally on 9-16. When recording the style parts this is a little tricky, because you normally record them all at once. I suspect that you are not doing that properly, especially when re-recording some of the style parts. You would need to turn off the channels you want to keep and turn on record on the channels you are changing.  Then save.
Maybe you are doing everything right, and there is a glitch, but I seriously doubt that because the multi track recording method has been unchanged for years, and I know from experience how easy it is to get it wrong. So I think that 'operator error' is more likely.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:17 PM »
Yul2000,

You'll find it much easier to get the results you want when you assume the problem is operator error, rather than a glitch in the keyboard.

Many people have got the multi recorder working. You can too. The easiest way to get to where you want to go is to concentrate on one problem at a time, post the steps you've gone through and where the results were different from what you want.

There are lots of people here who can help you out once you give them the information they need.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

yul2000

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:36 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

I have identified the issue and it's outside the recorder. The SFF settings were modified while recording a new pass. This modification isn't audible in the style creator. When I play it back in performance mode, it wasn't played properly.

This is corrected now. I wish it wouldn't alter the SFF settings when re-recording..this is really annoying.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:31:19 PM by yul2000 »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 10:42:52 PM »
Hi yul2000,

If you change a style in the Style Creator, you must finally save the style again (in the user drive or on the connected USB stick, preferably with a changed file name). Preset styles cannot be overwritten.

It is important that the CHANGED style, i.e. the NEW style file, is then LOADED if you want to play it normally or use it to make a recording.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

yul2000

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 11:18:58 PM »
Hello! Yes thanks.

I initialize styles and create entirely from scratch.

The SFF resets itself when re-recording and its truly annoying!

There might be a reason for it I don't get yet..

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 11:38:54 PM »
Hi yul2000,

If you exit the Style Creator or choose a different style without saving the changes made as a new style file, the changes will be lost. If you've saved properly, everything should be preserved.

I recommend that you go through the "Style Creator" chapter in the SX900 Reference Manual very carefully again. You may have overlooked an important point there. Here in the forum, as already mentioned, the members will only be able to help if you describe every single step up to the error in question very precisely.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 11:42:45 PM »
If you are creating a style from scratch you must use only the notes recommended and record it in the key  of C. If you don't do this it will not sound right on playback.

yul2000

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 11:52:34 PM »
Thanks all for your kind comments.

I creat styles from scratch as building blocks for original material.

I disable all SFF settings because my style variations should not be influenced by my playing (basically using it as a sequencer).

I am not a OMB or do any covers of any kind.

This is the only way I have found to be able to create anything on this board that makes sense.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 01:33:52 AM »
...I disable all SFF settings because my style variations should not be influenced by my playing (basically using it as a sequencer)...

...This is the only way I have found to be able to create anything on this board that makes sense.

You still haven't provided much information on what or how you are doing things. Style Creator is basically a specialized Loop Sequencer that produces looping MIDI files.  If you choose to use the keyboard in a way it was not designed for; don't blame the keyboard. Disabling the CASM settings will cause your new styles to play incorrectly. The CASM settings are instructions on how the style will play.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

yul2000

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:39 AM »
Hello,

I bought the SX900 for the sounds as I am a hobbyist composer.

The sequencer (midi recorder) is not useful to assemble entire songs (not enough features). Its only good for final performances.
So I need to rely on building and switching style variations to create a basic song structure with my own sounds.

I do not use "auto-accompaniment" and make my own user styles as backing tracks while I play the main panel.
The stock styles aren't of interest for me.

The only way I can create new music is with my own styles acting as basic song blocks that I decide on the order.
For example, I create style variations that I then record on the fly in the midi recorder at the same time playing the panel 

I don't use styles auto-accompaniment at all but like to have backing tracks while I play the main panel.
I using the variations (Intro/ABCD/breaks etc) that I switch back and forth to create a basic structure while I play the main panel.

The only way I can obtain a fixed variation that will not change regardles of what I play is by disabling SFF settings manually. (NTR, NTT, RTR). I will then layer up instruments once I have my basic song pattern completed.

I am not sure I will continue with this board. Some of the natural sounds are really good. Synths are OK but I can do much better with my PC. I was looking for someting to help me get away from my computer but it doesn't seem like the best way.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:17:59 AM by yul2000 »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 08:23:06 AM »
Hi yul2000  :

Very interesting to learn you are making your own styles in your pc.
Am I correct ?

Would you be so kind to tell me which pc programmes you are using to do the job ?

Many thanks for your reply.

Best wishes, JH

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:25:09 AM by Jeff Hollande »

yul2000

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »
Hello

No I am making the styles in the style creator directly.

The SFF settings are in there too  and they reset sometimes when I delete a variation recording.

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »
I am confused. This thread was about problems with multi track recording, now we are talking about the problem being in style creation??
Mike

yul2000

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
The original problem was observed when recording a midi performance where the style wasn't applying correctly

It was then determined the issue stemmed from the SFF settings in the style creator that get reset if you re-record a style performance.

The issue is now solved.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 06:08:38 PM »
An interesting approach in using the keyboard. But if that suits you, why not.

The only way I can obtain a fixed variation that will not change regardles of what I play is by disabling SFF settings manually. (NTR, NTT, RTR). I will then layer up instruments once I have my basic song pattern completed.

You cannot disable SFF settings in Style Creator. They are always active and have their own status.
When you delete an instrument, the SFF settings return to the default position.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler