Author Topic: Time Stretching the "Break" function  (Read 2385 times)

HarmonyCore41

Time Stretching the "Break" function
« on: September 12, 2021, 04:43:20 PM »
Hey Everyone,
Hope you're all safe!

As you all know, the break button in the style section lets you break the style rhythm and start a new bar. Depending on the style, the break may take a whole bar or half a bar. I've been trying to look for ways to stretch the break for two bars and repeat the melody while everything is silenced until the style rhythm pops up again. To be more specific, I am playing this song called "Sen Gelmez Oldun" by Alihan Samedov. If you take a listen to it, you will know what I mean by the longer break. Anyone has a solution for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfFRNEu5MM

Note: Skip to 1:03 if you wanna jump right to the rhythm of the song.

Offline mikf

Re: Time Stretching the "Break" function
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 05:28:44 PM »
How about creating a two bar blank intro in style creator in whatever style you are using. Then activate the required intro button instead of the break button … might work.
Mike

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
Thanks for your help Mike but unfortunately it didn't work as expected. It gave me this sudden silence without successfully linking the main rhythm to it. The beauty of the break button is that it's programmed to give you its own short rhythm for seconds before it goes silent. I tried to edit the break itself in the style creator but it didn't give me a way to extend it to two bars or maybe my skills is still basic in the style creator. But I will look again!

Offline RONBO

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
Hello,

When I need silence I hit the start sync button . Then I count the beats in the measures that are silent or perhaps play notes. When I want the style to continue I play the chord at just the right time and then the song resumes.

May take a bit of practice.

In this case the break button is not necessary.

Regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 06:55:31 PM »
Okay! I will try that too and see if I can get a nice result. Thanks a lot :)

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 07:04:41 PM »
Alright! I think I got something here.

I took Ron's advice and used the Start Sync button. I can say it works pretty well as a time stretcher in general but of course it doesn't work in linking the main rhythm before it stops. Instead, it stops everything suddenly. I got around this by still using the "Break" button followed by the Start Sync button immediately. Heck! It really needs tons of practice haha! but the thing is that less songs just require that long time in the break so I don't have to worry much. I think I will do this for 3 or 4 songs in my playlist.

So yeah! I think I got what I want.

Thanks everyone! Love you all and stay safe  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:10:57 PM by HarmonyCore41 »

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 07:12:22 PM »
…. I tried to edit the break itself in the style creator but it didn't give me a way to extend it to two bars or maybe my skills is still basic in the style creator. But I will look again!
Using what I suggested you could modify the intro to include rhythm beats like the break would. You would need to modify the intro not the break, because that allows multiple bars.
There might even be a way to do a cut and paste of the rhythm track from the break to the intro. You might need to make the intro 1 bar long first, to do the cut and paste then modify it to 2 bars with the second bar silent.
Mike

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
Aha! Sounds a bit of work Mike and I think it will be easier to spend some time with the style creator to get a push of a single button rather than two buttons. Nothing is free without some effort lol. I really wish Yamaha can add this functionality in the next firmware by simply holding on the "Break" button for as long as you like then release it when you need the rhythm playback again. I think it's a walk in the park for Yamaha to accomplish, really not that rocket science :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:05:06 PM by HarmonyCore41 »

Offline RONBO

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 09:33:05 PM »
Hello again,

You mentioned something about holding the break button .

You can hold the break button down through as many measures as you wish . then after that push the start sync and so on.......

Just to fuel the flames so to speak you can substitute the break button with whatever Main variation that you are using at the time. Just hold that one down for as long as you wish and move on from there. It works good too.

regards,

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 02:32:20 PM »
Some cool ideas here to experiment indeed. In the meantime, my keyboard isn't around as I am outside now. Will definitely test all these ideas and see which one I feel comfort with the most.

Thanks to all really! This forum has been so helpful to me :)

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
Ha probado configurar la sincronización a un toque de semicorchea? de esta forma cuando marque un acorde con la mano izquierda rápido y seco el ritmo se detiene.

Edit: English Translation by Roger Brenizer..."Have you tried setting the sync to a 16th note? this way when you strike a chord with your left hand fast and dry the rhythm stops."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:22:43 PM by Roger Brenizer »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »
Ha probado configurar la sincronización a un toque de semicorchea? de esta forma cuando marque un acorde con la mano izquierda rápido y seco el ritmo se detiene.

Fernando,

This is an English forum. Please use Google Translate, or something similar, to post in English. Otherwise your message is lost to the vast majority of users here.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 01:03:08 PM »
Maybe this video will help @HarmonyCore41 solve its problem.

https://youtu.be/4opmPtm8oF0
Watch my video channel

HarmonyCore41

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 01:36:37 AM »
Wow! Very cool video. The MixMaster tool is very handy and luckily Cubase is my DAW. Honestly, editing in DAW is much more practical than in the keyboard. Many thanks for sharing this video my friend  :D

Offline ckobu

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 06:59:52 AM »
Thank you.
Unfortunately, Cubase cannot be used this way. It is not possible to switch from MixMaster via the ToGo option to Cubase because it cannot open MIDI that way.
As DAW you can use Cakewalk or XGWorks but you can also directly enter the Tempo value in MixMaster. After that, go back to Style Creator in the keyboard and continue working.
Watch my video channel

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 04:56:17 AM »
To get the effect you want is simple to create with the keyboard itself and the Style Creator.

Find one of the 2 bar endings in an existing styles you have. Copy that ending into one of the Intro slots. When you select that intro it will automatically jump right back into the same Main you were just using.

I recently used these same effect when creating a custom song style for the Johnny Cash song " A Thing Called Love". But for this song's faded 2 bar break the drummer continues to play. So what I had to do was replace the RHY2 in the 2 bar break with the one from the MAIN.

Any way you can hear the break at about 0:57 in the song here at YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqrxnkcx_c

That 2 bar break is a handy one to make note of the style it is in. You'll use it often if you are getting into creating your own custom styles.

Regards
Drake

Offline ckobu

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
I agree with you Drake, sometimes it’s more convenient to use INTRO. First because it is easier to insert three or four bars. Second, because Break can be pressed just before the start so there is time left to change the chord in the left hand. In Fill in, it is sometimes not possible to press the chord at the very beginning of the beat unless the foot pedal is used.
At the very end of the video of my video is one such example.

https://youtu.be/4opmPtm8oF0?t=646
Watch my video channel