Author Topic: Search behavior very strange on - SX700 - GOOD NEWS today!  (Read 5235 times)

Offline EileenL

Re: Search behavior very strange on - SX700 - GOOD NEWS today!
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2024, 01:07:51 PM »
I always keep my style folders to well under 250 as I believe this is the suggested amount.

Offline Lefty

Re: Search behavior very strange on - SX700
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2024, 02:20:19 PM »

Goooooooooooooooooooooooood   Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeews:!!!

Hi Dom,

Excellent troubleshooting skills.  Having a viable workaround will be invaluable for those who have "bricked" search functions on their SX keyboards. Since this is a recurring theme on this board, How could this workaround be made to be easily found?

Hopefully, this information will get to Yamaha's programming team, where they will program a fix for this bug.  There are still quite a few outstanding bugs in the SX's Operating System.  I'd sure like to see an update fixing them.

Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Offline dlepera

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2024, 03:20:06 PM »
  Hello Eileen, this whole limit is something that has everyone's head spinning I am sure. Frankly if computers, tables, phones ,etc have no issues with file limits I really don't understand these higher end keyboards having limitations when Yamaha knows that the first thing that people will do is to populate our external storage devices.  I can understand limitations on putting folder and files in the USER area but external storage. I would think that the solutions for that if they really thought it out would have been to cap the size of the external storage.  Example my flag ship Double Din Kenwood car stereo unit years back would not accept anything greater than 4gb. Anything connected greater than that it would not recognize it.  Easily done. In fact Yamaha does do a control on the external storage device format as you. It only supports Fats32.

Also the evolution of the Style packages offered by the forum and Style folders I see here all have  nice naming structure, but the their size and the files in the folder may or may not adhere to the 250 files per folder. I have not opened each one to see. I assume coming from the forum I can just save them on to my USB and then plug into the keyboard. Hence why I have so many folder/files on it and the draw back to that is that over time I have redundancy and as we create registrations while in that state, it just add a monster layer of complexity if and when a clean up process needs to be done. I understand that now that I know how this Registration search logic kind of works and why I no longer touch folder names. That too is another to be another odd way of doing things, but then again the search engines in these things may not be  like our Mac and Windows. Re-driving a search takes lots of overhead/processing cycles and these things are not designed to provide immediate instantaneous response? Odd again because my cell phone has 1.25TB of data, 1TB micro USB and 256 internal and the search speed is phenomenal. If Samsung can do it why not Yamaha?

If Yamaha really had issues with size then there should be a great big Warning page in the first few pages of the manual like there is for all the regulatory stuff.  Let's face it, who reads the embedded stuff these days when the manuals are 1 mile long?
    Guess all this good added recommendations and rules of thumb comes from experience from people like yourself and many that we see on this forum.   

Craig as for your question and how to make this workaround easily found, I have no idea. I can only assume that the search title(s) in these posts could direct people to the problem and then the read does it.
  Maybe I can open a new post with a very explicit title for an easier search,  don't know?

Then there is google.  Interesting enough the link to the other similar issue from last year April from Jukkasthlm, I did not get that from searching the form posts. I got it by searching google for similar issues with Yamaha keyboards and it came up.  So this board seems to be structured to allow google to poke in and get forum info, don't know nor do I want to know how it works.  My forte is not server based.  I am a big iron Mainframe guy. Although today things with GUI interfaces are slowly changing.
  So will leave that one to the forum moderators.

Regards.        dom   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:54:57 PM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 05:10:09 PM »
To make things easy to find I first of all make a folder called styles and within that I make sub folders and name them to the type of style I am saving ie. Ballads, Country, Big Band, Waltz's Swing and Jazz and so on. As I come across new styles I know i will use I save then in the right folder. Makes life much easier. Since owning Yamaha keyboards I have always worked this way and never had a problem.

Offline overover

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 06:03:09 PM »
... Then there is google.  Interesting enough the link to the other similar issue from last year April from Jukkasthlm, I did not get that from searching the forum posts. I got it by searching google for similar issues with Yamaha keyboards and it came up.  So this board seems to be structured to allow google to poke in and get forum info, don't know nor do I want to know how it works.  My forte is not server based.  I am a big iron Mainframe guy. Although today things with GUI interfaces are slowly changing.
  So will leave that one to the forum moderators.

Regards.        dom   

Hi Dom,

To search the entire forum, it is important that you are on the forum homepage (https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php), i.e. not in a subforum/board.

If you can't find what you're looking for by typing in the simple search box, I recommend using "Advanced Search":
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced;search=

Sometimes an additional Google search can also make sense (because you can use your favorite >>> Search Operators). If you enter site:psrtutorial.com/forum in the Google search box, you will only get results from the forum. But with Google you will probably only get search results from forum areas that are accessible without a login.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:08:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline dlepera

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2024, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi Eileen.

I have seen your file structure and it is excellent. Hence the reason why I have never reorganized my USBs folders and sub folders.  Initially only did that with my Registration entries, learned a hard lesson from Chris saying NOT to move them around and have never done that again. I just create new Registration folders now and keep the entries to the limit.

My weakness is this and perhaps why others like me are hitting this search issue.
When I got my arranger, I purchased PSR Style #14.  Put the whole thing on on USB and created my registration folder(s) from everything there and also loaded the Yamaha free playlist as well. Then I ordered the  Style #17 and put on the exact same USB, later ordered Style #18 and added that and the Christmas stuff.  So you see my progression and how I am starting to hang myself?

I did this because I was not sure what all the new stuff would be on any of the packages I purchased and excited to see new I just starting creating new Registration with the new resources.  Now you can see what is happening here. USB getting big, redundancy is introduced, and starting to create a point of NO to very hard return. At this point my registrations can be pulling things from any folder on the USB and I am kind of compelled to keep everything in tack. Hence my 25,000+ entries on USB. Again remember I have not reorganized anything.  So if I tried to strip down my USB, then my Registrations could get all screwed up and I don't want this so I leave well enough alone. I know now that any new stuff will be segregated from this point on like I did with the MS-Disk stuff that was very nicely offered to us on this forum. The last Style package I purchased was Style #18 and loaded on my USB on January 17/24. No issues then until last week. Yes I did the limit messages and the "._" files popping up now and again. but accepted it as it only happened for some specific searches where these same name files were in multiple style packages but, the keyboard never had an issue with any searches. Our file structure mindset I guess is the same as what we see and do on our phones and laptops, etc.

I just employed that file structure understanding to this keyboard. The USB says Sandisk on it not Yamaha Keyboard(customer be aware), so it should behave like everything else I thought.  Well we now know we are dealing with a totally different logic beast here.

Chris, got your feedback on the search.  BTW I PMed you this morning with another question.

Status Update from Yamaha Canada.  They finally got my emails stating my disappointment with their support service and they have stated that they gathered all my details and have forwarded every thing to Yamaha Corporation of Japan and will keep me updated.

Lets see what happens next.

Many Thanks.              dom

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:57:47 PM by dlepera »

Offline Aquilauno

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2024, 04:32:45 PM »
Hi Dleplera,
First of all, a huge thank you, I reinstalled the 1.11 firmware on my SX900 and "magically" the search function started working perfectly again. I did a test looking for the word Sting and it found two pages of styles (exclusively those present in the USB). After three years, thank you again for your tenacity which allowed us to solve this problem. With such an easy solution that I had never thought to consider. With esteem and immense gratitude Pietro
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 04:33:50 PM by Aquilauno »

Online KurtAgain

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2024, 09:26:03 PM »
[...] the search speed is phenomenal. If Samsung can do it why not Yamaha?

Because Samsung has strong competition but Yamaha not so?  ::)

Offline dlepera

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2024, 09:48:39 PM »
Hello Pietro and Prego!

I am so glad that this workaround has restored some much needed functionality. I am just very surprised still at Yamaha, at least if a bug fix is not available or they do not want to provide a version upgrade, they could easily provide owners with a software workaround for some pit falls.  Firmware is a different beast and generally screwed when that happens.

I have at least provided both the USA and Canadian reps finally with this issue description detailed along with my work around.  Would be nice if they test things out, confirm my finding and maybe if they don't provide any further version upgrades, that they can at least make a recommendation to owners with this search issue(if they deem it viable).  Then again $$$$ may come into play so they may just keep it a secret.

PS.   I am asking anyone that is reading this post and may have a copy of any of the previous version updates before V1.11 to share it with me if possible.  The reason for me would be to drop it into my SX700 and do some playing around with the search function to see for my own curiosity if this issue existed then(I know how to trigger it so it would be easy to check) or if it was introduced with the new versions V1.11 where rather than fix bugs they introduce some. 

So enjoy your keyboard like you should have enjoyed 3 years ago.  Would be nice if there was a way as it was asked previously in this form to communicate to others that may be in the same state that you have been.

Best regards to all!

dom
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 09:53:15 PM by dlepera »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2024, 10:01:23 PM »
Because Samsung has strong competition but Yamaha not so?  ::)

Er, not quite.

Samsung makes world class smart phones that uses the latest tech, including memory formatting (I've moved some big files on and off of mine, so I believe it's NTFS, which allows for a maximum file size of 16 exabytes (16million TB) vs 4GB for FAT32 (what keyboards 2006 and later use); previously they were using FAT16, which unfortunately only allowed USB sticks up to 2GB in size to be used; which are now impossible to find.

Yamaha, as pjd has pointed out several times before, is trying to strike a balance between backwards compatibility and new features and products. So they (and all other keyboard manufactureres) seem to have settled on FAT32, which is likey one of the reasons why the G2 doesn't have any more storage space than the G1; the maximum file size in FAT32 being 4GB, means I'm already hitting the limit, even before hitting the 3GB expansion ram limit (I've had to trim out styles and registrations and simply copy them to user drive due to the size limits of FAT32)

I was really hoping they would jump to NTFS, which would have allowed for larger file sizes, but then nobody else has either (to my knowledge)

Although I should point out, once we get out of our pack rat phase (if ever), and begin to streamline the styles/registrations/multipads that was *actually* use, the search system should work. But yes, they should have assumed more.

Cell phones *need* to be fast, especially in file access, not least of which due to the large number of things we store there (photos, email, mp3s) but Yamaha designers (incorrectly) assumed most of us would have at most several thousand files. But *also*, Cell phone files are usually in the order of a few MB in size each, unless you install a game (often over 1GB each). So compounding the issue is the insane number of arranger files we can fit into a FAT32 USB (up to 2 TB) as most of those are around 50kb in size.

So for a standard 128GB cell phone, of which say 30GB is reserved for OS, let's say you have 2 or 3 games on there eating up 3GB (Instagram is almost 1 GB by itself!) and maybe apps totalling another 30GB

Meaning space for files on a cell phone, you'd have maybe 66 GB for user files, that's at *most* 16,000 files if you have no videos

I just looked at my cell phone, and there are just over 700 videos, and 10,000 photos, and 1125 mp3's. so just under 12,000 files for my phone to search

Take the same 128GB for your arranger, and yes, half of that will be eaten up by just a few files (like expansion packs, some of which are as large as 880mb!) but let's say you have roughly half of that left for styles, registrations, midi files, multipads, most of which are around 50kb, we could be searching among 1.3 million files.

That's over 100 times more files than your cell phone. Add that to the fact that the search speed on an arranger isn't as critical, and you have a good idea of the answer.

I just checked my own personal USB, of which I've only used 99GB, so not even full, and I only have 250,000 files on it, but that's still over 20 times more than my cell phone, and searches get exponentially slower with more search entries.

You bet your a** if Yamaha made a cell phone, the search would be *much* faster, and less hobbled.
Incidentally, I had the same search bug on our sx900, and on Genos (prior to OS 2.10? I forgot which update it was that it stopped overloading the searches). It has never shown up on Genos 2.

Mark

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2024, 10:14:25 PM »
I would think that the solutions for that if they really thought it out would have been to cap the size of the external storage.  Example my flag ship Double Din Kenwood car stereo unit years back would not accept anything greater than 4gb. Anything connected greater than that it would not recognize it.  Easily done. In fact Yamaha does do a control on the external storage device format as you. It only supports Fats32.

Well, yes:
mp3's on 4gb, at most that's ~1000 search entries for mp3's.

Fat 32 has a maximum 2TB; my own personal experience shows that if I filled a 2TB full of arranger files, it would probably contain in the order of 38 million files. (it doesn't scale directly from my 99gb because I wouldn't use 200 times the sample area, it's still the same expansion files regardless of how many styles and registrations I add)

My own stick only 30GB was small files like registrations, styles and midis, 62gb was expansion files. (the rest were Mp3's and wavs).

Even my PC struggles when I'm searching 10s of millions of files. And my cell phone search isn't that fast at 12 thousand files. We're asking an arranger to search many more times that; and if you use a cheaper USB stick (they all say USB3 compatible, but during a search it's the read speed that matters)

Mark

Online KurtAgain

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2024, 10:41:28 PM »
[...] searches get exponentially slower with more search entries.

Well, that depends on the search algorithm used and the ability and willingness of the programmer.  ;)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2024, 11:05:01 PM »
True.
*Brute force* searches, get exponentially slower, and I can't see anyone coding anything significantly more complex than a linear search for a keyboard, but hey, I haven't typed a single line of code in over 20 years, so I'm hardly up to date!

Offline dlepera

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2024, 12:22:00 AM »
Hi Mark,

After everything is all said and done, while speed is always key and on demand for anything, in our case I don't think anyone is really concerned about the speed of an arranger search. I have had to sit as long as 45 seconds for mine a few times before it returned a search result.  I knew my particular search would take some time because I connected a monster USB. However, because my search was for something that I knew would get searched and found, I was still happy. The bottom line is not speed but capability/functionality.

This under normal  conditions would not affect any performer or average player if they stick to bare minimum.

But as you stated

"Although I should point out, once we get out of our pack rat phase (if ever), and begin to streamline the styles/registrations/multipads that was *actually* use, the search system should work. But yes, they should have assumed more."

this I don't think will ever happen in our life time. Just the nature of the beast. So Yamaha has to  just realize this and maybe even step up to the plate and allow at least owner management of file manipulation and open the flood gate to the fact that searches are going to be huge so write software to make that happen. Your PC does not fail a search because your storage is too large does it. 

We talk about Samsung Cell phones. Yes they are fast, very fast, but in order to keep up with demands, and work with their competitors to ensure profitability is widely spread to everyone, they too are now being challenged I think. To make room for all these wonderful apps and blue tooth devices, new games, how to you see them keeping up with the speeds that we have been used to all these years?

Here is how this layman see it. Faster chips mean more $$$ to produce. Demand for new device technology connectivity has to be accommodated by the manufacture so to keep costs containable and still up profitability, the easiest way to do it as I see it, is to first make cell phones with anything over 128gb much more expensive to deter buyers and get them to just buy the 128gb cell phone.  Then remove the Micro USB capability which puts a burden on additional lag time for searches and navigation. Now move that to the cloud which has a multitude of benefits for other technology companies like Google Cloud, BOX, Samsung Cloud etc as well. They now make money off you, but the key item here I think, is that any slowdown for a file access accountability, will be transferred to the cloud service provider and not the Samsung's phone.  Yes they will also tell you that they needed more space for device antennas, better camera's etc.  No need to invest on faster chips now. Everyone gets a piece of the pie except for us. 

We can go on and on with this subject, but the technology strategy is not one we can change. Just like Beta, VHS, Super/8MM cassettes , Turn tables, CD, DVD, Blue Ray  . we are like fish on a hook and they know how to manipulate us. Way of life.

Your info is very good.   

Thanks.  dom
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:36:53 AM by dlepera »

Offline alka

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2024, 01:36:54 PM »
Hi, I went back Sx900 to 1.05 and update to 1.11 but the search function keeps finding old styles, voices, even from the old USB and expansion packs,   :( :( :(

Offline pjd

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2024, 05:58:33 PM »
Both the SX700 and SX900 use an eMMC device for internal data storage (MTFC4GACAJON-1M). The data clock is 48MHz and the bus operates in 4-bit mode (a 4-bit nibble every clock cycle). So, the maximum transfer rate is 24MBytes/sec. Writing is slower because flash has slower write time.

eMMC is used instead of USB because the CPU chip -- AM4376BZDN100 at 1GHz -- has built-in eMMC interfaces. This keeps cost low.

Possibly this could have an effect on search speed because that's a fairly narrow pipe in terms of bandwidth.

Not enough caffeine yet to think this through... pj

Offline dlepera

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2024, 06:05:45 PM »
Hi Alka.

The first thing to do is wipe all files from your USER storage area. Then do a factory reset to clear anything left in there like your Packs. Power up and verify storage using your utility function in the menu and ensure storage area is clean. Then load in your Version 1.11.  This will give you a clean starting point and then address the results. If you have that old version handy and care to share it with me, I would appreciate a copy of it so that I can play around.

PJ, your feedback is always appreciated. so hope that caffeine sets off all those sparks of great thoughts.

dom
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 07:14:08 PM by dlepera »

Offline dlepera

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2024, 01:34:53 AM »
Hi Pj.

Did some searching on eMMC device for internal data storage (MTFC4GACAJON-1M) and you got me worried now. Is this the same memory in the TYROS and Genos? Are we confirming built-in obsolescence with the SX700 and SX900 of maybe 3-5 years?

I found that life expectancy is between three and five years and then I saw this:

"The typical lifespan of eMMC NAND flash memory in terms of read/write cycles is between 3,000 and 10,000 cycles. However, this can vary depending on a number of factors, including: The type of eMMC NAND flash memory used. The temperature at which the eMMC is operated."

This means that each flash cell can be written to and erased 3,000 times before it starts to fail???

Can you please shed some light on this find. Is the USER memory part of this and if so is every search or indexing added to the cycle?   Tell me that I am in left field on this one please>>>>>

dom
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:51:00 AM by dlepera »

Offline pjd

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2024, 06:22:28 PM »
I found that life expectancy is between three and five years and then I saw this:

"The typical lifespan of eMMC NAND flash memory in terms of read/write cycles is between 3,000 and 10,000 cycles. However, this can vary depending on a number of factors, including: The type of eMMC NAND flash memory used. The temperature at which the eMMC is operated."

This means that each flash cell can be written to and erased 3,000 times before it starts to fail???

Hi Dom --

Yes, this is true. It is also a complicated subject about a known phenomenon.

Short answer: eMMC is used everywhere including cellphones, automobiles, etc. All NAND flash share this behavior. Developers know this and both hardware/software use techniques to prevent early cell (block) failure. This doesn't keep me awake at night.  :)

Long answer: That 3 to 5 year estimate is based upon assumptions about usage patterns, etc. Linux and other embedded OSes use wear-levelling algorithms and other techniques. At the hardware level, there are error correcting codes (ECC) and spares. If a defective block is identified, it is replaced by a spare. The 3,000 to 5,000 program/erase cycles are per-cell, but the problem is managed at the block level. Thanks to wear-levelling and replacement, the eMMC will slowly shrink in usable capacity. There are hardware registers that track use and degradation.

BTW, I've seen estimates as high as 10,000 p/e cycles. Again, it's all based on usage patterns (how often flash memory is written).

Note that the life issue is for program (write) / erase cycles, not reads. Yamaha should be (and probably are) building search results in SDRAM, everyday primary memory with no life-cycle issues. I expect Yamaha to write data to be be saved to eMMC once during power down. BTW, this is why a user should never remove power while the OS is saving data to eMMC flash memory!

One big take away for all users, your flash drive will fail someday, too. Always keep multiple copies of your data! Your time is too valuable to waste when flash drives are so cheap.

Hope this helps -- pj

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/nand-flash-data-retention/
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/08/16/wear-estimation-emmc-flash-memory/

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 06:27:03 PM by pjd »

Offline dlepera

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2024, 09:17:55 PM »
Hi PJ. 

Good to know.  So my question then is "how long do I keep my SX700 seeing that I purchased it in 2020. I have no idea when those writes are going to take place unless there is something specific that triggers the "write", also , how would I know when the OS is saving data so that I do not turn the keyboard off.  I have never seen a message indicating that.

After all this can i safely say that it does not pay to buy a used upgrade keyboard as I will not know what it's life expectancy will be.  I don't see it fair to sell mine to anyone and then that poor owner ends up with what I was trying to avoid by selling.

So two options I see, 1) run mine to the ground part it or throw it away, then buy new
                                    2) buy a new backup motherboard and keep until mine dies, then swap it. 

Does this make sense?

dom

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 09:35:58 PM by dlepera »

Online KurtAgain

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2024, 10:01:50 PM »
Dom, I think you're worrying unnecessarily. The important point is

If a defective block is identified, it is replaced by a spare. [...] Thanks to wear-levelling and replacement, the eMMC will slowly shrink in usable capacity.

And you probably won't even notice it.

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline pjd

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2024, 12:06:20 AM »
    So two options I see, 1) run mine to the ground part it or throw it away, then buy new
                                    2) buy a new backup motherboard and keep until mine dies, then swap it. 

Does this make sense?

Hi Dom --

I say, go out and have an espresso or two. Maybe a glass or two...  :)

I honestly don't worry about this stuff and I keep keyboards 10+ years. I drive old cars, too.  :)  Kurt made note of the most important point. The eMMC will not suddenly drop dead, but a bad block here or there will slowly decrease the pool of available blocks, that is, the available capacity will decrease somewhat.

C'est la vie. By the time anything is noticeable, you'll be sorry that you bought that spare motherboard. Save the money and splash out on a new ax someday like all the rest of us gear-obsessed Forum members.

As to powering off during a write, the internal Linux system will perform an orderly shutdown. Problems may occur when people rip the power cord out of the wall while the system is fully ON and active. The power switch is a command to enter the stand-by state. As to USB drives, one shouldn't remove them when a drive's busy light is flashing.

Frankly, I worry more about my heart... -- pj    ;)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:08:28 AM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2024, 02:25:08 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the re-assurance. I am not the worrying type, never have been, but I do like to plan to avoid inconveniences with the ability to obtain a deal when the time arises. I too have old cars and never have had to worry about their robust electronics for those that have them.  Just contemplating if I should replace my points and condenser with an electronic module or maybe avoid that possible headache? I also have lots of your favorite PJ, vacuum tubes for my town and country radios and treat them like gold. 

Anyway, I thank you and everyone contributing to this post for your support and information which I do value and it has also provided the temptation for me to explore these beasts so will now be looking around for a tear down SX700/900 if I find one cheap for education purposes.

Meanwhile I will be waiting to see if Yamaha will get back to me on my Search issue and pass that info on to you.

Best regards.

dom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:13:29 PM by dlepera »

The following users thanked this post: Aquilauno, Dupe