Author Topic: Undefined behaviour, normal or not?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline NAMA

Undefined behaviour, normal or not?
« on: September 10, 2021, 04:06:16 PM »
In noticed a strange behaviour of my CVP609. When I change main variation with OTS on and do not loose the right hand key a undefined voice sounds instead of the voice saved in OTS. The correct saved voice sounds after rehitting the right hand key. To avoid this I always have to loose right hand key before switching the variation. It also looks like it depends on the kind of saved voices in OTS. I hope I explained this clearly in my poor english.
I like to know whether this is normal or not and is there a way to avoid this?
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline mikf

Re: Undefined behaviour, normal or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
I just tried this on my 605 and you are correct. On some settings the voice changes cleanly and on others there is another voice appears if you hold the note until you press a note again, then it goes to the new correct OTS setting.   I never noticed before because it doesn't happen with every setting and I don't use OTS much anyway.
I tried to figure it out, and it seems to happen only when the OTS uses both R1 and R2 voices together and only if they are sustained or pad type voices. It's almost as if one of them changes and the other does not. But it immediately resolves when you freshly press the melody note. I don't know why, but it seems like a glitch. I wonder if it happens on all the Clavinovas, or maybe even all the arrangers, and just that no-one noticed before.
Mike

Offline NAMA

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
Thanks Mike, i am glad to hear that it is not only on my clavinova and I also wonder if this happens in other arrangers as well. I am surprised that nobody mentioned this glitch before on this forum. I use OTS often and I have to change my type of playing to avoid this loud sounding interference.
Any other suggestions?
Bert
Never too old to learn.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 08:37:36 PM »
Bert
I suppose you just have to remember to release the rh notes before or as you change the style variation. There has been discussion in the past about the way that voices change on Yamaha arrangers when selected during live playing, and this seems to be something similar.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 10:25:20 PM »
Make a habit of always lifting your rh fingers of the keys before pressing a new variation, OTS or registration button. The more DSP effects there are on the voices, the more likely it is that you will get an ugly sound if you press a key while changing variation. We just have to live with this.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 10:26:18 PM »
Thanks Mike, i am glad to hear that it is not only on my clavinova and I also wonder if this happens in other arrangers as well. I am surprised that nobody mentioned this glitch before on this forum. I use OTS often and I have to change my type of playing to avoid this loud sounding interference.
Any other suggestions?

This has been discussed many (many) times on this forum.

Your choices are:
1. Take your hands off the keyboard when changing voices.
2. Change from right hand voice number to a different voice number (eg, old voice was on R1, new voice is on R2). This allows R1 to complete itself.
3. Use the same insertion effect for both the old and new voices. The problem is caused by the insertion effect completing itself even after the voice changes. If the effect stays the same, there won't be the noticeable change in sound.
4. Don't use insertion effects. For example, use legacy voices.

It's the effects, not the voices, which cause the problem. Minimize the use of effects, and you'll minimize the problem.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline NAMA

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 07:11:10 PM »
Thanks all for your comments, I will follow your recommendations.
Bert
Never too old to learn.