Author Topic: new site with midi style yamaha  (Read 4043 times)

Paolo82

new site with midi style yamaha
« on: September 09, 2021, 03:38:58 PM »
new site with midi file and style for yamaha genos psr tyros

www.midiwelt.eu
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:40:12 PM by Paolo82 »

Offline overover

Re: new site with midi style yamaha
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 06:55:26 PM »
Hi all,

The Polish company "Camaro-Art" (www.camaro24.pl), which obviously also operates the relatively new portal "www.midiwelt.eu", works closely with Yamaha and is therefore also allowed to use Yamaha's internal style programming tool "Stylist" which unfortunately is only available to a few professional style programmers.
>>> https://youtu.be/0qpkrd3kqsI

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:09:19 PM »
Hi all,

The Polish company "Camaro-Art" (www.camaro24.pl), which obviously also operates the relatively new portal "www.midiwelt.eu", works closely with Yamaha and is therefore also allowed to use Yamaha's internal style programming tool "Stylist" which unfortunately is only available to a few professional style programmers.
>>> https://youtu.be/0qpkrd3kqsI

Best regards,
Chris
I think the Stylist tool should be available for sale to all. Think of the possibilities of creating or modifying styles in Cubase versus on the Genos!! Using the Genos for these purposes works but it's such a convoluted pain in the neck, especially for someone coming from a Cubase background >:(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »
I think the Stylist tool should be available for sale to all. Think of the possibilities of creating or modifying styles in Cubase versus on the Genos!! Using the Genos for these purposes works but it's such a convoluted pain in the neck, especially for someone coming from a Cubase background >:(.

Yes, that's my opinion too, Lee. Yamaha should offer these style programming tools "Stylist" (Cubase plugin) and "ExpansionStyleEditor" (stand-alone program) to all interested style programmers.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
Agreed, Chris. I think it would help with the sale of both the Genos and Cubase.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fraboni

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:21:54 PM »
I agree too.  A graphical style programming view as a stand alone tool and/or a plug-in with Cubase would certainly lock me in further with Yamaha Instruments and Steinberg Software. :)

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 12:40:11 AM »
I didn't even know such a program existed until this thread was posted! Shame on Yamaha for not making this amazing tool available. How long have so many members wanted such a tool to really exploit the potential of this beast. With all due respect to the living room players out there, the Genos has evolved way beyond that. A lot of us are using the Genos professionally. Give (sell) us the tool!!! It would have come in very handy during the 18 months and beyond of this stupid Covid nightmare. We're not gigging the way we could, so the time could have been spent expanding our horizons.

Okay, now I'm just rambling ;D.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:42:59 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »
new site with midi file and style for yamaha genos psr tyros

www.midiwelt.eu

Camaro24 in new clothes. 😊
They create good quality 'song styles', but it look like most of the stuff is to fit songs by local heros.

Btw, for those who like MidiSpot styles.
They now work to reproduce all styles (and compilations) to 'fit Genos'.
(Earlier, MidiSpot did also create a lot for Yamaha MusicSoft site, as well as for Roland.)
www.midispot.com
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline danand

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
Although a styles creator/ editor from Yamaha is always welcomed, until now I can do everything I want using the EXCELLENT Free software of Jørgen Sørensen.
http://www.jososoft.dk

I don't know what you want to accomplish and you need "Stylist" but I can do everything I want, using this Free application.

Can you please explain what can do "Stylist" do and the apps of Jørgen Sørensen can't ?
Can you please describe what you want to accomplish and it in not possible via Jørgen Sørensen apps?

I agree that creating/editing on-board has limitations, but with the apps of Jørgen SørensenI by-pass every limitation I had.

A big thanks once again to Jørgen (also member of the forum) for the great work!

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
I agree that Jørgen is nothing short of a genius and that his contribution to the arranger keyboards over the years has been stellar. It would still be nice to create styles using Cubase, especially if you already know the program. It still amazes me that Yamaha has not come up with a program that we can use for style creation outside the Genos. Any serious musician will tell you that creating songs or styles on the instrument itself is like watching a pig on stilts. It's cumbersome and takes 10 times longer to make changes and edits with the jog wheel or data entry keys. To me, it's like using an iPad for serious database processing versus a fully loaded PC with dual 24 inch monitors. It can be done but it's not feasible.

Montage and its predecessor, Motif came with free linked or stand-alone software. By not providing this sort of tool for the Genos, Yamaha is basically labelling Genos players as rank amateurs and Montage players as the real pro players. That last comment may be a bit of a stretch but the Genos is worthy of some extension software. In some ways it's superior to the Montage as a studio instrument.

Offline danand

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
It would still be nice to create styles using Cubase, especially if you already know the program.

I make my styles in Cubase and export them including the required markers as a simple MIDI file, import the MIDI file to some of the applications made by Jørgen and I have styles in a few seconds.
Why you say that you can't use Cubase (or any other DAW capable to export MIDI file with meta-data for the markers) in order to create styles?
This is not accurate....

Offline fine

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 02:54:25 PM »
I make my styles in Cubase and export them including the required markers as a simple MIDI file, import the MIDI file to some of the applications made by Jørgen and I have styles in a few seconds.
Why you say that you can't use Cubase (or any other DAW capable to export MIDI file with meta-data for the markers) in order to create styles?
This is not accurate....
Greetings, Danand.

Do you create your styles using SFF 2? I don't think that's possible to do that with the programs you're refering to. In this way you have lost half of the instruments abilities (The only program that provides SFF 2 is StyleMagic YA).

If your style needs a correction while playing, you are obligated to re-program the CASM all over again.

"Stylist" has the ability to play the style through the CUBASE program, and to schedule all the parameters of GASm so that the style comes out correct and free of malfunctions.

If you are indeed creating a style, your questions will be answered if you watch Camaro24's video carefully.

Cheers.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »
This is not accurate....
I never said you can't use Cubase to make styles. I was implying that a specific tool for making styles would be the way to go. Would you please tell me the exact name of the program that Jørgen designed that converts MIDI files to styles? I wasn't aware he had created one. That would be an excellent compromise to a dedicated program from Yamaha.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »
Hi

midi2style at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/midi2style/index.htm

Regards
Jørgen

PS: Thanks to the nice comments in this thread about my software...  ;)
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, davey, Roshure

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 08:15:33 PM »
Thank you, Jørgen. You deserve the nice words :).

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 08:32:51 PM »
I just downloaded and installed the program. I got an error, as seen in the pic. Does this mean I don't have Java installed on my PC?

I'm using a UR-44 sound interface. Thanks, Jorgen.

Edit
I just installed the latest Java version but am still getting an error. The program can't find the java.dll file in the registry.
Moderator - if you want me to start a separate thread, please advise, although this is very much related to the original topic. If so, please move these posts accordingly. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:38:11 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 02:58:51 AM »
Hi
Please read issue #4 at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/issues.htm
I guess this will solve the problem. Otherwise contact me directly. My mail address is in my site.
Regards Jørgen
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 03:26:41 AM by Jørgen »
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline danand

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »
Do you create your styles using SFF 2?

If you refer to SFF2 protocol (styles type) , no everything I create up today is for older keyboards and probably SFF1. But I already load the SFF1 styles to later generation arrangers (Genos, Tyros-5) which as far as I know using SSF2 protocol and everything sounds just fine, no malfunctions of any type! (apart of course volume levers... since every arranges and sound generator has different "initial" volume levels) 

In this way you have lost half of the instruments abilities

Can you please elaborate a little bit on "instruments abilities" ?
What do you mean exactly? What type of "instruments abilities" you referring?
Can you give us some examples of this "instruments abilities" ?

"Stylist" has the ability to play the style through the CUBASE program

Yes I know that, and I understand that this maybe is important for some style programmers, but to be honest it is not important for me.
I think there is a "style player" application (free as far as I remember,  I also download this from Jorgen's website). This way, although you can't play directly from your sequencer application, you can have a clear image on how the style you create will sound using various chords, before load the style to the arranger.
To be honest, I don't use this "style player". I prefer to export the style and load it to my arrangers and test it directly there. This is my workflow, I understand that my workflow doesn't fit the workflow of other creators but I'm very satisfy and productive this way, I don't need a "real-time" version from the sequencer application via "Stylist" or any other application

The main spirit of my answer is that YES we can do extremely advanced creation and editing TODAY with FREE applications!
Yes it will be fine to have more applications available and every creator select what fits his way of creation, BUT we can still today create complex and advanced styles with the excising applications.

So my bottom line is that instead of moaning about what we don't have, we can use what we have and explode EVERY available possibility!
I consider myself "advanced style creator" and still have the impression that I just scratch the surface of the abilities provided by the existing applications.
I know that I can do a lot more, but I just don't have the time or the need to go deeper...

In any case I really curious to know what do you mean with the expression "instruments abilities".
I will appreciate some examples.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 02:25:17 PM »
Hi
Please read issue #4 at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/issues.htm
I guess this will solve the problem. Otherwise contact me directly. My mail address is in my site.
Regards Jørgen
Thanks, Jørgen. I sent you an email. It didn't show up in my Sent box. I hope you get it because I haven't got a copy of it. I used the link in your site and it opened my Outlook email client. I don't know why it's not in my Sent box??
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 02:30:48 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline fine

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 04:56:27 PM »
The main spirit of my answer is that YES we can do extremely advanced creation and editing TODAY with FREE applications!
Yes it will be fine to have more applications available and every creator select what fits his way of creation, BUT we can still today create complex and advanced styles with the excising applications.

Hello, Danad

That is a very good paragraph, well done.

I prefer to export the style and load it to my arrangers and test it directly there. This is my workflow,

I am doing the exact same, however the mistakes, the shortcomings, or the exaggerations that the style has, I can't understand them while listening through Cubase. This, for me, is very time-consuming and overall, a hard process.

SFF 1
NTR FIXED TRANS
SFF 2
NTR FIXED TRANS "GUITAR" is very important for good guitars.

RANGE ZONES, this option may be the most important (it's not visible in the Style Creator) and seperates the keyboard into three independent parts where you can put whatever NTR.

Here's a sample from my own styles https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4FxBACLLFGhNxrHMyYTsmw

Thank you

John

Offline danand

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »
Yes "GUITAR" NTR is a great improvement, but according my opinion it is not a game changing improvement.
Yes you can get more realistic guitar parts on your style, but with the excising software we can also create quite satisfying guitar parts, it's not we can't create something and we need this new new feature in order to do it!

A game changing situation, according my opinion, is what we get for the firsts time, almost 20 years ago when the first software style creators/editors !
In this moment we step a giant leap forward, from the extremely limited creation and editing environment of the arranger to a whole new world!
We where for the first time capable to do almost everything we want, even extremely complex and advanced creation/editing, faster and with a GUI.
YES this moment was game changing!

Adding "GUITAR" NTR is not, according my opinion.

So no excuses... If you REALLY want to create/edit styles you have all the tools you need TODAY and for FREE!! Just begin your creation/editing process!!! Don't wait for the new "improved tool", you can do everything you want today. In the future, when new versions or new applications are available you can go one step further, but you can start today!

I also send you PM about "RANGE ZONES" spec.

Offline fine

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »
Hello Danad

According to what you said, you are right.
With these materials you can really make very good styles, however, the difference between a good style and a great style lies in the details, the ones that you consider insignificant.

These are the details that in some live, would make someone in the audience turn to you or the musician playing next to you to complement you to your rhythms.

A simple example is the movement of some ticks of the drums, or bass etc. You will never hear it, but it makes a difference.

Stylist provides nothing more than the programs I already use (CUBASE - STYLEMAGIC SFF2) to create styles, but it significantly reduces their build time, which is very important to me. (Unfortunately, due to the music I play, I have to do my styles from the beginning and I do not copy / paste)

In conclusion, you can not buy the most expensive arranger and not make the most of it and YAMAHA does not allow us.

Thank you

John
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 12:33:52 PM by fine »