Author Topic: Memory - Expansion Memory - Internal Memory Question  (Read 1125 times)

matrix1999

Memory - Expansion Memory - Internal Memory Question
« on: September 09, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »
I am reading as much as I can about the PSR SX900 and I am also comparing it to the Genos to make sure I am not mission something I may need or could use. 

My question is… What is the difference in the memory.  I have seen three types of memory listed.

Memory - nothing specified.  Genos is listed as 58gb and SX 900 is listed having 4gb

Expansion memory - this one is specified and obviously for expanding sounds and styles.  Genos has     
                               2gb and SX900 has 1gb
Internal memory - what is this and how does it compare to memory? Genos has 8gb and sx900 has     
                            4gb

It’s just a little confusing.  I know that we can save user styles and registrations on usb flash drives is memory that important if we have external memory.  (Outside of expansion memory of course) any info would be helpful!  Thanks!

Ps I got my info from epianos comparison video.

Offline EileenL

Re: Memory - Expansion Memory - Internal Memory Question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »
Genos now has 3Gb expansion memory since the update to version 2.
  The 58Gb as opposed to the 4Gb is the user memory. This is where you would save styles Registrations  Multi Pads User voices and Midi Files. On the SX900 you could not save WAV files because they require more space so these would be on a USB stick as would the additional Play List files.

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
Memory (“nothing specified”) and internal memory (= a kind of “flash” memory) both have the same function: for saving registrations, styles, midi files, recordings and eventually also Multi Pads User voices. All this can also be stored on a USB stick so the size of this memory is not that important. The 58GB on genos is because the genos also has a harddisk (on top of its internal memory)

Expansion memory: this is for adding voices (styles are not stored in expansion memory even if they are loaded via an expansion pack);  as Eileen mentions, genos now has 3GB (SX900 has 1GB). The size of this memory might be very important if you want to add a lot of extra voices by yourself. On genos and SX, it is not possible to further extend this memory (only possible on some Tyros models but these memory boards are quite expensive)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:29:54 PM by johan »
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

matrix1999

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:10:12 PM »
Thank you both so much for the information.  It sounds like it is what I thought.  User memory.  I can use flash drives that is not a problem if it saves me that much money to go with the SX900.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:21:14 AM »
Genos dose not have a Hard Drive any more. We now have 58Gb user drive instead.

Offline johan

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
Thanks for his clarification, Eileen. Some Tyros combine a harddisk with internal memory but indeed, in the genos this was replaced by one single user drive (using flash based memory storage).
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463