Author Topic: Subwoofer SONY for Tyros 5  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Dalo1970

Subwoofer SONY for Tyros 5
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »
Hi.
My T5 is connected to TRS-MS05
I have an active SONY SA-WS888 subwoofer
How can I connect it to T5
Well thank you.
Genos 1
Previously owned: PSR-S970, Tyros 4, Tyros 5-76, SX700

Online overover

Re: Subwoofer SONY for Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »
Hi Dalo1970,

The Sony subwoofer has a Cinch (RCA) mono input socket. I recommend connecting the device to the Line Out Main "L/L+R" jack of the Tyros5.

It is best to use a "6.3 mm mono jack plug (TS) > Cinch (RCA)" cable. Alternatively, you can also use a "6.3 mm jack plug (TS) > Cinch (RCA) socket" adapter plus a standard "Cinch to Cinch" cable.

or

+ 

Just like the TRS-MS05 speakers, the aforementioned Line Out Main output is controlled via the Master Volume dial of the Tyros5. So you only need to set the additional sub frequency volume appropriately once on the Sony subwoofer with the LEVEL control.

By the way: I would set the "MODE" switch (Movie/Music) to "MUSIC". Or you just try out which position you like better. :)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dalo1970

Offline Dalo1970

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply.

In connecting Line Out Main "L/L+R" I have connected TRS-MS05.
Genos 1

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 11:29:03 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply.

In connecting Line Out Main "L/L+R" I have connected TRS-MS05.

Hi Dalo1970,

sorry, I forgot that the Tyros5 TRS-MS05 speaker system uses the Line Out Main jacks. (All other Tyros models and Genos have a Mini DIN multi-pin socket to connect the Yamaha speakers.) ;)

On Tyros5 you could use the PHONES jack for the Sony subwoofer. In principle this would work with the same cables as I described before.

Note: From a technical point of view, it is not correct to connect a mono jack plug (TS) to the stereo PHONES jack, as this short-circuits the right output channel of the headphones amp. But nothing will break because the headphones outputs have protective resistors (68 ohms) built into them.

It would be ideal to use a TRS plug to connect the subwoofer to the PHONES jack, i.e. a "6.3 mm stereo jack plug (TRS) to 1 * Cinch (RCA) plug" cable. Alternatively, you can also use a stereo cable (TRS plug to 2 * Cinch plug), but only connect ONE of the two cinch plugs to the subwoofer. Since low-frequency instruments (e.g. electric bass or bass drum) are usually in the stereo center, i.e. are output on both stereo channels, it is generally sufficient to feed only ONE channel into the subwoofer.

Important: To ensure that the TRS-MS05 speaker system is not automatically switched off when the plug is inserted into the PHONES socket, you must ensure that the parameter "Function > Utility > Config2 > 1 Line Out Main" is set to "ON" (i.e. NOT to "Headphone Switch").

P.S.
Using one of the AUX OUT jacks for the subwoofer would not be ideal, as they have a fixed volume, so you always have to adjust the subwoofer volume with the level control when you adjust the master volume.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Dalo1970

Offline Dalo1970

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:21:07 AM »
Through the output "phones" it works well. But I had to do it according to the involvement in the picture.
Thank you very much again.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Genos 1

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »
Through the output "phones" it works well. But I had to do it according to the involvement in the picture.
Thank you very much again.

Thanks for your feedback, Dalo1970! I am pleased that it now works with the connection of the additional subwoofer.

The circuit you are using with the two 4.7 kOhms decoupling resistors is, so to speak, the "elegant" option and of course it also works. This way you definitely have no problem with overdriving the subwoofer input, and the impedance matching of the (low-impedance) headphone output to the (high-impedance) subwoofer input is also better. :)

Best regards,
Chris