Author Topic: Registration Memory - Some limitations?  (Read 2594 times)

Offline casper

Registration Memory - Some limitations?
« on: September 07, 2021, 05:47:08 AM »
I discovered the following two separate incidents when I used the Registration Memory of my SX900:

1. It is unable to save the on/off status of the "OTS Link" and "Auto Fill In" buttons (both next to the
"ACMP" button on the panel).  (Page 86 of the Yamaha PSR SX900/700 Data List indicates that the "Auto Fill In" button status cannot be set in the Registration Memory. It makes no mention of the "OTS Link".)

2. If I save the "on" status of one of the Multi Pad buttons in a Registration Memory (e.g. Memory 1), and when I play that Memory in Style mode, the Multi Pad is activated. But as I play and select another Memory (e.g. Memory 2) in which I have set the Multi Pad's status to "off", the Multi Pad keeps on playing, i.e. it does not turn off. Likewise, if I set this Multi Pad to stop and another Multi Pad to start in Memory 2, both Multi Pads will be on when I'm playing in Memory 2.

Any members here who have experienced these incidents and have found solutions, I would appreciate it if you could share them.  Thank you.

Regards
casper
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Registration Memory - Some limitations?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:05:21 AM »
I'm not sure if I can say anything about the first issue. Like Mic On and Off can't be set on Reg.

But there have been Hacks for the Multi Pad. Just Seach on the Forum. I think it's what's your looking for.
It's been discussed a number of times.

Norman.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:41:41 AM »
Casper,

1. Correct. That’s because people user either OTS, or registrations, but not both.

2. You can’t set a pad to "off" in a registration. You can untick the box during memorization, but that doesn’t turn it off. The solution you’re looking for is Padstopper. Just search the forum. It’s been posted several times.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
I had the same question rised in the first point. Based on Freds feedback, I can understand now that OTS link is not saved in registrations. However I regret that yamaha did not foresee this as a setting in the keyboard parameters or at least remember the last setting when you restart the keyboard.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
Johan
The reason Yamaha do it this way is likely because although you might like it just as many - or maybe more- users would not want these settings stored. Because if you don’t notice OTS is on you might get unexpected voice changes when changing the style variation.
Mike
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:04:31 PM by mikf »

Offline casper

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »
Casper,

1. Correct. That’s because people user either OTS, or registrations, but not both.

2. You can’t set a pad to "off" in a registration. You can untick the box during memorization, but that doesn’t turn it off. The solution you’re looking for is Padstopper. Just search the forum. It’s been posted several times.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, in relation to point no. 2, there have been many discussions on this and you have been most helpful in many of them. I tried accessing the links you provided for the Padstopper in several of those posts, particularly the latest one in March this year, but I was always redirected to the OneDrive page with the message "This item might not exist or is no longer available".  Are you aware of this?

May I also know whether it is possible to change the voice of a multi-pad? The multi pad edit feature in the keyboard only covers basic things like delete, copy, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Regards
casper

Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
... May I also know whether it is possible to change the voice of a multi-pad? The multi pad edit feature in the keyboard only covers basic things like delete, copy, etc. ...

Hi Casper,

you can change the voice of a MIDI Multi Pad in the Multi Pad Creator StepEdit list:
[MENU] > [M.Pad Creator] > [MIDI Multi Pad Recording] > StepEdit
(See also the chapter "3 Multi Pads" in the SX900 Reference Manual, from page 52.)

Alternatively you can use a PC program like MixMaster or one of the Pad Maker programs for editing Multi Pads:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline casper

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 01:09:20 PM »
Thank you, Chris. I'll give it a try.

I truly appreciate that the members of this forum are so responsive, ever ready to help.

Regards
casper
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
Thanks for your kind feedback, Casper!

By the way, I forgot to mention before that for changing the voice in the Multi Pad Creator you have to edit the three parameters Bank Select MSB (= Ctrl 0), Bank Select LSB (= Ctrl 32) and Program Change (Prg) at the beginning of the event list.

If the voice numbers (#MSB-LSB-PRG) are not shown in the Voice Selection display, touch the Menu symbol and activate this feature. (Or use the Voice List in the SX900 Data List to find out the voice numbers.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:17:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline casper

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 06:18:06 PM »
Thanks, Chris, for the additional info.

Regards
casper
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline chax

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
Chris,
What you say is right but I generally just press the selected Panel voice button in Multipad creator- step edit mode when the high lighter is in the beginning or any where. All the three ie MSB, LSB, Prg No of the New voice gets additionally automatically typed on the  page  .Then you can erase the previous ones. In this way there is no need to refer to any manual and type out the MSB,LSB and Prg Nos.
Hope this additionally helps.
Chax

The following users thanked this post: casper

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: balcino, casper

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 12:08:57 AM »
Chris,
What you say is right but I generally just press the selected Panel voice button in Multipad creator- step edit mode when the high lighter is in the beginning or any where. All the three ie MSB, LSB, Prg No of the New voice gets additionally automatically typed on the  page  .Then you can erase the previous ones. In this way there is no need to refer to any manual and type out the MSB,LSB and Prg Nos.
Hope this additionally helps.
Chax

Yes, that's also possible. This is the way that Eileen had mentioned several times here.

Thanks for this additional information, Chax!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline casper

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer