Author Topic: Style Editing - Customising a style by making changes to its elements  (Read 1391 times)

Offline casper

Our Yamaha arrangers come with great styles but there are times when we need to modify them to our liking. For members who are new to this, I am pleased to recommend Casper tutorSynth's informative YouTube videos that provide guides on how to do this and also optimise the use of the keyboards' other features. He is also one of the forum members here by the way.

I was editing a preset style and I found his "Style editing - global and partial setting for each Section" video really helpful.  I tried for hours to change the voice of a style channel (Phrase 2) of only one of the sections (Main D) by first going into the Mixer page before the Style Creator page, but on saving, the change was also applied to all the other sections. I was so frustrated until I learnt from the video that I needed to begin by accessing the Style Creator page first before opening the Mixer to make the change before saving. The Yamaha Reference Manual does not talk about this at all.

For members who are interested in doing something similar, here's the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/gJi_rqs-Mv8

Regards
casper
Khaw Hock Lye
PSR SX900
PSR Tutorial Performer

Offline p$manK32

Re: Style Editing - Customising a style by making changes to its elements
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 09:44:43 PM »
Casper,

This is an old post of yours from 2021. I would like some troubleshooting help on this particular topic, as I am now beginning to focus on making basic changes within SX900’s StyleCreator, such as adjusting Mixer volumes for Style parts.

I did test Styles following the two procedural techniques described in your YTube video:

1. The first technique (adjusting volumes globally so they are the same across all Style parts) in the Mixer first BEFORE going to StyleCreator to Save it worked well.

2. The second technique, going to StyleCreator FiRST to modify only specific parts isn’t saving my new mixer volume changes.

UPDATE: After further experimentation (I am new at this), the second procedure above is working. However I noticed the procedure didn’t save the Mixer changes for a select few “Frankenstein” styles that I had stored in User memory. I’ll explore further as to why this is.

Rich
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 07:42:59 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+