Author Topic: Guitar voice for Black Magic Woman  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Donna P

Guitar voice for Black Magic Woman
« on: September 06, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Hi.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good guitar voice to use on Santana's Black Magic Woman?
Thanks!
Donna

Offline overover

Re: Guitar voice for Black Magic Woman
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Hi Donna,

please call up the Genos Preset Style "RockCha-cha" (Latin category) and press OTS #4 button. Maybe the R1 voice "60sGuitarHero" is what you are looking for. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Donna P

Offline Donna P

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 01:51:41 AM »
Thanks Chris.

Offline JanCK

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
“Rock Hero” is the guitar voice I also use for the Santana sound.   It can easily be found in the preset voices:  Electric Guitars, page 4.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 12:48:07 AM »
“Rock Hero” is the guitar voice I also use for the Santana sound.   It can easily be found in the preset voices:  Electric Guitars, page 4.

Hi JanCK,

OTS voices often sound different (in many cases better) than the corresponding Preset voices (because other Mixer/Voice Set/Effect settings are often used in the OTS).

Therefore, I recommended calling up the voice mentioned first via OTS4 of the "RockCha-cha" style. (I have not yet tested on the Genos whether there is a difference in sound between the OTS voice and the corresponding Preset voice in this case.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »

Dont forget a good rock organ as well :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »

Dont forget a good rock organ as well :)

This is what I'm missing in our Genos: a good B3 emulation! The YC-series engine should be implemented to the next generation.
Cheers, Joe

Genos | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Korg PA4X | Mainstage

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
This is what I'm missing in our Genos: a good B3 emulation! The YC-series engine should be implemented to the next generation.
Agreed. Although, I think the actual organ samples are pretty good. It's the rotary sound that needs work. I've heard of members who added a Lester G pedal to the Genos to replace the onboard rotary effects.

Another thing I hate is when all keyboard makers put distortion on ALL organ voices as the default effect. When you want a pure Hammond + Leslie effect, you have to go in and turn that distortion junk off. I started off playing organ back in 1959. There was no distortion back then. With the Lester G pedal you have excellent control. The signal routing is a little tricky. I have never used one but I am tempted.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.