Author Topic: Buzz in speakers and headphones  (Read 1215 times)

Offline jcm2016

Buzz in speakers and headphones
« on: September 05, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »
For the first time, there's a buzz coming out of both the speakers and through headphones.  I haven't changed anything. It is plugged into the same socket and all the same things are also plugged in from there.  There's a power strip surge protector that the keyboard is plugged into.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Offline overover

Re: Buzz in speakers and headphones
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »
Hi jcm2016,

I guess there is an internal digital override (digital clipping).

Please open the Master Compressor display and make sure that the output display does not go into the red area while playing. You may have to turn the output control (in the compressor display) back a little so that the output level is again in the green (maximum yellow) area.

By the way, "GR" means "Gain Reduction" here and shows by how much the sum signal is currently being reduced by the compressor, i.e. made quieter. However, as I said, the "Output" display must never go into the red area.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 10:01:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Woudi

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:34 PM »
Thank you, I tried that.   As I lowered the output the buzz did go down, but so did the volume.   I tried taking it far down and raising the master volume, but then the buzz was back.   So ultimately, no luck.   Any other ideas on what I can try?   Again, much appreciated

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 10:10:27 PM »
Have you checked that all cables are connected properly and all plugs are all the way in? Have you maybe connected something electrical in the room that was not there before?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 11:05:44 PM »
Hi jcm2016,

I initially assumed the problem was signal distortion. Obviously, in the present case it is "only" about a buzz/hum that can be heard in addition to the (otherwise clean) signal. Presumably it is a so-called "mains hum", which can occur for various reasons.

To test, please ensure that no other cables except the external power adapter are connected to the SX900. For example, a so-called "hum loop" could occur through a USB cable that is used to connect the keyboard to a computer.

Also make sure that the external power adapter is not on the keyboard or very close to the keyboard. Under no circumstances should the power adapter be near cables that are connected to the keyboard.

Try turning the plug of the power adapter in the wall socket by 180 degrees. Sometimes this helps in such cases.

Try different sockets in the house (using a mains extension cord if necessary).

Under certain circumstances the power adapter could be defective (so that the 50/60Hz mains hum comes into the 16V DC output voltage).

If you have already tried everything mentioned here, I recommend giving the keyboard a try at a friend's house or at your music store. If this doesn't work either, you could try using a different power adapter (e.g. on loan from your music store) to make sure that this is not the problem.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:25:26 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 12:02:01 AM »
Thanks very much for all of this.  As mysteriously as it arrived, it has gone.  Which makes me think there was something else plugged in somewhere in the house - I just can't think of what it is, as there's nothing new since yesterday.   Regardless, thanks again and if it comes back, I'll try the things listed.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 01:25:38 AM »
Not at all unusual. Usually, the culprit is an ungrounded cable, or one that is not inserted all the way into the socket. Some computers, especially laptops, have a floating ground system, which when connected via the USB connection to the keyboard, produces a 60hz hum. This can be overcome by purchasing an inexpensive ground default adapter at the local hardware store.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 07:45:30 AM »
Thanks again.  I'm in the UK so the plugs are different.  Does anyone know what a similar device looks like in the UK?