Author Topic: turn off speakers in 910  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Shadow

turn off speakers in 910
« on: September 05, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
How do I turn off speakers in a 910 and use in house sound board?
Thanks Shadow

Offline RONBO

Re: turn off speakers in 910
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 02:30:21 PM »
You might try plugging the house speaker system into the ear phone jack on the 910.

That automatically shuts the internal speakers by default

Regards.

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 07:20:51 PM »
Hi Shadow,

With the S910, the internal speakers can only be muted by connecting headphones to the PHONES socket or alternatively by plugging in a 6.3 mm TRS plug/adapter (see pictures). Switching off the internal speakers via the Utility menu (as with newer/larger models) is not possible with the S910.

P.S.
Connecting an external amplifier system to the PHONES socket using a suitable cable (e.g. stereo TRS plug > 2 * mono TS plug) is possible, but not ideal. I recommend using the Line Output sockets L/L+R and R (and, if needed, muting the internal speakers as described).

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:05:35 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:08:09 AM »
I do not recommend using any plug that sticks out beyond the keyboard case - too easy to accidentally hit it and break the tiny board inside the keyboard. Instead, purchase an inexpensive 1/4-inch guitar cable, then using a hacksaw remove the entire back end of the plug, leaving just the forward end of the plug and a small lip to grasp in order to remove it when necessary. No chance of any accidental encounter while playing. I filled the inner contact areas with hit melt glue to hold everything together and provide good insulation between the tip and shield contacts.

https://app.box.com/s/egtgmx7p9rk9dhr3sgwldb3knzpoo6kt

https://app.box.com/s/1asudln0d9kcmk3xek0s2ip77raa47hk

I do not recommend playing and having the onboard speakers turned on while performing. This is because you PA system may not be functioning, but you would be unaware of it because you are predominately hearing the onboard sound system. I only had this happen once. Some one had come up to request a song, and inadvertently stepped on the power cable to my Bose L1 Compact and pulled it out of the wall outlet. I could not understand why people kept motioning me to turn the volume up - they were only hearing the onboard keyboard speakers - not my Bose L1 Compact. It was quite embarrassing, to say the least.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:12:39 AM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 07:18:09 AM »
@travlin-easy
Hi Gary,

Your idea of cutting off a jack plug so that it protrudes as little as possible over the keyboard case when plugged in is basically a good one. BUT: You should definitely use a STEREO jack plug (TRS), because if a MONO jack plug (TS) is plugged into the PHONES socket, one channel of the headphone output is permanently short-circuited. This creates the risk of damaging the headphone amp.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 05:06:54 PM »
If you look at the schematic, you will see that it is activated by a leaf switch on the jack, which is opened automatically regardless of the plug that is inserted. Stereo or mono jacks open the leaf switch when inserted.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 08:02:32 PM »
Gary,

I still use the modified jack you sent me 15 yrs ago, a belated thanks again.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
If you look at the schematic, you will see that it is activated by a leaf switch on the jack, which is opened automatically regardless of the plug that is inserted. Stereo or mono jacks open the leaf switch when inserted. ...

Yes, of course that's true, Gary. The internal speakers of the S910 are muted, regardless of whether a stereo (TRS) or mono (TS) plug is plugged into the Phones jack.

However, my previous note relates to something else: When you plug a mono (TS) plug into the stereo headphone jack, the right channel of the headphone output (which is at the RING contact of the TRS jack) is short-circuited to ground via the sleeve contact of the mono (TS) plug. And this means there is a risk of damaging the output stage of the headphone amp.

Therefore, as I said, I recommend using a stereo (TRS) plug (the three contacts of which are isolated from each other) or a TRS headphone adapter plug, as shown in the picture above.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:41:40 PM by overover »

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 02:09:43 AM »
There are two current limiting resistors in each leg of the L/R headphone feed. These pass adequate signal for the headphones and provide protection for short circuits at the jack. Most gear I've ever worked on utilizes resistors like this for protection of the headphone output stage.

I use an 1/8" to 1/4" TRS adapter that doesn't stick out much and comes with most good headphones. Occasionally forget it's there and wonder why I don't get sound from the onboard speakers  :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 02:43:42 AM »
I've never had that problem, Chris, in more than 30 years of performing daily and a dozen arranger keyboards, Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc... And, as Bernie noted above, he still is using the one I made for him 15 years ago. I don't believe this is a problem, Chris.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...