Author Topic: YEM and cpf and about SX900 upgrade  (Read 1440 times)

Live Musician Newbie

YEM and cpf and about SX900 upgrade
« on: September 03, 2021, 05:33:56 AM »
So my s975 found a new loving home.

🙏🏻🙏🏻Thanks to this wonderful forum, I am hoping to upgrade to SX900 (Of course with an eye on the awesome Portamento detail features on YEM 2.8.1)

I am doing my research before taking the plunge. I opened some packs I downloaded from Yamaha website (*.cpf) and see that I am unable to edit the voices under these packs. Shows a lock symbol.

Has someone found a way on how to edit voices in these packs? (Tried extracting the file using a zip utility)

Regarding SX900
Talked with a top person in the country, who does demo of Yamaha PSR keyboard and he too said there would be no more Firmware for SX900 and sadly hasn't heard on an updated keyboard for PSR SX900 in the near future.

Can anyone throw some light?
(I love the Yamaha ecosystem and am willing to wait for either a firmware upgrade to SX900 that would show these additional portamento options. Or, the next keyboard that would already have these options)

Once again want to share my appreciation for all those who responded.

Offline Teknoss

Re: YEM and cpf and about SX900 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »
That lock symbol means something.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »
... I am hoping to upgrade to SX900 (Of course with an eye on the awesome Portamento detail features on YEM 2.8.1)

I am doing my research before taking the plunge. I opened some packs I downloaded from Yamaha website (*.cpf) and see that I am unable to edit the voices under these packs. Shows a lock symbol.

Has someone found a way on how to edit voices in these packs? (Tried extracting the file using a zip utility)

Hi Live Musician Newbie,

The current free Yamaha Packs in .cpf format can only be imported into the YEM and from there installed on the model for which they were originally created. (Third-party .cpf files can even only be used on a specific instrument.)

Voices in .cpf Packs are locked in YEM and cannot be edited there. The content of a .cpf Pack is encrypted, except the first 32 hexadecimal bytes which contain something like:

XPFH....ENCI....
CSEC...PZQ|@_D|.

After the Pack is installed on the instrument, you can of course edit the Voices THERE (e.g. Mixer/Effects/Voice Set) and save the edited Voice as a User Voice or in a Registration.

Voices from unprotected (.ppf) Packs, imported soundfonts (.sf2) or voices created with your own samples in YEM can be edited in YEM, of course.

Note that only with the Genos and Tyros5 is it possible to edit the instrument's internal Preset Voices in the YEM. Unfortunately, this is not possible with PSR-S, SX and PSR-A models.

Also note that all 25 new PSR-A5000 Oriental Packs ("Arabic Pop" - "Turkish") are in .ppf format. This means that these Packs can basically be used with all YEM-compatible models, and the Voices in these Packs can be edited in YEM.
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Best regards
Chris
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:56:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
Regarding SX900
Talked with a top person in the country, who does demo of Yamaha PSR keyboard and he too said there would be no more Firmware for SX900 and sadly hasn't heard on an updated keyboard for PSR SX900 in the near future.

Can anyone throw some light?
(I love the Yamaha ecosystem and am willing to wait for either a firmware upgrade to SX900 that would show these additional portamento options. Or, the next keyboard that would already have these options)

IMHO there is nobody who can answer your above mentioned questions ( except Yamaha perhaps ).
If you can find a dealer who has ( some ) SX900 in stock, I would buy one immediately if I were you.

Good luck,

JH
A very happy SX900 owner
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 09:00:55 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
I have to agree with Jeff about securing the SX900 now.  I had a psr S970 that I loved, but was thrilled by my SX900.  The melding of many elements of the old system together with the new, made it relatively easy to switch over.