Author Topic: Arpeggios  (Read 1959 times)

Offline gskip

Arpeggios
« on: September 01, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »
why no speed control on apps? Mine is grayed out and the arps are unusable. I read in the manual the speed controls only work on trills and tremolos. Why even put that feature on the board if you can’t edit it.
Skip

Re: Arpeggios
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:37 PM »
Hello Skip,

I suggest you to take a look to the following thread, very interesting:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,46696.msg366937/topicseen.html#msg366937

Hope it will answer to your question.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Offline gskip

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 10:21:27 PM »
 ;)Thanks!
Wonder why no mention of that feature adjustment in either manual?
Glad this forum exists!

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
Dear Skip,

don't wonder for user manual lacking info....

I had several Korg worships before to join the Yamaha world. In both cases (Korg and Yamaha) I learned from the Forums much more than from the user manuals.

I could realize that the "experts" of the manufacturers cannot cover everything in the manual. But I don't know why they do not arrange a collection of tips and tricks, including items that have been better explained by forum members. It could be easy done with a download in the same page where the user manuals are. That could help tremendously all the owners, and even more the newcomers.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:53 PM »
It's true that Yamaha includes very little information on how to use the arpeggiator after they added one to the arranger keyboards. There are many Pop songs over the years that use arpeggiators in the music.  Enya and Celine Dion's music are 2 artists that come to mind.  And of coarse EDM uses arps very heavily. There are musicians who manually play arps, but the arpeggiator can play phrases that would very difficult to play by hand. Especially the very fast up and down ones.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 04:56:39 PM »
It's true that Yamaha includes very little information on how to use the arpeggiator after they added one to the arranger keyboards.

Spot on Joe. I remember you posted some other very useful hints on how to use the arpeggiator a while back. Without a bit of guidance, it's almost impossible to get anything out of it.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 01:10:08 AM »
I wish Yamaha had included sysex strings for the arpeggiator parameters in the Data List book.  On my Motif Rack XS I can control (real-time) the Arp Note Gate Time with a foot pedal to make the arp more dynamic as I play.  And with sliders, I can control the Unit Multiply to halve or double the speed, and Note Velocity of the arps which will vary the timbre on some my analog pack voices.  It would be nice to do that with my S970.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:02:04 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 02:42:31 AM »
;)Thanks!
Wonder why no mention of that feature adjustment in either manual?
Glad this forum exists!

Hi gskip,

If you search the Genos Reference Manual for the term "arpeggio" in your PDF reader, you will find relatively quickly (on page 140) the following parameters that can be assigned to Live Control Knobs or Sliders:

Editing the Assign Types of the Live Control Knobs and Sliders (Live Control)

Harmony/
Arpeggio     

HrmArpVol
(Kbd Harmony/
Arpeggio Volume) 

Adjusts the volume of the Keyboard Harmony
or Arpeggio function.
ArpVel
(Arpeggio Velocity)

Adjusts the velocity of each note of Arpeggio.
The value shown in the Live Control view is indicated as a
percentage of the default value for each Arpeggio type.

ArpGateT
(Arpeggio Gate Time)

Adjusts the length of each note of Arpeggio.

ArpUnitM
(Arpeggio Unit Multiply)   

Adjusts the speed of Arpeggio.

However, in the chapters dealing with the Arpeggion function (Owner's Manual pages 56-58, Reference Manual pages 46/47) there is obviously no reference to these Live Control options. :(

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 05:14:21 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic