Author Topic: E463 chorus types  (Read 1663 times)

Ty5guy

E463 chorus types
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:49:34 PM »
I am looking for info on the three different types of chorus effects available on the PSR E463 keyboard. When I switch between these three different chorus settings, I don't really hear any differences. Can anyone tell me what they each are designed to do ?

Offline overover

Re: E463 chorus types
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:19:23 PM »
Hi Ty5guy,

welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

I have not found any information anywhere in the Yamaha Data Lists (of various PSR-E, PSR-S, SX, Tyros models and Genos) about the parameter settings used for the individual Chorus effect types. And there is obviously no indication in the manuals of how the different Chorus types differ in terms of sound.

I suggest that you, if possible, use (good) headphones and try out the three Chorus types with different voices (e.g. clean electric guitars, grand piano, brass and woodwind voices and of course the voices that you originally intended to use with a Chorus effect. In this way, you should definitely hear differences in sound between the three Chorus types.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 11:25:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Ty5guy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:23:54 PM »
I was afraid that was the answer I might get. I've looked high and low for the information....all to no avail. I contacted Yamaha....no response. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800 headphones that I paid $1,400 last year,  so your suggestion is probable what I'll end up doing.  Thanks for the response.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
Hi --

I tried to do some analysis by looking back to olden times (QY-70) as the PSR E and PSS chorus/reverb types date back decades:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/pss-chorus-a-dusty-look-back/

To make a long story short, here are tables of chorus and celeste parameter values:

Param#  Parameter            Chorus1 Chorus2 Chorus3 Chorus4
------  -------------------  ------- ------- ------- -------
   1    LFO Frequency        0.25Hz  0.33Hz  0.16Hz  0.37Hz
   2    LFO PM Depth         54      63      44      32
   3    Feedback Level       +13     +0      +0      +5
   4    Delay Offset         106     30      110     104

Param#  Parameter            Celeste1 Celeste2 Celeste3 Celeste4
------  -------------------  -------- -------- -------- --------
   1    LFO Frequency        0.50Hz   1.17Hz   0.16Hz   0.33Hz
   2    LFO PM Depth         32       18       63       29
   3    Feedback Level       +0       +26      -20      +0
   4    Delay Offset         0        2        2        0

QY-70 Chorus3 has the same MSB/LSB as PSR-E Chorus2. QY-70 Chorus 1 has the same MSB/LSB as PSR-E Chorus3. Confusing? Yes, but these are probably the PSR values or close to it. None of the QY-70 presets have the same MSB/LSB as PSR, so your guess is as good as mine.

Now, the really bad news. The PSR-E series, at best, is XGlite. XGlite implementations typically don't support the XG messages that set effect parameters. Therefore, what you hear is that you get. In other words, the effect presets are hardwired.

Hope this helps -- pj

Ty5guy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 06:57:06 PM »
PJD.....you went above and beyond the call of duty to come up with there detailed answer....thanks.....

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 12:26:35 AM »
No prob! I've kind of wondered about this, too.

The SHS-500 Sonogenic has essentially the same effects as the PSR-E463. Then there's the PSS-A50. Both are fun to play!

All the best -- pj